Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HAT ADORNMENTS: ribbons, bows, pins, pugs, leather, etc.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Wow, that's sexy Eric! I just got sent here by Mike, so something tells me there might be a take on this in the near future.

Thanks. I see it getting a lot of head time.

Yell if I can provide any details of info. I did think of Mike and Che when I got thru cleaning this hat and put it on my head. Styl'n, bold styl'n that is just up their alleys. You are the guys!

Best, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks to all for their thumbs ups and comments.

I encourage others to post up their unique treatments to this thread. On occasion, perhaps like many of you, I dig up these as visual references. I see so many crazy nice hats in the forum that deserve to be immortalized in this and the like threads.

Eric -

I encourage others to post up their unique treatments to this thread. On occasion, perhaps like many of you, I dig up these as visual references. I see so many crazy nice hats in the forum that deserve to be immortalized in this and the like threads.

Eric -

May I humbly request, Eric, that you begin posting such photos directly to the Lounge, rather than linking them to a third-party site? In my opinion, if we're to archive these for future viewing, they should reside on the Lounge's servers. There are many dead links in older threads of hats and their accoutrements that I would love to see. Unfortunately, many old third-party links have expired and we have lost those records to the ether.

Thanks

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
Yessir.
798cdad3f334eca9d24abe1b798bab8c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Terrific shape and colors for that hat! And the pin is perfect.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab

Eric -

Yes, unfortunately these threads tend to get buried quickly so indulge me while I dump some Previously posted pics. Just about all of these have been touched by the hand of Bob Jesse of BSHW:

My fav pug is actually a vintage tie

A Supernatural

One of Garrett's

My favorite bow treatment is the rear bow not to be confused with the back bow

This vintage ribbon on my Mikado is from Garrett's ribbon collection

Again, the rear bow

A couple of vintage Garrett hats, first The Melton and then The Packard Hat

A Supernatural Bob refuses to sell me

A few more rear bows

Another vintage tie pug

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Yes, unfortunately these threads tend to get buried quickly so indulge me while I dump some Previously posted pics. Just about all of these have been touched by the hand of Bob Jesse of BSHW:

A Supernatural

One of Garrett's

Again, the rear bow

A few more rear bows

Another vintage tie pug
Lots of exceptional stuff goin on here...

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

A Supernatural
One of Garrett's
Again, the rear bow
A few more rear bows
Another vintage tie pug

Excellent post Mike of your beloved hat ribbons, pugs and etc. ! I appreciate your efforts and contributions.

Mike that is one of the best posts! Doggone if those are not hats that I will go to bed knowing I will dream of several of them. Hats that dreams are made of - it is true of your post. Cross my heart!

I will sit down the next couple of days and look into some pugs. The pugs and their multi colors remind me how well them must coordinate with our attire. I recall your posts with your Pendleton Jackets as being very sharp. Honestly the vintage tie idea is grand. If you will tell me more-how? Who?

Rear bow is great looking. Where does that originate from? I do not recognize the inspiration. I have seen some 30's hats with bows but not exactly in that style.

As to felts - geepers those fuzzy, hairy felts are the BOMB! Doggone they are really have eye appeal. I showed my wife your post and she actually asked "why don't you get one of those?" Seriously, she never suggests "another" hat, but I often hear "another hat." Same words, but a different intent. I need to jump on the intent.

On with the posts, Eric -

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Bob and Bob!

Eric, happy to assist in another possible hat acquisition! You must jump on the opportunity! I've yet to experience that kind of WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). The appreciation is mutual bro, your posts have always been an inspiration to me, both hats and dress. In fact your Beachcomber post has inspired both Bob and I, and I have now tasked him with something similar on a current project. He's up to the challenge!

Wish I could give you the answer you seek about the rear bow. I first noticed it on Bob's website on one of his catalog models. I've since seen it on various vintage hats, mostly European. Funny how once you know what to look for you actually notice it more often. I also own a fairly modern Beaver Brand that has it. Since seeing it, it has become my favorite bow. I can't say I've seen it quite as tweaked as one of Bob's.

As for the tie as pug, that's something I leave to Bob. I give him a tie and he turns it into a pug. Sewing & ironing skill is needed. I lack both.

As Eric says, let's see some more posts!

RJR

A Supernatural

One of Garrett's

Again, the rear bow

A few more rear bows

Another vintage tie pug
All good examples.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

A Supernatural

One of Garrett's

Again, the rear bow

A few more rear bows

Another vintage tie pug
Your welcome. Thanks for sharing.

navarre

Vendor
Excellent post Mike of your beloved hat ribbons, pugs and etc. ! I appreciate your efforts and contributions.

Mike that is one of the best posts! Doggone if those are not hats that I will go to bed knowing I will dream of several of them. Hats that dreams are made of - it is true of your post. Cross my heart!

I will sit down the next couple of days and look into some pugs. The pugs and their multi colors remind me how well them must coordinate with our attire. I recall your posts with your Pendleton Jackets as being very sharp. Honestly the vintage tie idea is grand. If you will tell me more-how? Who?

Rear bow is great looking. Where does that originate from? I do not recognize the inspiration. I have seen some 30's hats with bows but not exactly in that style.

As to felts - geepers those fuzzy, hairy felts are the BOMB! Doggone they are really have eye appeal. I showed my wife your post and she actually asked "why don't you get one of those?" Seriously, she never suggests "another" hat, but I often hear "another hat." Same words, but a different intent. I need to jump on the intent.

On with the posts, Eric -

Hey Eric, I'll chime in on the one sided ribbon treatment as to not falsely get credit for a vintage idea.

I first saw this in my early days of hat shaping at a western wear shop. I believe the hat was a mid sixties Champ.

A few years later I found this hat

This started me on a blue obsession that I still have today. The hat was too small, but I loved the color so much I couldn't pass it up. The original bow was standard, nothing special. After I stretched the hat however, it could no longer fit the hat in that configuration. I remembered the one sided bow treatment and this solved the problem while allowing me to keep the matching ribbon.

Since then, I have employed it on many custom hats. Mike has taken to it quite a bit and it is almost referred to as "the Temple bow" here in the shop. As I am always pumped to explore new ideas it has had many variations.

It's so simple but awesome at the same time. It is not common to find a vintage version, but I am not mistaken, Steve has quite a few in his European collection.

Bob

Mike, Bob, you guys have posted some real winners!

Bob, one of these days I am going to get you to make me a blue hat. I have always wanted one, but they are very few and far between in the vintage world.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Bob and Bob!

Eric, happy to assist in another possible hat acquisition! You must jump on the opportunity! I've yet to experience that kind of WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). The appreciation is mutual bro, your posts have always been an inspiration to me, both hats and dress. In fact your Beachcomber post has inspired both Bob and I, and I have now tasked him with something similar on a current project. He's up to the challenge!

Wish I could give you the answer you seek about the rear bow. I first noticed it on Bob's website on one of his catalog models. I've since seen it on various vintage hats, mostly European. Funny how once you know what to look for you actually notice it more often. I also own a fairly modern Beaver Brand that has it. Since seeing it, it has become my favorite bow. I can't say I've seen it quite as tweaked as one of Bob's.

As for the tie as pug, that's something I leave to Bob. I give him a tie and he turns it into a pug. Sewing & ironing skill is needed. I lack both.

As Eric says, let's see some more posts!

Mike; Your pugs are special. I have saved pics of a couple of your pugs as references and on occasion have looked for them on the web. Now I know the secret. A special pug makes the special hat REALLY an eye catcher. Vintage ties - cool!

Hey Eric, I'll chime in on the one sided ribbon treatment as to not falsely get credit for a vintage idea.

I first saw this in my early days of hat shaping at a western wear shop. I believe the hat was a mid sixties Champ.

A few years later I found this hat

This started me on a blue obsession that I still have today. The hat was too small, but I loved the color so much I couldn't pass it up. The original bow was standard, nothing special. After I stretched the hat however, it could no longer fit the hat in that configuration. I remembered the one sided bow treatment and this solved the problem while allowing me to keep the matching ribbon.

Since then, I have employed it on many custom hats. Mike has taken to it quite a bit and it is almost referred to as "the Temple bow" here in the shop. As I am always pumped to explore new ideas it has had many variations.

It's so simple but awesome at the same time. It is not common to find a vintage version, but I am not mistaken, Steve has quite a few in his European collection.

Bob

Bob; Thanks for clarifying the "Temple" bow treatment. Now that I have a better mental picture it is surprising how many ribbons have a similar ilk that I never noticed before. It is a ribbon treatment that I hope to be able to wear one day, on a blue hat with a fuzzy felted body.....just day dreaming.

A funny thing happened when I was posting some pics from my trip to City Vintage, I really saw what was in a pix. I believe this is a Knox

Great example of the ribbon on a sharp dimensioned fedora. Although I believe Che would help a poor hat be styl'n.

On with the ribbon, pug show.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner