Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hanger for heavy Leather Jacket

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I use wide wooden hangers for all of my best jackets to distribute the weight evenly over the largest surface area possible. I was able to buy 10-12 of these hangers for five bucks apiece from a men's store that was going out of business a few years ago. I also have a couple of wide plastic hangers that probably also equally as well.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Or try this, nice cheap option. Available from most DIY, hardware or heating store. Available in different diameters, just cut to lengths

P5010034-1.jpg

P5010035-1.jpg

P5010031-1.jpg

Never had a problem with distorted leather including the 60 year old A2 seen hanging or even sheepskins.
John

Unwissender

One of the Regulars
Thank you Guys :)

My hanger from "hangers project" have 2 inch on shoulder. Please look the Link. If that's not enough?
I do not care what a coat hanger costs. I only have much fear that the jacket is broken with my coat hanger and get bumps on the back and the shoulder

Unwissender

One of the Regulars
Thank you Jan! :)

You mean well, I could easily hang my jacket because it?
I was a few days ago at Manufactum in Frankfurt (I've been looking for weeks after good about sweaters). They did not have these hangers.

Physicist

New in Town
Hello there :)

I have bought this coat hanger.

http://www.hangerproject.com/mens-hangers/mens-jacket-hanger.html #. UI1ZC4Y4edA

$70 for 3. Kind of pricey.

Where are they made?

It says they're made from American maple. But that doesn't mean they're made IN the USA.

I've been looking for some cedar hangars. I contacted one company and asked where they were made. They said that the wood was American, but they are made in China. No thanks. "Made in China" is the deal-breaker for me.

I've bought some from cedaramerica.com However, they don't seem have any any thick (2") hangers.

devilish

A-List Customer
I think that both hanging and laying flat have disadvantages. The weight on the shoulders is the downside to hangers. Everyone who dislikes hangers says lay it flat but I don't like the fact that if you lay a jacket flat for too long you get 'storage creases' along the sleeves and body edges. These can be almost impossible to get out. I feel a properly sized hanger is the best option, if the jacket is worn for a little while then body heat will relax any weird shoulder shape but the long flat crease lines always seem to stay. They make the jacket look like a cardboard cutout.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, why hang them at all. I have aroudn 12 jackets and I fold them up and stack them in open boxes. Helps break them in a bit too.

The problems come with BIG jackets. They're heavy and wider. Those two things can correlate to lumps in the shoulders if not careful. The average 36-42 jacket isn't likely going to be an issue on a normal to large hanger. I'm sure that a 38 FQHH jacket weighs pounds less than a 48-52 model. Hangers are made for the "average" jacket... likely anything over 44 is beyond most. I'm laying on my Ventura right now. I used the Aero 50's HBD as a pillow yesterday. When it's not jacket weather, it's time to get creative breaking them in :)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The problems come with BIG jackets. They're heavy and wider. Those two things can correlate to lumps in the shoulders if not careful. The average 36-42 jacket isn't likely going to be an issue on a normal to large hanger. I'm sure that a 38 FQHH jacket weighs pounds less than a 48-52 model. Hangers are made for the "average" jacket... likely anything over 44 is beyond most. I'm laying on my Ventura right now. I used the Aero 50's HBD as a pillow yesterday. When it's not jacket weather, it's time to get creative breaking them in :)

Good god I can't fathom a size 48+ FQHH jacket of any kind. At least you have a conversation piece: "Here, try lifting this".

Jiajia

New in Town
I just bought one CLI-MATE MOISTURE REDUCING CLOTHES HANGER. It can both maintain the shape and reduce dampness. When the hanger is full of moisture, just put the moisture bag in the microwave for several minutes and then it can be reused. A lot of fun! I just bought it a couple of weeks ago, so I can't tell will it work well on my leather jacket, so far so good.

Here is the link: http://www.ibuys.com.au/mate-moisture-reducing-clothes-hanger-clidh500w-p-1621.html

frussell

One Too Many
Scott has a valid point about the larger jackets. My previous steer labeled as horse LHB weighed in at just over 11 lbs., which would have been way too heavy to hang. I found some wide, bigger shoulder hangers, but the weight of the jacket still put too much stress on the shoulder points of the jacket when hung. I usually wad it up my leather jackets up when new, and throw them in the closet, or toss them over the back of a chair, folded like you would carry a coat on your arm when not wearing it. I found the heavy steer more likely to bulge and get lumps from hanging than horse, but that's just my take. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner