Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Having trouble with creasing my FED IV

chum

Familiar Face
I can get the teardrop perfect but I prefer the center dent look. When I try the center dent it always becomes a diamond. Also with attempted center dents the top of the crown (dented in part) touches the top of my head. Maybe it is just the taper of this hat that is causing me problems...just do not know if it is the hat, or I am doing something wrong, as this is my first open crown...

chum

Familiar Face
Thanks...I tried that...still "no luck" as soon as apply the side dents my center dent becomes a diamond! I need pics of anyone who has a center dent on a Fed IV if possible...I read somewhere here about someone using a "wooden dowel" to achieve a perfect center dent...was not on a Fed IV though...

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

Carbon grey Fed IV, center dent. I didn't quite karate chop it, but just pushed down the center and it worked for me. The creases are a little bit more accentuated since taking this photo, this was taken before it got rained on and softened up.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Felt is an organic product, and felt hats all "behave" in unique ways. So, pretend that sucker is alive, and train it.

Basically, what you want to do is boil some clean water. Then, hold the hat about 6 to 8 inches from the surface, letting the steam roll over the top of the hat for about 30 seconds or so. Then use one hand on the outside to hold the dent in, and one on the inside to hold the rest of the crown out. Hold for a minute. Repeat as needed until the hat gets the picture.

As for the dent hitting your head, some people have higher noggins than others. Don't make the dent so deep. If you're already using a shallow dent, then it might not be the right bash for that hat on your head. It happens.

Personally, I like to find what bash a individual hat "wants" and go with it. Maybe it wants to be a diamond. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24