Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats With Musical Instruments

Chose a Schwinn Sting Ray, purple, high handle bars, banana seat, Slick back tire. $50.00 which was pricey in 1967-68 somewhere in there. A great memory. We were lucky.

Thanks for sharing that Scott! I had a purple Stingray also!

Dang rich kids. :D My Dad build me a clone (red with ram's horn bars). I have a project purple Sting-Ray ('64) if you need to relive your youth.

This is the best I can do to put this thread back on track:

Hat_Music.jpg

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Dang rich kids. :D My Dad build me a clone (red with ram's horn bars). I have a project purple Sting-Ray ('64) if you need to relive your youth.

This is the best I can do to put this thread back on track:

View attachment 179607
Good one!! Yea rich kids, right. I think I'll pass on the bike, LOL. But would love to see photos when you get it done.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Charlie Derrington, luthier at Gibson, presents Bill Monroe's repaired 1923 Lloyd Loar F5. Vandals had broken in and smashed Bills mandolin in 1986. Charlie spent three months repairing it. Sometime in the fifties Bill sent the mandolin to Gibson for some repairs and refinish. He was so unhappy with the job they did, that he scraped of the finish with his pocket knife, and gouged out the Gibson name on the headstock. He played it like that for years. When it was repaired they restored the Gibson name to the headstock. I like the smiles on their faces, including Chet Atkins and Gibson employees.
692670b2eae61a0ad2aedca32e6950c7.jpg
47da4f1fd249bb52ef335a30a009a255.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Desert dog

My favorite hat, an early Resistol San Antonio. A couple of my mandolins, and a violin that belonged to my wife's mother. I tried fiddling about 35 years ago, and sounded like Cottontop Hatfield. I have since learned a few fiddle tunes on mandolin, maybe it will transfer over this time. I need the bow restrung, but it would make my wife happy to hear a few tunes on her mother's fiddle. Maybe I will surprise her.
0d1041a587a62d8ce2af953e6254c9e0.jpg
df084fbdff5bd30b02acdb63b9080351.jpg

My favorite hat, an early Resistol San Antonio. A couple of my mandolins, and a violin that belonged to my wife's mother. I tried fiddling about 35 years ago, and sounded like Cottontop Hatfield. I have since learned a few fiddle tunes on mandolin, maybe it will transfer over this time. I need the bow restrung, but it would make my wife happy to hear a few tunes on her mother's fiddle. Maybe I will surprise her.
0d1041a587a62d8ce2af953e6254c9e0.jpg
df084fbdff5bd30b02acdb63b9080351.jpg

I love the way you have the SA creased, DD. Great photo composition too!

Perfect DD! That hat and that fiddle look like old friends getting together again after many years apart.
View attachment 182009
I keep coming back to this pic because it reminds me of "Ashokan Farewell"; same era & all. The first time I ever heard it was on the Ken Burns Civil War series. My daughter & now a granddaughter play the violin. Thanks Rick, I saved the pic.

humanshoes

One Too Many
The Schoble bowler and this recently completed banjo ukulele, or banjolele, seem like a natural pair. The Schoble is likely from sometime in the early 1900's during a time period when the banjolele was first arriving (1917) on the music scene. I used an 8" tamborim hand drum for the body, a $1.00 thrift store wooden plate for the resonator, and birdseye maple and ebony wood for the neck. This funky little instrument was made for a modern young woman with a ragtime soul. You go girl!
Banjo Uke.JPG
Banjo Uke Back.JPG

Desert dog

The Schoble bowler and this recently completed banjo ukulele, or banjolele, seem like a natural pair. The Schoble is likely from sometime in the early 1900's during a time period when the banjolele was first arriving (1917) on the music scene. I used an 8" tamborim hand drum for the body, a $1.00 thrift store wooden plate for the resonator, and birdseye maple and ebony wood for the neck. This funky little instrument was made for a modern young woman with a ragtime soul. You go girl!
View attachment 182904 View attachment 182905
Nice bowler, and exceptional photo! The banjolele is beautiful! The birds eye neck is gorgeous! Repurposed plate is awesome. Some old time string band music will probably sound great on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto