Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats... More of a Man's Garment?

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
Obviously in today's society, not many young men wear hats; rather, ONLY the few males that wear hats are men. But what about in the past? Although one can see many hats being worn in old photos and even paintings (going as far back as the 18th Century, when the concept of a vested suit was in its infancy), these are worn by men rather than boys; they would be wearing a cap or some other crude form of one up until WWII, when the Ball Cap, in both wool and cotton variations would be worn by boys (though many Baby-Boomers have not really outgrown their desire to wear a Ball Cap).

This observation has prompted me to ask if hats were, and still are, a garment that is intended to be worn by men (after the college age to the end) rather than by boys and young men (from birth to college-aged)? What would the younger men be wearing?

-Quetzal

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
You are certainly right that many boys wore caps. Part of this may have been age-related (just as boys a century ago were more likely to wear knickers than long pants). But it also relates to activities. Caps were more practical for the rough and tumble play boys engage in. For specific activities, the proper hat would be used. Think of all the Boy Scouts in their campaign-style hats, for instance. I'm sure horseback riding or baseball would be just as likely to bring out the specified style of hat.

The style of headwear also made a statement about social class. Working class people were more likely to wear caps. The styles of brimmed hats associated with middle vs. upper classes changed over time. By the 1920s, only the wealthy wore top hats, which had been worn by all classes in the early 1800s.

I look forward to seeing what insights and ideas (and pictures) others may share.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I believe that in days gone by men pretty much wore their hats until they wore out as they were a expensive item. Since children outgrow their clothes rapidly, buying an expensive hat would be an inefficient idea. It has been speculated on this forum that the reason so many surviving vintage hats are small sizes is that those hats belonged to children, maybe early teens who quickly grew out of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy