Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello and thick hair despair

agirlinwinter

New in Town
Hello everyone, this is my first post :)

I had my bra strap length, one layer hair cut two weeks ago to shoulder length with long layers. In its natural state, my hair is poker straight, thick and there is masses of it! I am trying to get it to hold a curl, but I'm really struggling. I'm going for a 40s look (and failing miserably at the moment).

If any of you ladies with thick hair could share your curling techniques, I would be very grateful.

Thank you :)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Hi Ya! I have super thick hair that is shoulder length as well, though mine is naturally curly. I have said it from the beginning that a cold set using cheap plastic perm rods is the way to go to achieve a desired curl. I recently figured out pin curls and use them to create shape and waves in the front, but for the loose down hair, I just use perm rods and some setting lotion. If you have a strong head and can stand sleeping in them -- the better! Otherwise a cold set under the bonnet dryer with the last 15 mins on the cold setting will do wonders as well. Here is my hair after perm rods and pin curls on just the top.
DSC_0253b-lo_zps10aa5a60.jpg

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Hi there. I have very thick, straight hair that is pretty much all one length (1" above waist) with a few light layers just around my face. The only way my hair will hold any curl is to use a curling iron. I follow the curling patterns that many of the ladies here have shared on various threads. I curl with the iron and then pincurl the strand while its still warm. I leave the pincurls in for a min. of 1/2 hr. I use Bumble & Bumble styling creme before blow drying and hardly ever use hairspray. I think the hairspray adds weight or ?? but it seems to make my curl fall faster. I also have found that too much brushing after curling also pulls out the curl. Just keep trying techniques and you'll find the one that works for you.

agirlinwinter

New in Town
Thank you very much for your answers LolitaHaze and scarlett.

I don't know if I could sleep in perm rods, as I can just about cope with sponge rollers overnight!

I've never used a curling iron - I'm guessing that regular use might damage the hair? Apologies for the stupid questions, before I got my hair cut, I never even bothered with a hairdryer - I used to wash/condition my hair and that was all.

I did an overnight set with 1" sponge rollers last night, spritzing dry hair with Lottabody diluted 50/50. It feels soft this morning and the curls have held well at the front, but the back is still wet! Stupid hair.

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Yes, regular heat use will cause damage. Make sure to use a heat protector if you go that route. I only curl my hair for nights out and not on a regular basis. My hair never dries and curl doesn't stay when I try the non heat method. If the front worked out for you, maybe try letting the back get a little drier before you put the rollers in, and or try rolling it in smaller sections so it can dry completely.

agirlinwinter

New in Town
Thank you :) I wondered about giving the back a gentle blast with a hairdryer or perhaps investing in a bonnet dryer. It's all trial and error, I guess.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I think that a bonnet dryer is a wise investment no matter what kind of set you use. Keep in mind a bonnet dryer is different than a hood dryer. The bonnet dryer is a great way to set your curls no matter what technique you use. From your sponge rollers to Scarlett's hot set curling iron and pincurl to my cold set with perm rods the theory is the same. Use the heat to mold the curl and blast on cold to "freeze" the curl. I like the bonnet myself because of the cold/wet sets I do it allows me to hurry along the drying process. Now my hair is bleached and super porous so the curling iron sets just fall out of my hair and using sponge roller make my curls too tight and kinky because of the compression of the sponge created from the first few wraps of hair. The perm rods give my hair a solid base to form onto without getting too tight. This is why Scarlett's curling iron works for her. Its a solid base.

Also, you may consider playing with the dilution of your setting lotion. A 50/50 may be too heavy on your hair and will just pull the curl out when you brush versus giving it structure an hold. More isn't always better. I use very little setting lotion in my mix. Plain water worked just as well for me when I was living in a dryer climate.

Another thing you may want to take into consideration is how long you keep your sets in. I have observed that those with normal to thinner hair can set and style in less than 30 mins and call it good. However those with thicker hair aren't usually so lucky. I am known to have my hair set for a day or 2. The benefit for me with the longer sets (24+ hrs) is that I can get a weeks worth (5-7 days) out of that one set. Overnight sets give me about 3-5 days. So while it is an inconvenience for that day, it keeps me from having to do anything but brush and pin for a week. Now I can't lie, it is never an inconvenience, because I have no shame and will go out in public with curlers and a scarf over my head. Now-a-days people find it more charming than tacky!

Good luck and keep practicing. Give yourself plenty of set time and also learn how to do a proper brush out.

agirlinwinter

New in Town
Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to write such an informative post! I will experiment with weaker dilutions of setting lotion. Unfortunately I can't go to work with my hair in curlers (much as I'd like to) but perhaps I can experiment with sets over the weekend.

itsalovelyday

New in Town
A bit off topic, but if you don't mind me asking LolitaHaze, what way do you roll your bangs to style them like that, and approximately how long are your bangs?
I saw a photo of Ava Gardner with very similar bangs and have been trying to replicate them for a few weeks now to no avail.
I'd appreciate any insight immensely!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
itsalovelyday... I believe I did pin curls in that style. I honestly can't remember the "setting pattern" I did, but what I think I would have done is pin curl two (or three) rows of pin curls at the crown. I would have then brushed back, with a slight pull in the opposite direction of the way I rolled the pin curls. So if I rolled them all facing the left, I would brush back to the right and let the brush flick at the end so that the ends curl up instead of under. I would have then used my hand to shape and pin them into position. I am sorry I can't better explain. I honestly don't remember and I never do sets. I kind of make it up as I go each time.

Oh and lastly, my bangs are to my chin.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Her is one of my favorite youtube channels ILoveGerardo for thick corse hair http://www.youtube.com/user/ilovegerardo?hl=en&gl=US&client=mv-google&nomobile=1. Some of the videos she adds are also vintage hairstyles. In her videos she styles her hair with hot rollers or a curling iron. I remember a while back reading on a video she posted on how she keeps her hair so healthy. The one thing she said she does to keep her hair healthy is not to wash her hair every day. Not every one knows that this is the true secret to healthy manageable hair. Plus it is tons easier to curl and style hair that is not washed every day, it holds vintage hair styles and curls better.

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
I have thick curly hair, it's about shoulder length now.

The only way I can get a curl set to stay, is by blow drying straight(ish), then dampening and setting on either velcro rollers or perm rods (if I'm doing just the ends). If I wet set, it just NEVER dries. I don't even need any product, just water - but this is probably because of my natural curl.

Heat set curls don't stay, unless I tong then wrap the hot hair round velcro rollers and leave them to cool. I don't really like using tongs though, my hair is dry and gets damaged easily.

rene_writer

Familiar Face
I have another question regarding thick hair, but I didn't want to start a new thread, so here it goes:

I really want a set of side combs that will hold up either side of my hair if it is parted down the middle and right behind the ears. However, I've tried all of the ones available in drugstores and my hair is actually so thick and so curly that they will not even slide in! I even got stubborn once and kept pushing and broke out all of the tines. So my question is whether anyone has ever found any wide tooth (hopefully somewhat inexpensive) side combs? I have been scouring the internet in vain.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
To tame thick hair you need a defrizzer for hair (there are millions in the market, like John Frieda for example) a round brush and a powerful hair dryer.

If you want some curl after you are done with that, you can set hair in rolls, and leave it for 1 hour or so.

After it is set, comb gently and voila! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB