Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat newbie searching for a top.

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
Well, after lurking for a little while, I just had to post up and ask for advise. I want to buy a fedora but need some guidance. Personally, I seem to like something with a med. width brim, and a narrow band. Something conservative, and not wild or large, yet not a derby type hat either. I do not dress up all too often, but do wear khakis and button shirts for work. (I am an insurance appraiser for auto damage)

I would trend towards a darker gray, black or dark brown I think. I measure 22.25" so it appears that I am a 7-1/8". Because this is my first fedora and I am not positive I can pull it off, I would like to stay in the $50.00 ish range for now.

I am a bit of a vintage nut, that is well known to others. Heck, I have a rotary phone on my desk (that is used about 15 times a day) and write only with vintage fountain pens. (I have a small collection I try to keep under two dozen) [huh]

If this helps, here is a photo of me... more of a weekend attire, moving shop equipment, but something wearable with jeans would be nice. I am new in this, but my wife adores hats, I think I can pull it off, so what's a guy gonna do?
PS, I do have a brownish "newsboy" style hat that I think I pull off very well and wear it all the time.

rd-10.jpg

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
I recomend a dorfman-pacific hat.

They are nice and relatively durable and I got mine for forty dollars and 55 dollars, it's nice. I got one in a tan and one in brown and they are great with khakis they have a model you are looking for I believe.

PS
Mine goes great with jeans

hope this helps

Macheath

One of the Regulars
How about something in green to match your drill press? :p

7 1/8 is perfect for vintage, and for $50, you could expect to get a lot more hat than any of us bigheaded fellows ever could.

Have you checked out the classifieds section?

I was serious about the green, though. I know color is largely a matter of preference, and by all means you should go with what you think looks good, but remember that green can be just as versatile as brown or grey, and IMO looks better with jeans since it's not as conventional a hat color.

Welcome to the Lounge, and happy hunting!

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
Hmmm, I did a quick Google search and found this one and I do like the look a lot! I should of mentioned that I also work outside, in New England all year long, so there are things that make this a very nice choice..

Is this the one you are thinking of?
6a940182-5533-437f-9ae4-27b7c9cf50b7.jpg

Justin, no problem with green shade, and if it is running in the tanish brown range, I really like the color. I tend to wear clothing in the brown / green shade as it is. (Heck, on photo I pulled off my computer just happens to have me in a green sweater!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn