Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HATCO marketing question

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I have a question about HATCO bands and marketing. Hatco makes Stetson felt hats Resistol, Dobbs, and others. What is the difference between say a Dobbs fedora and a Stetson Fedora, or for that matter a Stetson Western and a Resistol.

From the adds I have seen it looks like Dobbs is marketed to an "ethnic" audience. What is the the target for each brand and because of this are there bargain to to had?

Also we seem to talk very little about Biltmore hats. Why is that?

Jeff

job

One Too Many
I think you are correct about Dobbs. Their hats tend to be dressy, formal, church hats. As for Biltmore hardly anybody sells them here. The places that sell them here carry only a fraction of their line up. Look at Biltmore's site then try to find those hats online. Usually you can find the special finish hats like the Eleganza. I guess they have never had a big U.S. presents.

From what i have heard and seen my opinion is this:

A friend of mine spoke with some of the manufacturers about the idea of bringing back a couple of older styles and found that the big guys are stuck in a rut. They chase after only what they see in the now. So if a specific region goes for certain styles they respond to the greater sales but it is tempered with a firm look at what their acceptable returns are. Look at some of the efforts by Stetson they introduce an open crown hat and then sabotage the sales with no real support.

Marketing and sales are related but are actually not the same thing. Marketing does research and tracks trends. Marketing is supposed to create the advertising and various sales tools /sales aids that supports the sales team. Some industries can rely on a need to provide all of the sales but most industries find that creating a need, want / desire is much more profitable. Advertising can inform a customer as to where to get an item but the strong advertising creates a desire. In items that have a quantifiable quality then marketing thru advertising helps steer the sales. An informed customer will often upgrade their purchase in a quality level when they are informed. Features and benefits are a powerful tool and it helps the sales team help the customer dial into the right selection for what they are doing. Some items are available in a good / better / best series of quality levels from a manufacturer. Take brake pads for a car- some people will always get the cheapest pads as the dollar amount is the over riding concern. Some people will upgrade to better or best level if they see a value and a need. That where the features and benefits info educates helping the selection but also creating a desire for an improvement. It addresses concerns.

That's is the rub with the big Hat manufacturers, they do so little advertising and offer so little information as to the materials used that for so many customers especially first timers that the sales tends to be driven on a style and color combination. It just seems like a self limiting approach by the big guys.

I recall someone saying that the Stetson ad in Classic Style magazine #1 was the first they had done in a long long time. They are content to rest on their laurels.

I know it is a little off topic but it is related to the original question.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I'm wondering who produces the marketing videos like this - Hatco or Stetson?

[video]http://youtu.be/HD-TRSO4p9I[/video]

I'm sure it's Stetson since non-hat products are included. Would Hatco be picking up some of the cost since they benefit from sales of Stetson hats?
I've never quite figured out this relationship, but Hatco certainly seems to be more than just an outsourced manufacturer of Stetson hats.

I'm sure it's Stetson since non-hat products are included. Would Hatco be picking up some of the cost since they benefit from sales of Stetson hats?

There may be some co-op'ing but I doubt it. Stetson is all about promoting the "brand" & that "brand" is rooted in The Stetson Hat.
All the other products benefit from The Stetson Hat which makes the marque valuable to license for sunglasses, shirts, cologne, etc.
Stetson should proudly promote the hat line to reap the funds from other articles wearing their marque. JMHO....

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Good point, Mr. Dean. Take away the Stetson hat and there isn't really much of the "Stetson Brand" remaining - the other products wouldn't be able to stand on their own.
So all the other Stetson products are licensed in a similar way to the hats? I guess it is in Stetson's (the brand owner) interest to keep up with the marketing to ensure those license funds keep coming in.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
The Stetson brand is about Fashion. These video's with the flashing sublimital stuff just do not work. Hats in todays world are a fashion accessory.
To complete a look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy