Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Stores-a list

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
Only one store in Oklahoma? That's gotta be fixed.
Schafer Hat Works
107 N Main St
Noble, OK 73068
Phone: 405-872-9997

Fred resurrected a Cavanagh I found at a garage sale. And while he focuses on more western styled hats, he did have several fedoras when I went. He mostly sells hats that he makes, but does carry a few brands. He's made hats for both Bush presidents, a handful of country singers, and even Steven Tyler. Good guy to just chat with.

TarHeel1911

New in Town
San Francisco Hat Shops

My wife and I are visiting San Francisco at the end of the month; we'll be staying in the downtown area (between Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square). Are there any hat shops in that area worth taking a look at?

jcmjrt

New in Town
Paul's Hat shop is on Geary Blvd and I've heard that it's nice but haven't been there personally. If you get out of San Francisco (BART subway) there's a good hat shop in Oakland right at the 19th ST BART station. The store is Hat Guys and they are friendly and have a wonderful selection of hats. They do typically charge full retail.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Paul's doesn't have a whole ton of hats on display (they do have some, but it's not a big store). I take it they do a lot of custom hats. I've only ever been in to have some stretching done on one of my hats but the ladies there are quite nice. Beyond that and Hat Guys I can't really think of anywhere else.

hutch

Familiar Face
I do think Hat Guys at 1764 Broadway in Oakland has the best selection of hats in the bay area. I have to agree with jcmjrt, they are full retail but they usually have some really nice discontinued or previous year model hats at sometimes up to 70% off on racks in the back of the store. I frequently see many name brand hats on those racks. Easiest way to get there is by BART. The closest station to Union Square is the Powell Street station. Take either the Richmond or the Pittsburg/Bay Point line and get off the train at the 19th Street station in Oakland (5 stops). Take the stairs to the street level and Hat Guys is in that block. Be sure to watch the news before going to make sure there are no BART protests taking place tat day. Safe travels!

Hutch

EggHead

Practically Family
There is a store called http://cablecarclothiers.com/
It's on Bush street, a one block from Market street. About 5 blocks from Union Square. Besides European clothes, they sell lots of hats, but again it's full retail, although sometimes they have a 20% off sale.

There are other stores in SF, I have been in most of them, but if you are into classic fedoras, this one and Hat Guys are ones.

jcmjrt

New in Town
I can't really think of anywhere else.

There is another good store that I know of - in San Leandro on MacArthur Blvd...for those who have an automobile (no easy BART access). It's called Top Hatters and really has a wonderful selection of hats and at very reasonable prices. Now for the fly in the ointment - the couple who run it are in their 90s (have owned store since some time in the 40's), don't keep real regular hours and aren't just anxious for you to try on a hat. That said, I've bought a couple of hats there and they were definitely cheaper than they would have been at any other brick and mortar store I've seen.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
City Vintage Clothing Company in Daly City
Vintage clothing & fedoras, studio by apponitment only. they sell to film & serious fashionsitas.
note the password to get in is (staybrown)
email, cityvintage@hotmail.com 650-634-9537. easy 3 block walk from colma bart station.
Pauls Hat Works, custom stuff, very nice ladies, the shop is a step back in time.
take the 38 geary bus to 25th ave. easy ride from downtown.
Al's Attire in North Beach On Grant @ Vallejo, No Fedoras but killer custom made caps newsies etc.
tell em staybrown sent ya. Than walk up the block to the left get a slice at Golden Boy on Green st.

Kmadden

New in Town
Just wanted to say "Thanks!" to Marvelgoose and all the others who put together that fine hat sellers list.
My hat's off to all of you!

jff

New in Town
bencrafters hatters new york city brooklyn. purchased two hats excellent service. called the 13th steet store was told to talk to stanley at the broadway store he passed me to someone else who answer all my questions. ordered two hats from them got them the very next day great hatters great service.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
My hat Pilgrimage

Ok guys this summer the wife and I will be out and about a lot and I have the opportunity to go to a few large cities that have hatters we all know. I have a few questions. I will be in the Chicago area and was thinking about heading into Optimo. I have to admit even the thought of going there intimidates the hell out of me. Is there a retail shop or is it just a custom hattery? If they have off the rack hats can I get one for less than 200 bucks? Any help would be appreciated I will also be on the west coast so any thoughts on the CA area would be appreciated. Which hat shops/hatters to check out.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Optimo is not exactly a retail shop. They specialize in custom, made to measure hats. They have--this is at their south side location, I haven't been to the downtown, new one-- a lot of hats on display that are there to guide you, to let you try different fits and styles. If you happen to like one and it fits, I'm sure you'll be able to buy it. But not for less than $200 or $200. $595/650/1000 for felt. Milans $395, Montecristis start at $450.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Where on the west coast?

Around here in the Bay Area, there's Hat Guys in Oakland, which has a pretty good selection of fedoras (Stetson, Borso, etc). Paul's Hat Works in San Francisco proper is a neat place to visit, although they're a custom outfit too, with theirs starting at $650. Knudsen Hats, who specializes in Western hats and derbies, has stores in Richmond and Pleasant Hill.

In the LA area, there's the infamous Baron Hats.

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
Nathan's Mens Store, A Brick and Mortar store in Lakeland FL with a nice selection.

The place is called Nathan's Men's Store. It's located at 221 E. Main St. Lakeland, FL 33801 http://www.nathansmensstore.com/
I've been fedora shopping at this store in Lakeland FL since I was 19 years of age, and it's where I bought my first fedora back in 1999, a brown Stetson Colony. It's a fine menswear store in Downtown Lakeland FL that was started in 1942 and has an unusually large selection of fedoras. Straws, Wools, Fur Felts, Thick Beaver furs, and many name brands such as Borsalino (rarely in stock), Stetson, Dobbs, Bailey, and others.

They have friendly customer service (Ahmed knows his hats) who will get your head measured and will order any size or model in their catalogs they don't have in stock. I just bought another hat there a few weeks ago, a putty colored Dobbs Spirit straw fedora with a C-Crown and brown band and was reminded of how much I love going in there and trying on hats.

I took a few pics of the hat selection. The more expensive ones and those made of fur felt are keep in unlocked glass cases, and the less expensive ones like Stetson Retro Panamas, Dobbs and Bailey's wools and Dorfman Pacific/Scalas they keep on shelves and racks.

IMG-20120618-00831.jpg

IMG-20120618-00830.jpg

IMG-20120618-00828.jpg

IMG-20120618-00829.jpg

IMG-20120618-00835.jpg

IMG-20120618-00836.jpg

IMG-20120618-00833.jpg

IMG-20120618-00832.jpg

IMG-20120618-00839.jpg

IMG-20120618-00838.jpg

If you're ever in Central Florida you should stop by and give them a look over.

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
The Cowboy Way - Gatlinburg, TN

Gatlinburg - The Cowboy Way

I bumped into a retail hat store 'The Cowboy Way' in the Mountain Mall in Gatlinburg, TN (traffic light #6 on highway #441 in Gatlinburg). Highway #441 is the main drag through Gatlinburg. Most of the hats are cowboy hats, but fedoras were there also, Stetson, Resistol, & Beaver Brand fur felts in addition to the less expensive wool versions by various names. I think most of the stock looked like some dead-stock rather than all-new, but I could be mistaken about that. Some of the Stetson fedoras had such soft, pliable felt that I thought for sure it was vintage NOS - however, maybe Stetson is making some fedoras with less stiffener in them now, not sure about that. This is a boot and hat store, big shiny buckles also. I did not take any pictures and was unable to converse much with the owner, as I was there with family and could only spare a few minutes to peruse through the store. Thought I should pass this along - there is a genuine retail hat store in East TN, a good thing.

http://www.cowboyway.info/index.php..._116&sort=20a&filter_id=115&alpha_filter_id=0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo