Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Banding

chicken1616

New in Town
NewHat1.jpg
NewHat2.jpg
Newhat3.jpg
NewHat4.jpg
NewHat5.jpg
NewHat6.jpg
I purchased a couple of Akubra Snowy River hats a while back for half price from David Morgan, theoretically because of a defective leather hatband. I could never find a defect. I have been wearing one every school day as a beater, and it works well. The flat crown and turned up brim lets it fit well under a desk. I decided to start experimenting with making ribbon hat bands, and figured the beater Snowy was a good choice. I bought a little steamer off of Amazon for $20 ( and it worked extremely well!). The ribbon is some 100% polyester grosgrain I bought just to experiment. I have some 50/50 cotton/rayon Petersham and Schiff I will use for the real thing. I am also going to install a feather and a pin. Here is some pics of the unused Snowy and the one I just worked on.
Thanks to all who gave advice on uploading photos. It worked!

chicken1616

New in Town
I am thinking over some hat banding. I am really kind of ambivalent about the medium width ribbons (7/8"-1"), of which the prototype ribbon on the above hat is (7/8"). A thinner ribbon (3/8"-5/8") sends out a Western vibe, while a wider ribbon (1 1/2"-1 3/4") has a distinctly Eastern Metropolitan vibe, all other things equal (brim, crown, etc.). The medium ribbons don't do either. Maybe they are Midwestern.:)
I would like to hear some likes and dislikes on ribbon width.

RJR

I am thinking over some hat banding. I am really kind of ambivalent about the medium width ribbons (7/8"-1"), of which the prototype ribbon on the above hat is (7/8"). A thinner ribbon (3/8"-5/8") sends out a Western vibe, while a wider ribbon (1 1/2"-1 3/4") has a distinctly Eastern Metropolitan vibe, all other things equal (brim, crown, etc.). The medium ribbons don't do either. Maybe they are Midwestern.:)
I would like to hear some likes and dislikes on ribbon width.
I believe that most here believe that the TAR vs WAR is a personal preference thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21