Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatastrophe, a lesson to be learned

Fourman110

One of the Regulars
Went for a week long camping trip in our newer teardrop camper. There's not a lot of room in the camper and space is a premium. I'd successfully used a large over the door hanger to keep a fedora out of harms way, but woke up to heart palpitations when I didn't see it on the hook the other day.

Yep. Ended up sleeping on top of a 1950s Marathon. The first picture shows it after my initial panicked attempt to gently rebash without steam. Had to wait three days to get it in front of the Jiffy.

20180810_064735-2016x1134.jpg

That's where the permanent damage came in. While gently pulling the headband out it cracked and a piece fell off ($@!!&€♤~!!!).

It steamed out OK (pictures wet just after steam) and I was able to improve the diamond crease (sleeping on it apparently discouraged the teardrop from reappearing, but bloody hell.. even though it had some rust stains and a pretty sizeable moth nibble really like the hat. What a frustrating turn of events.

Lesson to be learned....don't create more problems when fixing another...

20180812_211249-1134x2016-567x1008.jpg
20180812_211238-1134x2016.jpg
20180812_211225-1134x2016.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Went for a week long camping trip in our newer teardrop camper. There's not a lot of room in the camper and space is a premium. I'd successfully used a large over the door hanger to keep a fedora out of harms way, but woke up to heart palpitations when I didn't see it on the hook the other day.

Yep. Ended up sleeping on top of a 1950s Marathon. The first picture shows it after my initial panicked attempt to gently rebash without steam. Had to wait three days to get it in front of the Jiffy.

View attachment 130846

That's where the permanent damage came in. While gently pulling the headband out it cracked and a piece fell off ($@!!&€♤~!!!).

It steamed out OK (pictures wet just after steam) and I was able to improve the diamond crease (sleeping on it apparently discouraged the teardrop from reappearing, but bloody hell.. even though it had some rust stains and a pretty sizeable moth nibble really like the hat. What a frustrating turn of events.

Lesson to be learned....don't create more problems when fixing another...

View attachment 130849 View attachment 130847 View attachment 130848
Total heartbreaker there Fourman!!
I hope that’s the only lesson you have to learn about vintage leather in sweatbands. You can NEVER tell, no matter how good the leather looks! I dread even trying to look behind them anymore using mirrors. Too many oh no’s!
And then there’s the perfect looking thread stitching.
My condolences.
Bowen

MondoFW

Practically Family
Total heartbreaker there Fourman!!
I hope that’s the only lesson you have to learn about vintage leather in sweatbands. You can NEVER tell, no matter how good the leather looks! I dread even trying to look behind them anymore using mirrors. Too many oh no’s!
And then there’s the perfect looking thread stitching.
My condolences.
Bowen
Peeling back vintage sweatbands to unveil any manufacturer tags is like defusing a bomb. Still building up the courage to figure out how much my Stetson boater costed back in the day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21