Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have You Ever Met A Movie/TV Star or Celebrity?

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Wow, okay I forgot Jason Bateman.

I met him this summer in "Saudi Arabia."

999143731_l.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
My celebrity encounters:

I worked at a bookstore and met several celebrities. On my first day of work I sold some books (several Brother Cadfael novels) to Julia Child. She was extremely tall and I didn't recognize her until she started to speak and I looked at her charge card. She was very kind and laughed readily. Alan Derschowitz used to come into the store often and berate our manager that his books weren't more prominiently displayed. Christopher Lloyd was doing a play and came in one day. Very sweet, shy man. He gladly signed an autograph for one of the other clerks as Reverend Jim.

I sat behind Stephen Jay Gould in a movie theater.

I shook Princess Diana's hand when I visited London in 1991. Incredibly nice and she had the bluest eyes I've ever seen.

I went to a taping of The Colbert Report and saw Stephen Colbert. He looks a bit older in person but seemed very pleasant. Also, he has more energy than I've ever seen in a person. The taping was really tons of fun--if there are any fans here I'd heartily recommend going to one.

Here's one of the photos I took of Princess Diana.

diana.jpg

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
MrNewportCustom said:
I delivered a bookcase to Johnny Bench, once.
Delivered flooring to Louis Anderson.
Met Jay Leno twice, both times at car shows. He and my brother helped another guy get his car started.
Dom DeLouise at a cooking demonstration. Bought one of his autographed cookbooks. A very nice man.

Reason for update: Bad memory . . .

Meeting Jay Leno supposed to be three times (now five, twice last weekend)

Met Tim Russ (Tuvok), Robert Beltran (Chakotay) and Robert Picardo (Doctor) all of the Star Trek franchise (Voyager) while driving my car and being scenery in Roddenberry on Patrol A Parody (directed by Tim Russ).

Met Kinky Friedman at book signings, twice - the second time, he and I were both an hour early. We leaned against the hood of my car while he smoked a cigar and we talked.

Bill Handel, twice - (Number One morning drive radio talk show in L.A.) First time was at a gas station opening near my home, and the second time was at the same cooking demo where I met Dom DeLouise.

Maclovio Perez - A local TV weatherman I haven't seen in years.

Lee

MAGNAVERDE

New in Town
In the early 7Os, I was hustling my way through college, waiting tables in the only 3-star restaurant in Peoria, Illinois, the dining room of an elegant, old-style hotel downtown. I was still a rookie waiter, so they gave me the the worst section in the joint, a secluded, velvet-curtained purgatory where they stuck losers without jackets & ties, boozy conventioneers & local businessmen with women who were clearly not their wives. Also, new waiters on probation. Normally, my customers were a sorry lot, but I didn't mind because I soon discovered that they were usually better tippers than the preening small-town sophistos who dined in spotlit splendor in the center of the room.

One night I got a new couple in my station, a local car dealer I recognized from ads on late-night TV, accompanied by the most beautiful woman I had ever seen in my life. She must have been 3 times my age, but her brilliant white hair & perfect skin & her big smile--and, too, her red, red lipstick, at a time when other women were going for the Bland Look--rendered me instantly speechless. Of course, this was right about the time that that nonsense of waiters introducing themselves had finally reached Peoria, so it was probably just as well. Annoucing "Hi, I'm Magnaverde and I'll be your waiter tonight" sounded stupid in the first place, but stumbling over such a cheesy line out of selfconsciousness & infatuation would have been a lot worse. So after I seated them, I just gave them--well, her, really--an idiotic smile & then nodded, when, after a long & awkward pause, she finally inquired if I could get them a cocktail. I had totally forgotten what came next. I wanted to die right there, right then.

Anyway, it turned out that it was Gail Patrick--she was still using the name she had used as a producer on "Perry Mason" after she retired as an actress, Gail Patrick Jackson--with her brand new husband, Mr. V. The hostess had seated them in my station rather than in a more public area, because Peoria didn't get many celebrities in those days (not that they get any more today, I'm sure) and the two of them just wanted a normal, quiet dinner without any extra attention, which, with her striking looks, was probably hard for them to avoid, even if people didn't know--as I hadn't known--who she was.

I'm sure Mr. V was a very nice man--I remember nothing about him except his name, and the fact that the two of them became my regular customers whenever they were in town--but she was not only a radiant beauty, she was smart & elegant & gracious & funny, and during my stint in the Peoria Room, I came to think of them as friends. Unfortunately, this was long before videotapes, or cable TV made it possible to watch a film any time you wanted, and so it was only years after her untimely death--as I recall, from complications from a fall off a ladder while painting the kitchen cabinets--that I finally saw one of her movies. Now, of course, "My Man Godfrey" is one of my favorites.

Anyway, so now it's going on 3O years since the last time I last saw her, and although I've happened to meet a bunch of performers (& politicians) in that time, I don't ever remember meeting anyone who had as much glamour & warmth & charisma as she had in what must have been her sixties. Even onscreen, it didn't all come through. What a woman.

I've met quite a few and spoken to even more because of my interviews. One of my most memorable, however, was Lauren Bacall. I met her at her book signing in NYC last year. For some odd reason, she wasn't taking photos with people. But, I did grab this shot her of her signing my book and there's also a shot of the signature itself....

DSC02752.JPG

DSC02753.JPG

Doh!

One Too Many
Does Noel Neill count?

MeandLoisLane2007.jpg

This month in Metropolis... Illinois. At their annual Superman Festival. Nice lady, and if I were an elderly gent, I'd court her like there's no tomorrow!

(Interesting tidbit: instead of the usual Indiana Jones comment, someone told me, "Nice Clark Kent hat.")

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
How many danish moviestars or celebrities do you know out there?
OK - I once rubbed elbows with Her Royal Majesty the Queen of Denmark at a sale in a bookshop. We were after the same book.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
MAGNAVERDE said:
Anyway, it turned out that it was Gail Patrick--she was still using the name she had used as a producer on "Perry Mason" after she retired as an actress, Gail Patrick Jackson--with her brand new husband, Mr. V. The hostess had seated them in my station rather than in a more public area, because Peoria didn't get many celebrities in those days (not that they get any more today, I'm sure) and the two of them just wanted a normal, quiet dinner without any extra attention, which, with her striking looks, was probably hard for them to avoid, even if people didn't know--as I hadn't known--who she was.

I'm sure Mr. V was a very nice man--I remember nothing about him except his name, and the fact that the two of them became my regular customers whenever they were in town--but she was not only a radiant beauty, she was smart & elegant & gracious & funny, and during my stint in the Peoria Room, I came to think of them as friends. Unfortunately, this was long before videotapes, or cable TV made it possible to watch a film any time you wanted, and so it was only years after her untimely death--as I recall, from complications from a fall off a ladder while painting the kitchen cabinets--that I finally saw one of her movies. Now, of course, "My Man Godfrey" is one of my favorites.

Anyway, so now it's going on 3O years since the last time I last saw her, and although I've happened to meet a bunch of performers (& politicians) in that time, I don't ever remember meeting anyone who had as much glamour & warmth & charisma as she had in what must have been her sixties. Even onscreen, it didn't all come through. What a woman.

I envy you! Gail Patrick is probably my favorite character actor of the golden era! Welcome to the Lounge.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In 1976, Ronald Reagan came to my hometown to campaign for the Republican presidential nomination. With him was Jimmy Stewart. I went to the courthouse to see him, but will have to admit it was primarily to see Jimmy Stewart. After the speech, I had an opportunity to shake hands with Mr. Stewart. Mr. Stewart was exceptionally pleasant, and spoke to me as if I were the only one there. I remember Mr. Reagan as being somewhat distant and not easily approachable. If I would have known Mr. Reagan would eventually become President, I would have made more of an effort to try to shake hands with him. [huh]

Several years ago I was involved with some special training with the Department of Justice in Anniston, Alabama. After the day's classes were over, I was sitting at the bar in one of the old BOQ's when Attorney General John Ashcroft came in and sat down beside me. He was there to review one of the first series of "COBRA" Incident Command training. We talked for a while and had a couple drinks. He was a very interesting man to talk with.

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
A number of years ago my brother in law would give me his Nets tickets so I could take my son, his godson, to see Michael Jordan play basketball. His seats were in row 8 next to the owners seats. Two minutes before game time eveyone in the place is staring at us, really weird, until I see that Donald Trump and Marla Maples are taking the seats directly in front of us. She was absolutely stunning, a beauty much better in person than what I had seen on tv. I didn't speak to them but when a beach ball was bouncing around the stands my son hit it and it just missed Donald Trumps head ! I'm sure we would have spoken if it hit him.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
I've been quite fortunate to meet a lot of super swell celebs...

19293571_0ab036535b.jpg

Harry Shearer (the voice of Burns, Smithers, Lovejoy, et cetera) and Monty Python's Michael Palin.

317300863_965bd592cf.jpg

Carrie-Anne Moss - this was taken right after she grabbed my head and kissed me for drawing her. That's right, I'm braggin'. Though, where's a hat when you desperately need one?!

1047433.jpg

I've known John "Northern Exposure" Cullum for years. Cullum has a rumpled old fedora in his hand there.

I've also met Jan Rubes (and talked with him at length about his role as McGillis' father in "Witness" and about Harrison Ford). I've also met comedian Greg Froops (sp?), Robin Duke, Kevin Nealon, producer/director Richard B. Lewis (who took me running through the woods and essentially beat me up so I'd understand how to storyboard his fight scene), Jane Goodall, environmentalist and TV icon David Suzuki, cult film director John Paizs (who I became friend with), director Charles "Anne of a Thousand Days" Jarrott, Michael "Twin Peaks" Horse, Kenneth "Twin Peaks" Welsh, Kate Nelligan, some of you Canadians may recognize Tina Keeper, Dakota House, Gordon Tootoosis, Tom Jackson, but no one else will. Michelle "Dances with Wolves" Thrush was my across-the-alley neighbour for years and I'd worked with her a lot in television. I never met Grahame Greene, but my art was used as his on screen. My university drama teacher was the second guy to get killed in Pacino's "Sea of Love". I met that kid responsible for the "Johnny Bravo" cartoons (but I forget his name). I'm probably forgetting a lot. OH! And publishing magnate MK!

I've spotted a lot more celebs than I've actually met.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I've met several film and TV stars and even more music stars.

One in partcular I've even tattooed . . .

The Enigma - the blue jigsaw puzzle covered actor, musician, professional side-show entertainer (guest starred on the X-files, Pen & Teller, Ripley's Beleive it or Not) and tattoo icon.

-MC

514995935_l.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
The first celebrity I met was Robert Wagner in 1957 when I was a star-struck 14-year-old. I stood in a line at the Paramount theatre in Des Moines, got an autographed photo from him. He was handsome, glittery glamorous and I was smitten.

When I lived in NYC, I met a number of fairly famous authors, worked at Dell Publishing and later had a part-time job in a bookshop in Greenwich Village. So, have spoken to Kurt Vonnegut, who was very sweet and, I think, somewhat shy; Laura Z. Hobson; Christopher Isherwood (was surprised by his looks, dressed and looked like a gentleman farmer), Rita Mae Brown, who I knew in NY in the feminist movement, Janis Ian, who came into the bookstore and I helped her get some books; May Sarton; and had a good conversation with Tennesse Williams, who told us intriguing stories of the actresses he'd known, agreed with me that he disliked the movie version of The Glass Menagerie, and told us he had the same life philosophy as one of his famous characters, "I have always believed in the kindness of strangers." A fascinating man, and a lot shorter than I thought he'd be ... I'd imagined him to be a 6-footer, but he was quite short. He told us some of his close friends called him "Blanche."

In 1977, had to help Pattie Smith get onto a stage in Central Park, she was really stoned-out and could barely walk, was staggering up the steps to the stage. Lou Reed accompanied her and we talked, as we both helped to the stage. He seemed protective of her. She got onstage and -- I couldn't believe it -- belted out the song Gloria and didn't miss a beat! I would have bet money she'd fall on her face at any minute!

Probably more people, but can't recall any at this time.

karol

Doh!

One Too Many
K.D. Lightner said:
She got onstage and -- I couldn't believe it -- belted out the song Gloria and didn't miss a beat! I would have bet money she'd fall on her face at any minute!

karol

I'm the same way about karaoke -- I won't sing sober.

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
I think you're right about the gentleman on the left being Tom Baker. I'm guessing that the gentleman on the right is none other than Brig. Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart (known in real life as Nicholas Courtney).

Ellie

Familiar Face
Back in the day when I worked at Starbuck's, I served Geena Davis. I've also served Tony Hawk at the 'bucks.

Alec Baldwin also came into my Starbuck's, but not when I was working.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Star struck

When I worked in the airlines I met a few stars. I remember Gerard Depardieu
on a flight to Tokyo - wow could that guy eat! He gulped down anything we gave him. I notice now he has lost some weight though he owns a vineyard and is a great gourmand.

Another time a guy was sitting quietly in business clas. It was a quiet sector and I started to chat to him. I asked him what he did for a living in the USA. He said he was an actor. I asked him what his name was. He said Anthony La Paglia. I said " Sorry I haven't heard of you" which is not the best thing to usually say to an actor but then that was back in the late 80s... since then he had become one of the biggest stars in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy