Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone passed/received a jacket to/from son/dad?

sshack

A-List Customer
I've got one last Aero that has been lurking in closet. Wondering if I should save it for my son... he's definitely going to be taller than my 5'10" so it may not fit.

All the other jackets are going to be buried with me or donated to the future Fedora Lounge Wing at the Smithsonian.

My boy has his own leather and I look forward to handing down my gear to him. The way he is growing none may fit though.

My dad has lived and been all over the world. He has owned a wide collection of leather jackets and other gear in many different hides. Some peculiar. Putting it mildly and with as much affection as possible, most are not my style or fit. But I have them because they are from my pappy.

NZJono

One of the Regulars
Received a good heavy wool shirt (almost jacket weight) from my dad years ago that he bought at least 55 years ago. I still wear it occasionally when hiking. Still in great condition
IMG_0075.jpeg
IMG_0074.jpeg

sshack

A-List Customer
Best to pass em down now before they outlaw the wearing of hides and such. You know the will.
B
Lol, I actually was reading about elephant leather the other day. Legal in some countries, especially if it was taken from culled elephants (which may be hard to enforce or verify). I was tempted. Sometimes I creep myself out.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My dad is 5 inches shorter than me and about 25 pounds lighter so there aren’t any jackets that we can pass back and forth these days. I think the sweet spot for that was when I was about 13 or 14 years old. I found one of his USMC field shirts leftover from basic training and I wore it all the time, I remember he also had a cool old Lee denim vest that I would wear because I thought it made me look tough.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
my dad passed when I was 22, thinking about it I have nothing that used to be his, style wise we don't share anything in common, but for many years he was civil engineer and at the time I studied architecture and I draw comic after that... but strangely I didn't get his pencil or ruler, or his drawing board or anything, we didn't live in the same household from much earlier as I lived with my grandparent, oh he handed me down his old bifold wallet when he bought a new one but that was many years before his death when I was still in highschool and didn't have any wallet prior that.

Edward

Bartender
c.1973, my dad complimented a leather blazer a friend of his wore. My mother saved up and bought him one for Christmas. It was always just a little too small (and Dad was never a 'fashion' guy), so it never got worn. I took hold of it in the nineties, at a time when grunge was big, then later it had a sort of Jarvis Cocker vibe. I still have it, not worn it for years, but the wife has designs on it now... SI 70s blazer style, big lapels. Very much like the jacket Pacino wears in Carlito's Way, but a bit shorter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails