Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

mdove

Familiar Face
I used to wear either a blue or white button down collar oxford cloth shirt. My daughters said I needed some color in my wardrobe and got me an aloha shirt for fathers day many years ago. I have not worn an oxford cloth shirt since. I have countless Aloha shirts and wear them all the time. I was wondering about wearing a fedora with them, but from what I have seen my concerns are unfounded.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Mdove,

Yeah, they really do seem to be made for each other, to me.
I feel like they both speak to the era of better styling, when the shirts were bright and the brims were wide!

Sam

Lando

Practically Family
7013092139_436f78ac0d_b.jpg

Getting warm again round here. Packing all the leather away and getting all the Hawaiian shirts out for the season.

mdove

Familiar Face
It is never too early for an aloha shirt. The bright colors bring a smile to everyone's face and brightens their day just a bit. I have nothing but aloha shirts and wear them year around, under my Burberry, under my bomber, and sometimes even wore one under my uniform, just for s--ts and grins.

Last edited:

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great look lando! I think it's easier for you bigger guys to pull off the look.
If I weren't such a skinny tooth pick I might try wearing a Hawaiian shirt, but I don't so instead I go there as often as I can!

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
Agreed... matter of fact, I personally think that us bigger guys sometimes look like we're wearing mumus when wearing Hawaiians. Just relax and enjoy the outfit!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Here's the brand-spanking-new crushable Borso I bought from the FL classifieds. The cheesy metal tag was only clamped lightly around the leather band with two wires: no harm no foul upon removal. The fabric sweatband is surprisingly comfortable. Overall, though, I can't see how they justify the original price of $250. The felt seems okay, but is floppy and unresponsive to shaping attempts, although I haven't tried steam yet. Maybe that's why it's a "rollable" travel hat. [huh] I did roll it up to check out its shape memory, and that part works great.

DSCF2168.jpg

The shirt I scored at Goodwill for 4 bucks, expressly for this thread. Nice feeling rayon number. :D

I have one of these also... though I paid $150 from hats.com. It still turned out to be a very costly hat. After buying this one and a modern Borsalino Como from the same store, I began the long walk down the garden path in search of hat nirvana.

The hat is made from dementia felt. It has no memory whatsover. Steam doesn't help.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Here's the brand-spanking-new crushable Borso I bought from the FL classifieds. The cheesy metal tag was only clamped lightly around the leather band with two wires: no harm no foul upon removal. The fabric sweatband is surprisingly comfortable. Overall, though, I can't see how they justify the original price of $250. The felt seems okay, but is floppy and unresponsive to shaping attempts, although I haven't tried steam yet. Maybe that's why it's a "rollable" travel hat. [huh] I did roll it up to check out its shape memory, and that part works great.

DSCF2168.jpg

The shirt I scored at Goodwill for 4 bucks, expressly for this thread. Nice feeling rayon number. :D

Lookin' Sharp, Randall! I really love Hawaiian shirt/felt fedora combo's. Now you just need that prop cigar you had.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
The hat is made from dementia felt. It has no memory whatsover. Steam doesn't help.

I'm sorry, what hat are you talking about?

Oh, wait, I remember! No, ummm. . .

. . . floppy something or other . . . felt.

Yes! That's it!! Steam engines!!

(You're spot on. Didn't do squat.)

Zetwal, those double negatives always throw me, but I intuitively feel I should say "thanks!"

Lando

Practically Family
6920544390_5a514b17d1_b.jpg

Natural All Beaver Beaverbrand Fedora with a trimmed Pencil Roll. One of the lightest felt hats I own and perfectly suited for summer or island wear.

I don't know if there's any kind of body type for Hawaiian shirts. I get the sense it's more about an attitude. You wear it, you own it, and you don't let anyone tell you it's wrong. Kind of my general rule of thumb with my attire. If I like it, it's what I like and there I go.

Lando

Practically Family
Captiva Island, FL, USA. Staying in country till the little one is a little older for travel.

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
Ah, for the fine weather of the Southern coast. Minnesota's hottest March ever has been followed up by its most average April, and all my new clothes and dreams are out of place...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff