Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone bought the hat expander from hatsblocksdirect ?

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
Hi I phoned the gent who runs this and his Father answered (as owner was on holiday) and didn't know if the hat expander was a one size item.

They are made to order and well priced for a made to order item.

I'm wondering if its a one size fits all because I know with hat jack's there are three sizes

http://www.hatblocksdirect.co.uk/products/Hat-Expander.html

That's the product

Anyone ever bought one?

I've been in desperate need for one as i have so many hats that are unwearable.

Also what are people experience with these items how long should you leave a hat to get it back to its original size?

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
Looks like the HatJack, but cheaper. i got the L and Med to cover all hats/caps. Really useful for easing Hats and dealing with a sweaty hat when I get in. Also v.useful for easing caps - just a couple of turns has made a good fit on some old favorits that had hrunk just a bit and on new bargains that were just a bit tight.
Really interesting site BTW

-30-

A-List Customer
I am somewhat confounded by this stretcher or "expander", either the above or The Hat Jack; they both being alike in (all ways) mechanical.

Let us give N/S, E/W. The unit is lengthened N/S by the use of the centre's threading, and therefor stretches the hat's diameter in THAT DIRECTION.

Having written that, my query is if one wants a "long"(er) oval, all is well, but what of the E/W dimension, there being NO INCREASE.

The hat is not "expanded" in all directions as should? be the case. There is no provision for an N/S AND E/W increase in diameter.

There is no provision for the application of shims for the E/W increase so that the hat is longer at the (possible) expense of the E/W stretch.

The above application after having been done, alters the fitment of the hat in more ways than one in that yes, the crown is longer (N/S)

but the shape of the brim whilst upon one's head is distorted in an odd manner.

Am I reading too much into this, or is this a rather poor take on this item?

On another note, the Hat Jack sold by Lock & Co is a poorly made example with an unfinished rough edge and sweatband contact area

in comparison to the above linked site.

Regards,
-30-

Last edited:
It will only stretch front to back. In most cases this will help with long oval. If you stretch half a size it shouldn't make a noticible visual difference. If you leave the stretcher in for a long period of time you might see marks on the sweatband.

carldelo

One Too Many
Manhattan Wardrobe supply sells a 4-way stretcher that increase width and length simultaneously:

918.jpg

http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/products/wooden-4-way-hat-stretcher-deluxe-6-to-7

These hat stretchers are much thicker than a hat jack - 2-1/4" thick vs. 1-1/2". Also, there are sliding pins so the halves do not rotate with respect to each other. The only drawback is that it's limited to 7-1/2. I know because I tried it in the store, and before it got up to 7-3/4 it all came apart (but went back together easily). They also have the regular N-S stretchers in four sizes:

http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/products/wooden-hat-stretcher

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot