Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats in the rain

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A soaked hat is just a hand blocking opportunity, right?
And a great vintage hat won't even need that. I am remembering
last year when I brought my incredibly thin rollable Borsalino
to NYC. It poured on that hat and that thing just sprang back
to form in the morning.

One of my vintage hats (forget which now) came with
a hat condom in the box. Never used it. Guess I should
sell it on eBay.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
feltfan said:
One of my vintage hats (forget which now) came with
a hat condom in the box. Never used it. Guess I should
sell it on eBay.

LOL, is that the technical term?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
So - I've done some searches and haven't found anything definitive - aside from hat condoms (which I hate), what are the best ways to add water resistance to a hat? They tend to vary a great deal in their water resistance.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I never carry an umbrella. i am too short and I don't like getting poked by others using them. A good hat is all I wear. If a hat can't take a bit of water it is not worth having.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Pilgrim said:
So - I've done some searches and haven't found anything definitive - aside from hat condoms (which I hate), what are the best ways to add water resistance to a hat? They tend to vary a great deal in their water resistance.

What about ReviveX Water Repellent.

"For GORE-TEX® and WINDSTOPPER® garments and all types of breathable laminates and synthetic fabrics. Works on jackets, bibs, rain gear, hats and more! REVIVEX® Water Repellent for Outerwear will totally restore and/or create DWR (Durable Water Repellency) to any outerwear that can be washed and tumble dried. "

never tried myself. any thoughts? maybe there is another water repellent solution.

I see another product called Hat saver stain & water repellent

Haversack

One Too Many
Vermifuge wrote: "What are the thoughts on "tin" cloth hats in the rain? The Filson tin cloth hats aren't cheap but do they do the job? I commute from Castro valley to San Francisco every day and I would love to carry one less thing with me."

I have the Filson Packer hat in both tin cloth and in their 28 oz. wool. Both are specifically for rainy weather. The variable is the temperature and the amount of "knocking about" The tin cloth version is generally for rough wear - camping, clearing brush, etc. It also makes a fine hat for the sun. The wool works especially well in freezing rain. You can get icicles forming off the brim. Since I pretty much do the reverse of your commute, I do not get to wear the wool Packer often. My actual preferred hat for a rainy commute is a Tyrolean hat made of loden wool. One the other hand, the tin cloth hat the Filson makes is pretty indestructable and can survive being rolled up in a coat pocket.

Haversack.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Prefer a hat, especially when carrying anything else. I spent 10 years active duty in Air Force and umbrellas were not allowed then. The flight caps were worthless in rain and the round dress cap with short bill was marginally better.

For rain get a wide brim. I have a few western Stetsons with brims of 4" which are wide enough to keep rain from going down the back of your neck, unless you are walking with a strong wind.

For the military, the old calvary with their large hats had the right idea!!

Jeff

kiltedjeeper

New in Town
you have hit on something there, Jeff- probably a similar reason to why I don't use umbrellas, and consider a hat useless if it won't rotect from rain...

I spent 6 years in the Army- Infantry, to be exact- and you can well imagine the amount of time I've spent in foul weather going nowhere in particular. :)

rick5150

One of the Regulars
I wear hats to protect me from the elements. Umbrellas are right up there with manicures for guys. Too prissy. I agree with Sharpetoys. A hat should not be babied.

rick54

New in Town
Mr. H commented:Didn't you see "Road to Perdition"?!
This is a movie I just viewed two days ago, and yes, the hats were in a down pour of rain! Recently, I just picked up a hat from Optimo Hat Co. in Chicago, and the rain issue was a specific question I asked Mr. Thompson. His reply was that his hats were made from beaver and nutria fur. If the hat was to get wet in a rain storm to just set it on its crown and let it dry naturally.
Wool felt was a different issue when wet!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
This still has to be my number one modern hat.

It has been rained on rolled up beat up scraped up and swimming (fell in water and soaked... It's tough and thin.

About three years old though it always bounces back into shape.

Optimo featherweight beaver nutria blend.

IMG_7773-vi.jpg

I plan on getting an Art Fawcett hat next time I get a modern and I hope it lasts as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy