Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HAT ADORNMENTS: ribbons, bows, pins, pugs, leather, etc.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Rabbit; I wanted to check in and say thanks for sharing. Your insight into ribbon and pugs have been enjoyable reading sir.

On the pug side: Do you wear a pug on a felt hat? IF so, doesn't it make a big hole in the felt? I imagine that pugs could be easily used on a working hat to cover some of the dirt and staining. My yard/gardening felt hat would benefit from the additonal styling/hiding the pug would offer.

Eric -

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit; I wanted to check in and say thanks for sharing. Your insight into ribbon and pugs have been enjoyable reading sir.

On the pug side: Do you wear a pug on a felt hat? IF so, doesn't it make a big hole in the felt? I imagine that pugs could be easily used on a working hat to cover some of the dirt and staining. My yard/gardening felt hat would benefit from the additonal styling/hiding the pug would offer.

Eric -

Hello Eric,
a pug on a felt hat - not for me. Not anymore, that is.
Regarding possible holes: Of course, if the pug is sewn to the felt rather than hooked, it's no problem at all. It merely requires two stitches at the bow, and - optionally - the usual tacking along the ribbon's length. If you want to install a pug on a felt beater, why not. Me, I like beaten hats for gardening the way they are, sweat stains and all.

Edit:
The felt hats with pugs that I used to wear had sewn-on pugs. No hooks.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Yes, thanks for the post.

I'm wondering where the metal hook sets are available to purchase. Do you know? I often see great looking ties for a song, but I don't wear them very often. A straw hat in the summertime, however!

Mystic

Practically Family
As far as hooks for hat bands and pugs...

I wouldn't think there would be anything so special about them that a dupilcate hook couldn't be found in any sewing supply or fabric shop. Maybe even Walmart and Target's fabic dept.

Probably should be coated or something to lessen making stains on the pugs and hats if gotten wet or from heavy sweat.

Mystic

Practically Family
A pug with two pleats:

P1050462.jpg

Visible end, reverse side:

P1050466.jpg

P1050467.jpg

P1050465.jpg

Hidden end, top side:

P1050473.jpg

Hidden end, reverse side:

P1050472.jpg

Both of these pugs laid out straight - top side and reverse side (blow them up or download to view it properly). There's no curve, actually. The ribbons are just very flexible.

P1050483.jpg

P1050484.jpg

I absolutly looove that maroone 2 pleat pug.......I would love to have one exactly like that on my only Panama.

TipTop

Practically Family
Red Brim on a bowler--as this one on ePrey-- seems to recall some significance to me (not an undertaker, but something similar, denoting a profession or membership.) Does anyone recall this or am I imagining it?

El Sid

New in Town
The ribbon is really reminiscent of the ribbon used on Canadian/British officer's caps. Here it is on a '50's vintage RCAF cap:

Screenshot2012-02-22at104358AM.png

Screenshot2012-02-22at104409AM.png

and on a Second World War RCN hat:

Screenshot2012-02-22at104349AM.png

Only place I've ever seen a ribbon with that kind of pattern.

I think that's more along the lines of belting, than ribbon.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Don't recall the professional significance of the red brim on the homburg, but they are really eye-catching to me. Too bad that one's not my size and waaay cheaper. ;)
I want to say that Joshbru had a Stetson "Supper Club" at one time with a stunning burgundy binding. Really dug that one.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
057copy.jpg

kind of a wispy feather that I've come to enjoy on this Tim Bender beehive bowler.

and here's a closeup of the embellishments on my new [to me] Champ lord's hat, as requested. haven't yet decided what will stay on, but I have to admit I enjoy the dry humor of having a pin in the shape of a feather.

004copy.jpg

TipTop

Practically Family
Somewhere, I saw a question posted asking where one might buy hat pins? While doing some Bavarian research today, i ran across this site that specializes in such hats and offers pins and decorations. While they are all Bavarian/Austrian in style, I thought it worth posting here for future reference.
http://www.bavarianspecialty.com/categories/Accessories/Feathers,-Pins,-Gamsbart/

Also, I'll mention that most Euro hat pins are "collected" by the wearer at tourist venues or special events. I was given my first one, back in 1980, before I knew of such collections, at the Olympics in Lake Placid, by the Leica Company representative who stopped me on the street when he saw my camera around my neck.

Since then, friends who have gone to Olympic games have brought home pins as gifts, that could be displayed if I had the right hat with one of those traditional Alpine gamsbart "duster" pins, etc. Otherwise, I'm not wild about the Stetson logo hardware etc.

Last edited:

wmc

Familiar Face
057copy.jpg

kind of a wispy feather that I've come to enjoy on this Tim Bender beehive bowler.

and here's a closeup of the embellishments on my new [to me] Champ lord's hat, as requested. haven't yet decided what will stay on, but I have to admit I enjoy the dry humor of having a pin in the shape of a feathe

004copy.jpg

Bowlerman, is the ribbon on your hat an olive green in color?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner