Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have You Ever Met A Movie/TV Star or Celebrity?

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Red Skelton
Sharon Stone
Gene Hackman
William Peterson
Kevin Costner (waved hi to him every morning for 3 months)
Mark Wahlberg
Alyssa Milano
Hulk Hogan
Shaun Cassidy (had an interview for a job with him)
Ken Adam (production designer of most of the early Bond films)
Vilmos Zsigmond (director of photography of Close Encounters of the Third Kind)

Doug

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
l_4018b627abf007b8973ccd1773138948.jpg

lol

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I've met quite a few WWII notables - Dora Dougherty (one of two WASP trained to fly the B-29), Dick Cole (Doolittle's copilot on the raid), Jack Lucas (youngest Marine MOH recipient), and several others. I did get to see Oliver North a couple of years ago at an event, but didn't get a chance to actually meet him.

I've met the Chieftains (band). My stepbrother is a Nashville fiddler, fairly well-known, and when he was touring with Mark Wills, I got to meet him and the band. I must say that Mark is not the nicest person I've ever met. I've met a few local notables and some sports figures, too.

My husband used to be friends with the band Tripping Daisy, and they used to hang out at his apartment, but that was before I met him. My dad used to meet quite a few celebrities through his job, and had a somewhat embarassing encounter (fueled by alcohol) with Tiny Tim in a bar. lol

Miss_Bella_Hell

I used to live in LA, so...any celebrities I spotted (many) I just left alone. But my old roommate used to date one of the guys from Supertroopers, and he would come over all the time.

flat-top

Well, I didn't meet him, but I was about 2 feet from David Lynch last night, at an amazing place here in NY called The Box. There was a great (I guess somewhat Lynch-ian) Vaudeville/ variety show called The Cracked Society Revue going on. And there was David Lynch, looking EXACTLY like himself. I smashed against his table for about an hour. I was as interested to see his reactions as I was about what was actually happening onstage.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
fortworthgal said:
My dad used to meet quite a few celebrities through his job, and had a somewhat embarassing encounter (fueled by alcohol) with Tiny Tim in a bar. lol

I'd be interested to hear more of that story!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
imoldfashioned said:
I'd be interested to hear more of that story!

Well, apparently my dad had gone out with some of his coworkers for an after-work drink. They somehow decided on a bar where Tiny Tim was playing a gig (this was the 70s). Everyone was pretty sloshed, and my dad was on his way to the restroom. On his way there he ran smack into Tim, looked at him, turned around to keep going, and, in his drunken state, made a comment (which I dare not repeat here) to one of his coworkers about Tim's appearance. At which point the coworker stops him and says, "Do you know WHO that is?" and proceeded to explain. My dad went over and apologized, and said that Tim was extremely nice about the whole thing, and actually said it happened all the time (poor guy!).

He ended up hanging out with my dad and his coworkers for the rest of the night. lol

rikrdo

A-List Customer

I'm working as a train attendant for Amtrak, in charge of an old Santa Fe car on the Coast Starlight heading up to Seattle.
The attendant's quarters were downstairs in these old cars as were the restrooms, so it was convienient for cleaning and overall maintainance.
It also was a very busy area as there was a vestibule on the lower level that allowed smokers an out of the way place to grab a fix.
One morning, as I awoke and was in need of a "fix", I stumbled into the vestibule and fired up a ciggie.....there was a large man there, smoking and watching the scenery as we crawled up the coast.
As was customary for my position of public service, I started a quick chat with a friendly, "Good Morning".
The man replied back and I immediately recognized him as one of celebrity status.
I took another glance and a pause, then finally mustered up a feeble
"ummmm. You're Tom ........Brokaw. Right"?

"Nope", he replied
"Tom Snyder, but don't worry about it. Happens all the time".
I crawled back into my room and locked the door.

freebird

Practically Family
I've met a few local celebrities. Probably the most widely known were Charlie Daniels,; Eldon Shamblin, Bob Boatright and Leon McAuliffe of Bob Will's and hisTexas Playboys, Johnnie Lee Wills (Bob's brother) and also Cotton Cordell the fishing lure tycoon. I did spend about 30 minutes hanging out at a after show party with Hank Thompson.

My Sister was living in Arkansas and was looking at some dvd's, don't recall the name of the one she was holding but it co-starred Jerry Van Dyke (from Coach). She wasn't paying attention to the crowd, and someone walked up to her and mentioned the movie......it was Jerry himself, apparently he lived in the area.

My Brother on the other hand had college classes with Steve Gaines from Lynyrd Skynrd.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
fortworthgal said:
Well, apparently my dad had gone out with some of his coworkers for an after-work drink. They somehow decided on a bar where Tiny Tim was playing a gig (this was the 70s). Everyone was pretty sloshed, and my dad was on his way to the restroom. On his way there he ran smack into Tim, looked at him, turned around to keep going, and, in his drunken state, made a comment (which I dare not repeat here) to one of his coworkers about Tim's appearance. At which point the coworker stops him and says, "Do you know WHO that is?" and proceeded to explain. My dad went over and apologized, and said that Tim was extremely nice about the whole thing, and actually said it happened all the time (poor guy!).

He ended up hanging out with my dad and his coworkers for the rest of the night. lol

Great story fortworthgal, I love happy endings!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
my dad played "21" with Sonny Bono in Reno in '72...and my mom saw Fats Domino playing slots somewhere...i met Candy Clark and Bo Hopkins at a car show...various baseball players...nothin' huge...but i would give anything to meet Steve McQueen...no kiddin'...my neighbor across the street raced with him at some motocross event in the 70's here in Oregon...ugh...anybody ever met him? or seen him? lol

Cracker

One of the Regulars
I am always the one missing out on celebrity encounters. My best friend got a $100 tip while waiting on ZZ Top in the Las Colinas (TX) Bennigans. My cousin saw Jack Nicholson in a Vail McDonalds in the late 70s/early 80s. My neighbor's stepfather went on an Amazon fishing trip with Hank Williams, Jr. But I never met anybody.

That is, until a few months ago. And even then, I didn't really "meet" him. But just being in his presence was cool enough.

I was getting my hair cut in a barbershop on 11th Street in the Heights in Houston (where they filmed "Rushmore"), and this old man walked in, wearing a seersucker suit with no tie. He had pretty long, almost Einsteinish hair. I had to do a double take to realize it was Hal Holbrook, one of my all time favorite actors. He was in town while his wife Dixie Carter was playing at the Alley Theater, and said someone'd recommended this barbershop. I tried not to stare, and didn't want to whip him by asking any questions, but the dufus cutting my hair took about 10 minutes to realize who was in the chair next to me.

"Wasn't he in The Firm?"

Me: "You moron. You don't insult Mark Twain like that. Besides, I saw him just last night in 'Midway.' Best movie ever."

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
While vacationing in the greek island of Samos once, i met Melina Mercuri, she was sitting there signing autographs. She remainded me of Gloria Swanson in 'Sunset Boulevard'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy