Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Celebrating National Beer Day with a Beer and Bowler. Sugar Shack Maple Stout.... cheers!
C26A9444-D020-4867-BEB4-8F5096448A88.jpeg
B7048246-ECB7-4EDF-8595-6D9F39B79CAA.jpeg

That’s a great Gannon. Would you recommend that tequila to one who is a bit of a tequila snob? I’ve never heard of it, but love to try new ones.
I guess it depends on what you like in your Tequila, & if you normally drink Repo or Anejo. The Plata is all Weber blue agave grown & harvested from a Single Estate. No peppery taste, a bit of glycerin for the mouth feel, smooth but for the blue agave lover. It's not aged, only rested for a couple of months in stainless steel. It rates very high in all reviews. I have not tried their Repo, Anejo or Extra Anejo.

What is your favorite Tequila?

I guess it depends on what you like in your Tequila, & if you normally drink Repo or Anejo. The Plata is all Weber blue agave grown & harvested from a Single Estate. No peppery taste, a bit of glycerin for the mouth feel, smooth but for the blue agave lover. It's not aged, only rested for a couple of months in stainless steel. It rates very high in all reviews. I have not tried their Repo, Anejo or Extra Anejo.

One of my favorites believe it or not.. Costco has their own Anejo that they only seem to have seasonally. It’s about only $20 a liter but man it is good. They seem to rotate through their Repo, Silver (which I think are $15 to $20 for liter and a half... and the Anejo. The other two are just fine. Better than average for sure... but man I love that Anejo.

Rumad

One Too Many

I’m an añejo guy but not solely. My favorite is Don Julio 1942. The first time I had it was in a Mexican bar/restaurant in lower Manhattan, at a hundred fifty a shot. Ironically, I now buy bottles for just a bit more than those shots cost. I like sipping tequilas. If I’m out (when ch was almost never even before social distancing) I order tequila in a snifter. Mostly I get confused looks, sometimes they don’t even know what a snifter is. I’m gonna try and find your Ocho, give it a try. Thanks for posting it, and responding. Now you have me in the mood for a blanco! Lemme see if I can dig something out.

One of my favorites believe it or not.. Costco has their own Anejo that they only seem to have seasonally. It’s about only $20 a liter but man it is good. They seem to rotate through their Repo, Silver (which I think are $15 to $20 for liter and a half... and the Anejo. The other two are just fine. Better than average for sure... but man I love that Anejo.
Costco gets everything from Kirkland. Kirkland is in Washington so they probably source their Tequila from Hornitos, would be my guess. Research Kirkland Signature Series (anything).

I’m an añejo guy but not solely. My favorite is Don Julio 1942. The first time I had it was in a Mexican bar/restaurant in lower Manhattan, at a hundred fifty a shot. Ironically, I now buy bottles for just a bit more than those shots cost. I like sipping tequilas. If I’m out (when ch was almost never even before social distancing) I order tequila in a snifter. Mostly I get confused looks, sometimes they don’t even know what a snifter is. I’m gonna try and find your Ocho, give it a try. Thanks for posting it, and responding. Now you have me in the mood for a blanco! Lemme see if I can dig something out.
I drink everything neat. If you drink it chilled it changes the taste, OTR will also. I drink Repo from time to time, but I really like the taste of good blue agave cooked in a clay oven. I will say that Tequila Ocho, Dobel & others I do like are cooked in Stainless steel ovens.

If you want to see if you really like blue agave cooked in clay ovens, try a bottle of 7 Siete Leguas, which happens to be Chamuco's favorite & who turned me on to it. Hard to find around here & I have to order it in.

Rumad

One Too Many
I drink everything neat. If you drink it chilled it changes the taste, OTR will also. I drink Repo from time to time, but I really like the taste of good blue agave cooked in a clay oven. I will say that Tequila Ocho, Dobel & others I do like are cooked in Stainless steel ovens.

If you want to see if you really like blue agave cooked in clay ovens, try a bottle of 7 Siete Leguas, which happens to be Chamuco's favorite & who turned me on to it. Hard to find around here & I have to order it in.
I’ve had that!! Unique flavor, and feel if I remember right, and VERY good. Forgot all about it, it seems I’m gonna start a list. Thanks HJ.

I’ve had that!! Unique flavor, and feel if I remember right, and VERY good. Forgot all about it, it seems I’m gonna start a list. Thanks HJ.
You can really taste the blue agave from a clay oven; to me it has more flavor, maybe some would think the flavor is not as clean as when cooked in a stainless steel oven.

If you're in the NE you might have luck shipping out of all the vendors in Brooklyn. I never had any luck. I order from CA & Denver, CO & have real good luck.

@Blare -- the reason for the research would be if you can identify Kirklands source for the Anejo, you might be able to buy it yr around when not available at Costco. Besides Hornitos it could be Olmeca also.

Rumad

One Too Many
You can really taste the blue agave from a clay oven; to me it has more flavor, maybe some would think the flavor is not as clean as when cooked in a stainless steel oven.

If you're in the NE you might have luck shipping out of all the vendors in Brooklyn. I never had any luck. I order from CA & Denver, CO & have real good luck.

@Blare -- the reason for the research would be if you can identify Kirklands source for the Anejo, you might be able to buy it yr around when not available at Costco. Besides Hornitos it could be Olmeca also.
Thanks for all the help and information brother

I’ve seen Hornitos mentioned as source and a couple others. And in passing seen it rated as a top rating... and crap. LOL. I’ve had the Hornitos Anejo.... maybe was because it was at twice the price... it just didn’t taste as good. :)

Thanks for all the help and information brother
Just thought of a good comparison between agave from a clay oven vs a stainless steel oven. When you were a kid & made popcorn at home, did you fight for the burned & half popped kernels or the white puffy ones? That taste difference pretty well captures it for me & what I prefer.

I’ve seen Hornitos mentioned as source and a couple others. And in passing seen it rated as a top rating... and crap. LOL. I’ve had the Hornitos Anejo.... maybe was because it was at twice the price... it just didn’t taste as good. :)
Being a Scotch drinker I had always heard how good Costco's Scotch was. I finally got to try some & to a Scotch drinker...it's not true!

Rumad

One Too Many
Just thought of a good comparison between agave from a clay oven vs a stainless steel oven. When you were a kid & made popcorn at home, did you fight for the burned & half popped kernels or the white puffy ones? That taste difference pretty well captures it for me & what I prefer.
Yessir I think I know just what you mean

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Here is a collage of pics from the past couple of days.

i-cn429Q4-M.jpg

(Delicious tap water, Founders Porter, Omni Sour, Caribou Coffee Brazilian roasted beans).

This afternoon I have filled the bird feeders and am going down to the dock to watch the waves crash into the shore. I am sipping some Redbreast 12. It has been awhile since I have sipped this and I am struck on how well balanced it is. Distilled at Middleton in oak and sherry barrels. IMO, it s a glorious whiskey with lots of development. It is the whiskey that makes me wish to book a flight to Ireland.

i-JDQ8hMJ-M.jpg

Cheers this afternoon, Eric -

Had some bad cabin fever yesterday so I loaded up my dog & a canoe, & headed out this morning early. Once we got on the river I never saw another living soul. Didn't find a single arrowhead or mushroom when I got out to hunt, but did enjoy a pot of coffee made on the riverbank out in nature. My open crown Akubra Territory made for the perfect hat even without a ribbon for it.

Back home now shootin' some Rebel Yell with a Stetson One-hundred. Here's to those whose last campfire has gone out.

IMG_7474.jpg

IMG_7476.jpg

IMG_7475.jpg

IMG_7479.jpg

IMG_7477.jpg

IMG_7478.jpg

Had some bad cabin fever yesterday so I loaded up my dog & a canoe, & headed out this morning early. Once we got on the river I never saw another living soul. Didn't find a single arrowhead or mushroom when I got out to hunt, but did enjoy a pot of coffee made on the riverbank out in nature. My open crown Akubra Territory made for the perfect hat even without a ribbon for it.

Back home now shootin' some Rebel Yell with a Stetson One-hundred. Here's to those whose last campfire has gone out.

View attachment 226602

View attachment 226604

View attachment 226603

View attachment 226607

View attachment 226605

View attachment 226606
Great combination HJ

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Puttering about while sipping some grapefruit juice. I recall a terrific college cocktail for me was grapefruit juice and Mountain Dew. Us "dumb jocks" who cared about our full scholarships would not get caught drinking by actually not drinking.

i-7nJX47q-M.jpg

Muking about this early evening in a Stetson Playboy sipping some freshly delivered Omni Brewing Co. beer. I am sampling some Sour Melt (Passion Fruit/Raspberry malted into this beer). A sour beer with a distinct fruit flavor. Similar sour as last year, but a lot less sweet on the tongue tasting and more hoppy. This is a beer that I understand from other reviewers on my beer site, that "beer aficionados" are not supposed to like these sour fruit beers. Bummer for them as I give it a big thumbs up for drink ability, enjoyment and satisfying taste.

i-cRKPLGQ-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto