Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hallo! Hat Help?

cjw314

New in Town
(Couldn't resist...)

Greetings gents! Lurker turned poster Chris here; I hope your Thursday is going well.

I'm looking to buy a men's hat for winter this year, and am considering a few styles. I'm fairly new to the idea, owning a single lightweight synthetic hat I use solely for camping/hiking.

So, I've spent a couple of weeks lurking, researching, reading, etc, and am consistently confused as to where to start. Sure, I can go to the mall and buy a stingy paper fedora (-and if I were going to buy a stingy brim fedora, it'd likely not be paper...), but that's not really what I have in mind. I'm also not as fortunate as some who have access to an actual hat store, so I've been trying a few on via Photoshop... :grin:

I'm still looking for confidence in my style choices; am I actually the fortunate owner of a nondescript, ovular shaped head and free to comfortably wear most any type of hat that... fits? Every 'safe' choice seems to be so tall - and at 6'3", I was assuming I wanted something that doesn't necessarily add to that as I imagine a 5" crown would...

That all being said, do you have any particular styles you'd recommend for a 'first
hat'? Thanks for your reading time. : )

Obligatory reference photo:

leML4.png

---
Sincerely,
Chris

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Could you describe your everyday clothing choices, preferred colors, and intended usage for a hat (formal, casual, outdoors, etc.)?

A hat is an accessory and complements your personal style. If you can tell us more about your style, we can get a better idea of what kinds of hats would top it off.

Ah, and welcome to the Lounge!

Welcome Chris.

I, unlike you, am a vertically challenged 5' 7" or so balding fellow. I started with low crowned stingies, but very quickly graduated to higher crowned, larger brimmed hats. For me, a 5-51/2 in. crown and 2 1/2 brim seems about right. My Western type hats might be a little bigger.

Most advantageous would be the opportunity to try on various hats in different styles crown heights and brim widths to see what would look best on you. You may start out with something and find something different looks best after you get used to wearing a hat regularly. For that reason, even if you buy something, I would try a lower price hat, not a $500 custom right off the bat.

Good luck in you search.

Welcome Chris to the Lounge.
Your face & head shape more than your height dictate how tall of a crown looks good on you.
What looks good is symmetry. Crown to brim/Brim to chin ratio...there are some threads on face shape & hat styles.
Being tall usually means you can pull off wider brims.
I am partial to thin to mid-ribbon hats. Wide ribbons just don't look right on me to me which is all that matters for me....
I think everybody should have a nice country hat = Open Road style, see Akubra Campdraft....good outdoors lid that can dress up with a blazer.
Good luck in your quest....

cjw314

New in Town
Ah! Quick replies - I guess my ruse of lunchtime-ing worked! ; )

Neo- I'm in a small, biz casual office, but I'm ignoring that and trying lately to dress more... my age. Collared shirt, occasional blazer, dress shoes is the 'uniform'. At this point, I want to get used to the idea with something for the commute, and then invest in a nicer 'dress' hat for events.

Hato- I agree completely, but don't even know how close the nearest hat store is. Is there any crossover from western clothing into ... less-western hats? I might have a shot there. As much as I'd like an Optimo (amazing website and gorgeous hats! who wouldn't want one after visiting!?) I'm certainly starting less expensive.

gtdean48- because of the verticle symmetry! I realized after I'd posted this that I should have asked /why/ a hat looks good, not /which/ hat looks good. I'd rather learn /how/ to wear, not merely /what/. ; )

Today I spent lunch at the mall; found 3 fedoras that fit at department stores, and I looked a lot sharper in a stingy fedora (tweed pattern, thin cheapo) than I thought I would. The problem is, those were the only 3 hat styles with brims, and they were all basically the same crown height.

In the end, the one that surprised me most was the pork pie; I saw no way it would look good on me, yet, somehow up and askew a touch, it felt dapper. :confused:

Off to consider my vertical symmetry...

---
Sincerely,
Chris

Last edited:

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I am going to go out on a limb and suggest an Akubra Stykemaster

1746gry_lg6.jpg

It is made of fur felt, has a 4 1/4" crown and a 2 1/2 inch brim. It is not a stingy brim or a high crowned "Indy", but is an urban style that is somewhere in the middle.

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest an Akubra Stylemaster. It is made of fur felt, has a 4 1/4" crown and a 2 1/2 inch brim. It is not a stingy brim or a high crowned "Indy", but is an urban style that is somewhere in the middle.

These are also very reasonably priced for a first hat.

If you live in a Metro area, there are probably some decent hat stores around, or you could always try the thrift store/antique store route to find a vintage hat to try on.

cjw314

New in Town
Bill- Thanks for the lead! That does look like the hat I was imagining; I'll add it to my research list. :p

Hato- I'm in a Metro area, but I haven't seen /any/ hat stores around - it appears department stores are the only choice (aside from western clothing stores...) or thrift/vintage store. I've been dropping by local resale shops lately and am lucky to find any 'real' hat, let alone one that's a 7 5/8. Certainly still looking... ever have any luck at estate sales?

cjw314

New in Town
jlee- thanks for the link; the nearest one appears to be in Nashville, about 4 hours away.

Otherwise, I can only guess at what anything that /isn't/ a fedora would like on me... that, and Photoshop. : \

---
Sincerely,
Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara