Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone ever successfully extended the sleeves of a vintage leather jacket?

Novos

One of the Regulars
I know, I know, I should just stay away, but what if you've spied an awesome vintage leather jacket that you just have to take a chance on. On paper the fit is perfect, but the sleeves are 1" too short. Since I'm 6'1", this is a common occurrence with vintage gear, but I want to believe that there is a way...although I know there isn't.

With that sad preamble out of the way, is there anyone crazy enough to successfully extended the sleeves of a leather jacket? Added knit cuffs a la bomber jacket, added extra leather, just lived with the short sleeves? I assume that any attempt to add to a leather jacket will just end up like a Frankenstein's monster, but since I pass over so much vintage gear solely because of the sleeves, I'd like to think that someone has done the impossible.

Edward

Bartender
There really are only two options: learn to live with a slightly short sleeve, or save up for an Aero or similar that can be made to your measurements. Trying to add length, you'll only run up a big bill for at best a half-assed result (more likely you'll end up spending a lot of money to ruin a vintage piece).

RRackleyAdams

New in Town
This sounds crazy, but your real option here would be to send it to someone like Bill Kelso Mfg and have them completely replace the sleeves. They have replaced knits & zippers for people, and I think even a collar.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have seen in done. French style button up cuffs added where the cuff was originally a simple open ended barrel type. This can work if the leather is a reasonable match. But you'll always know it isn't original.

The only way is, as said above to add a buttoned cuff, or to add knit cuffs. The seam allowance, unlike a suit jacket, at the end of the sleeves will be maybe 1cm, and that can't be used for extension, unless you want a raw edged cuff. Same allowance at the shoulder end, but that's needed to attach to the shoulder.

A hiding to nothing, i'm afraid.

bk

D

Deleted member 16736

Being 6'1", you should be able to find plenty of jackets long enough for you. What is your sleeve length? I'm 6'2" and take a 26" sleeve. You're probably right at the cut-off between vintage and reproduction. If you can take a 25" sleeve, you should just wait for a vintage jacket. Even if you need a 25.5" sleeve, you should have some options. 26" sleevers like myself are stuck window shopping on eBay and telling other people about their great finds.

Novos

One of the Regulars
Being 6'1", you should be able to find plenty of jackets long enough for you. What is your sleeve length? I'm 6'2" and take a 26" sleeve. You're probably right at the cut-off between vintage and reproduction. If you can take a 25" sleeve, you should just wait for a vintage jacket. Even if you need a 25.5" sleeve, you should have some options. 26" sleevers like myself are stuck window shopping on eBay and telling other people about their great finds.

Don't get me wrong I have scored vintage gear, but I find a lot of the jackets I gravitate towards, German and English from the 50-60s tend to have shorter sleeves. In my experience, with my interests in mind, a lot of the jackets I want seem to be under the 25" threshold.

Last edited:

Novos

One of the Regulars
I have seen in done. French style button up cuffs added where the cuff was originally a simple open ended barrel type. This can work if the leather is a reasonable match. But you'll always know it isn't original.

Hmmm...interesting! Wondering if anyone has any pics of this?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm...interesting! Wondering if anyone has any pics of this?

Yeah. A friend of mine had it done in an era before digital cameras, before the internet and before anyone thought of taking photos of jackets to share with others. ;)

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
For an A-2, have longer cuffs added on. Could be your most 'authentic' option, I mean they did this in WW2. You can find many pics with jackets with longer cuffs... I had considered this every time I got an Eastman ;-) I would replace the waist knit at the same time to keep the same 'look'. Question then is, so how much will this cost you on top of the jacket? And who would do it? Being in Canada(?) You will be paying good 'tom' to send to Aero/ ELC/ Bill Kelso.... Perhaps John Chapman can send you the knits and get a local hotshot to sew it up for ye. Good luck.

armscye

One of the Regulars
I just did this!

Just did exactly what the original poster has asked about, with an Eighties horsehide Vanson Enfield. I needed two inches, since i have a gorilla sleeve length of 37 inches.

After looking at several methods with Dena at GreatLeather.com (wonderful artisan leatherworker, by the way), we decided NOT to extend the Enfield's elaborate zip cuffs, but rather to add an "extension" at the elbow, in effect creating a reinforced elbow pad look. We found a fairly well-matched 3.5 ounce upholstery cowhide, and Dena did a magnificent job of attaching the lower sleeve at a slight angle to the upper. I am extremely pleased with the look, and it is totally functional with no sleeve stiffness-- in fact the articulation of the sleeves seems improved. I can provide pix if anyone is interested.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Look at some of Aero's jackets such as the Highwayman with it's slanted cuff outer patch. Surly this could be adapted(copied) if you can match the leather. And no, I dont mean cut up a Highwayman;)
I have just purchased a pair of motorcycle lace up trousers as the leather has the same thickness, grain etc as a one piece racing suit I have for track work. This was originally a very expensive bespoke set of racing leathers but the original owner had short arms. The waist band of the trousers has enough leather for two button up cuffs and is just the correct width. Hoping to get it done for £10 per sleeve.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Just did exactly what the original poster has asked about, with an Eighties horsehide Vanson Enfield. I needed two inches, since i have a gorilla sleeve length of 37 inches.

After looking at several methods with Dena at GreatLeather.com (wonderful artisan leatherworker, by the way), we decided NOT to extend the Enfield's elaborate zip cuffs, but rather to add an "extension" at the elbow, in effect creating a reinforced elbow pad look. We found a fairly well-matched 3.5 ounce upholstery cowhide, and Dena did a magnificent job of attaching the lower sleeve at a slight angle to the upper. I am extremely pleased with the look, and it is totally functional with no sleeve stiffness-- in fact the articulation of the sleeves seems improved. I can provide pix if anyone is interested.

Yep - provide pix. Be nice to have a pictorial reference for this issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo