Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats in the rain

Victor

One of the Regulars
Hat in the rain is fine but I don't think an umbrella is "sissy". It can be a bit fussy sometimes, especially in the wind or when carrying something in your hand.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Strong wind- hat comes off- I'm not gonna wear a chin strap.
Strong wind- umbrella becomes evil monster- useless for keeping you dry when you're alternately chasing it, being dragged by it- same with the hat- gone.
A worse problem is other folks' umbrellas- gonna pluck your eye out.
I hate people using umbrellas on windy days- pointless exercise...

Rain by itself, no problem but wind- no good at all.
We have pretty strong wind where I live, add rain and you're really gonna get wet.
Solution- hold your hat on with your hand- get a wet hand- don't lose hat.

BT.

artboynyc

New in Town
Me, I wear a hat, a raincoat and carry an umbrella. I also live in NYC, which means I may find myself walking a fair distance in the rain. Walk half a mile to the subway in just a hat and your head is dry but nothing else is. Makes the workday awful uncomfortable.

My question is, which hat do you wear in the rain? I try to wear one of my more beat-up numbers if I know it's going to pour, just in case. Does everyone do this, or are you all so confident in the durability of your lids that weather doesn't matter to you? (And if so, which hats do you find fare best in a downpour? I've wrecked a couple of cheap -- and not so cheap -- hats through the years.)

Engr-Chas

Familiar Face
artboynyc said:
My question is, which hat do you wear in the rain? I try to wear one of my more beat-up numbers if I know it's going to pour, just in case. Does everyone do this, or are you all so confident in the durability of your lids that weather doesn't matter to you? (And if so, which hats do you find fare best in a downpour? I've wrecked a couple of cheap -- and not so cheap -- hats through the years.)

I wear whichever hat goes with my ensemble/topcoat that I am wearing that day. I only own vintage and they are built to last! No worries.

Chas

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It was pouring here over the last few months and I decided that an umbrella was definately needed when water is coming down in tubs.

I lean toward my vintage hats when the rain decides to show itself in California. The modern ones I have can take the rain well and not droop, though modern hats still shrink.

the Borsalino you see in the avater to the left has seen some heavy rain, though because of how it was made back in the golden era, it can take the onslaught without much wear at all. Though with the dwonpours we had recently, I decided to spare my hats and grab the brolly.

Havana

One of the Regulars
Rain is a major concern to hat wearers in the South. Summer showers can come up in minutes and can be quite heavy. I grew up amongst cowboys and outdoorsmen and have chosen to follow their examples. These people believe in functional hats. They also believe in keeping "hands free" and not carrying anything you don't have to. Umbrellas are not even a consideration. In addition to everyday lids of straw or felt, they all seemed to have a wide brim "rain hat" and special coat for those heavy downpours. If you do use one of those plastic covers, take it off as soon as possible or it will cook and shrink your hat. When I wear straw in summer, I always carry one of those plastic shopping bags rolled up in my pocket to wrap the hat if can't get to cover. When it comes to rain, my head's expendable. My straw hat is not.

matei

One Too Many
Engr-Chas said:
Wear a hat in the rain..ofcourse..an umbrella has it's uses, like keeping your lady dry.

Chas

Very good point. My wife has instructed me in the fine art of holding the umbrella in the rain. It must be at the correct angle so that she stays dry... and I get half soaked.
;)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I had on my felt Fedora and a suit at the time and my little brother seen here in his chair had on the full kit. I was a bit jealous... plastic beats wool and felt.

If we keep getting the torrential rains here in California I may just invest in a waxed duster and a Drizabone (dry-as-a-bone) Ausy hats -- still has the old school look and can take the rain.

Jacobrain1-vi.jpg

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I'm sorry Sharpetoys but I hate those clear plastic rain covers. I'd rather my hat get wet than wear one of those "hat condoms". I feel that the hat's job is to protect me from the weather.
Of course, that could be part of why I've gone through so many hats.

The Wolf

kiltedjeeper

New in Town
matei said:
Very good point. My wife has instructed me in the fine art of holding the umbrella in the rain. It must be at the correct angle so that she stays dry... and I get half soaked.
;)

I know I'm coming late to the party here-- but I live in SC, as one of the members already pointed out, we get LOTS of rain- and I'm on the coast, so even worse.....

that said-- you just nailed it- I have several Aussie bushhats in oiled and waxed leather, and several Drizabone overcoats, both 3/4 and full length. I get some looks until it rains, and then folks understand why- I'm completely bone dry {dry as a bone}.

That said, I'll weear the hat anytime I'm not on my motorbike, and the jacket's good for anything short of arctic conditions with application of fleece vest and such underneath. Great for windy days as a windbreak, as well.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I always wear my hats in the rain. Its the best way to break in a Akubra. However I don't think I will be taking my Custom hat form Art out in the rain anytime soon. Then again it will not rain again till the spring. But that is besides the point. If you are having water proofing issues just add a new layer of Scotch guard. Usually does the trick for me.
With the wind issue, my old Federation, with age, has shrunk half a size, so it sits fine on the back of my head (loose and relaxed) but I can tug it down to my ears and it will go nowhere. If anyone out there knows anything about a Southern Albertan Chinooks, it can withstand that.
So an ideal rainy/windy day hat for me would be an Akubra (any Akubra) one half size to small.
My two Canadian cents worth.
Johnny

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
What are the thoughts on "tin" cloth hats in the rain? The Filson tin cloth hats aren't cheap but do they do the job? I commute from Castro valley to San Francisco every day and I would love to carry one less thing with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran