Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HAT ADORNMENTS: ribbons, bows, pins, pugs, leather, etc.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
IMG_4437.jpg

IMG_4389.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

medalist_3.jpg

IMG_2064.jpg

P1070658.jpg

P1070620.jpg

IMG_2176.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
All great so far! Any nomenclature to go with these bow styles? I love the look of that tooled leather, too.

Here's one of my favorite little subtleties, from a Lee Overbrook:
005copyo.jpg

And why not include these:
043copy.jpg

I made this one in the choker style (with real sinew!), but it's very heavy and a bit bulky so I don't keep it on regularly. I used buffalo bone beads (stained by submerging them in coffee), turquoise, and small wood and nickel beads. The back has a scrap leather tie.
texashatterspanamabowle.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I sold this hat quite awhile ago, but was in love with the feather, and so saved the photo.
020fa.jpg

conchos, anyone? Or are these just studs?
sweatedanddusted.jpg

faded old pug.
0022m.jpg

blue and yellow feather, since removed.
025pa.jpg

This feather stays in:
dobbsguildedge004copy.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
And to complete my contribution for today, my pins.
Dog.
001ryqe.jpg

rope lasso from John B.'s Austral
004ber.jpg

And this little revolver never could decide which hat it wanted to stick to after it was removed from the shag carpet band on a Stetson "Eddie Bauer."

002sks.jpg

It's not even a revolver, actually. Some of you gun connoisseurs help me out here! Sawed-off pirate musket?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Dinerman! I wish I knew more about these other things. After you posted that I looked up some images and, man, there are some beautiful examples.

Alan, thanks for posting that hat. That's one of my absolute favorites of yours.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I'm liking this thread. I like that little dog pin of yours, Jeff. It'd go great on a Whippet.
Here are mine. Though the only one I actually wear now is the DC3 on the Strat. The others I only rarely wear.

IMG_2810-1.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

Alan's cousin hat:

IMG_2223.jpg

Knox203.jpg

Antique Borsalino pin, I love this one. (I think Alan likes it, too ;) )

IMG_2875.jpg

job

One Too Many
Western style hatbands.

Palmstraw hat.
DSCN0761.jpg

Openroad like western.
DSCN0764.jpg

Leather band I use sometimes.
DSCN0765-1.jpg

Last edited:
And to complete my contribution for today, my pins.
Dog.
001ryqe.jpg

rope lasso from John B.'s Austral
004ber.jpg

And this little revolver never could decide which hat it wanted to stick to after it was removed from the shag carpet band on a Stetson "Eddie Bauer."

002sks.jpg

It's not even a revolver, actually. Some of you gun connoisseurs help me out here! Sawed-off pirate musket?

I just saw these today, Jeff. That dog reminds me a lot of my Redbone Coonhound!
The gun is indeed a derringer muzzle loaded pistol.

TipTop

Practically Family
Ray, that's quite the interesting piece of workmanship. Unusual to say the least. What hat will it adorn?
Haven't figured that out yet, Randall; want to see it in scale on the proposed hat first. Turquoise would probably look best on black, but I'm not a big fan of black hats. I have a recent dark brown gambler style that needs a band, so it may reside there for the moment, but that's why I was musing about a detachable "latch" of some sort to move it to other hats. I think it is very unique, but that may just be my newness to the western hat world.

frussell

One Too Many
TipTop - I've owned sterling hatbands before, and they look just fine on silverbelly hats as well. Just be careful, because like any silver jewelry, they will tarnish, especially in heat or humidity, and may leave marks on the felt. Mine were always on cowboy hats, placed over the original ribbon, and I wasn't worried about any stains or marks. I usually had to sew a loop through one of the holes, back to the felt to make sure it didn't come off my hat if I happened to come off my horse. That's a nice one you bought, and looks like you got it for a good price. Frank

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Can't wait to see it on your choice of hat, TipTop!

I thought this Mallory Torino was begging to be re-adorned, and so replaced the original feather and found a new home for the Derringer. Thanks for the info on that little pin, everyone. Do any of you have real-life examples of something similar?

mallorytorino002copy.jpg

Anybody have names for all the cool bows that have been pictured?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred