Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for picking fountain pens

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
The crescent filling system involved what looked like a coin coming out of the side of the pen. You'd fill the pen simply by pressing down on the "coin" and bringing it back up again. The coin would push against the ink bladder, much like you would fill an eye dropper. The sliding ring around the pen threaded through the coin and prevented the coin from being accidentally pressed and squirting ink everywhere when using the pen. However, there was a notch in this ring, so to fill the pen, you'd turn the ring until the notch opening could allow the coin to be pressed into the pen body. After filling, you'd turn the ring again so it threaded back under the coin.

When Sheaffer created the lever filler mechanism, it made the crescent system obsolete, since the lever filler was simpler, less bulky, and just as effective.

Story has it that Twain favored the Conlkin Crescent Filler because the mechanism kept the pen from rolling off his writing desk.

moustache

Practically Family
Conklin

Daisy Buchanan said:
Have fun with your new pen. I just love my Pelikan. So much in fact, I've been buying them left and right anywhere I can get my hands on one on sale. I have a 200 and a 600 at the moment, both in fine nib, and they are really wonderful to write with. I'm surprised you went with an extra fine. IMO Pelikan fine nibs are quite fine already. But, it's all personal preference. I like a fine line, Pelikan fine nib is my favorite of the fine's out of all the pens I have. Aurora makes a very nice fine nib as well.

Went to Levenger today, probably not the best idea. But they were just about out of their big sale items. I did end up buying a Conklin Mark Twain edition with a fine nib in light blue. It looks like it has a marbling affect to it. Once again I have found a fine nib pen that is nice and smooth, doesn't skip and doesn't scratch. Quite happy with the way it writes, even happier with the fact that I got it for 1/3rd of the original price! I really don't know much about the Conklin company, other than what I found online. Does anyone here own one? If so, what do you think of it? So far, I'm liking it.

I have two Conklins and adore them.here they are:Forgive the first shot.Not good at all!!

post-34-1135626180.jpg

Conklin-Glider.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
moustache said:
I have two Conklins and adore them.here they are:Forgive the first shot.Not good at all!!

post-34-1135626180.jpg

Conklin-Glider.jpg
Thank you for sharing Moustache, those are beautiful pens, both of them. I'm surprisingly happy with the Conklin. I find myself reaching for it a lot. It is a broader nib than most of my other pens, but it makes my writing look more sophisticated. I've really seen a change in my cursive since I bought this pen.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
He called it "the Profanity Saver" !!!

I bet! Nothing worse than watching your pen roll off the table and onto the floor, unless you spill a bottle of ink accross what you've been working on. I've done both.:rolleyes:

Those are some nice Conklins, guys. When I get my vintage Conklin that's in process, I'll share a pic. I think at this point in my small but beloved collection, I want at least one good vintage pen from all the major pen makers.

One of each, please.

binkmeisterRick said:
I want at least one good vintage pen from all the major pen makers.
===========
That's how it starts! One of each!
One from each maker,
one from each series,
one of each color,
and one of each nib style.

Golf or Fly fishin has got nothing on us!:eusa_doh:

PenMan

Familiar Face
Great stuff here.

Just a thought for the fine nib users. If you ever get a chance to spend some time with other nibs, you might really like it. A few years ago I got a rather weathered old Waterman. The nib didn't seem right, but I persisted with it for a few minutes and found that if I angled it just right the words began to flow in a way they never had before. It had become a sort of slightly broader Italic nib. It is a worthless pen, but it completely changed my perspective on a number of things. After that experience I got a couple irregular nibs, one a snub Sheaffer Balance, and one an italic Pelikan M600. The writing experience is totally different. I now never reach for a fine nib unless it is an old Vacumatic or Parker 51--something with a bit of character built in.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
You make a good point, PenMan (pardon the pun;) ). I like that different pens and nibs have differet characteristics. Variety is the spice of life, eh? But I've found over the years that I persoally prefer fine nibs. I write small and even used to write with one of the finest lines availabe in a technical pen some years back. I've found that broader nibs make my handwriting blob together unless I write larger than I like to.

That said, I do own some medium nibs, but the medium nibs I like allow me to get a clean line when I want. And especially as a lefty, a thicker line takes longer to dry -- not always great when you write into the ink, as it were.;) If If I were one who wrote righty (I loved just typing that phrase;) ) I'd be able to use a much wider array of nibs. Unfortunately, all you right handers insist on writing in the wrong direction.:p

Daisy Buchanan

PenMan said:
Great stuff here.

Just a thought for the fine nib users. If you ever get a chance to spend some time with other nibs, you might really like it. A few years ago I got a rather weathered old Waterman. The nib didn't seem right, but I persisted with it for a few minutes and found that if I angled it just right the words began to flow in a way they never had before. It had become a sort of slightly broader Italic nib. It is a worthless pen, but it completely changed my perspective on a number of things. After that experience I got a couple irregular nibs, one a snub Sheaffer Balance, and one an italic Pelikan M600. The writing experience is totally different. I now never reach for a fine nib unless it is an old Vacumatic or Parker 51--something with a bit of character built in.
When I first started using a fountain pen I used a fine nib. I have various styles of writing ranging in size. When I use the fine nib, I can write really small, which is good for journal writing. However, I'm really learning how to write with a broader nib. The Conklin that I got is a fine nib, but it writes quite broad, and I love the lines I'm getting from it. My writing is actually starting to look more elegant. I also love my Aurora medium nib. However, it writes quite fine. I'm on a quest to find that perfect balance. Sometimes a fine nib just doesn't have the character in it's lines that a broader nib does. I like an up stroke that goes from thin to thick, or vice versa depending on what is being written. I love my Pelikan, it gives me very neat handwriting, but it is very fine, so I can't get a lot of different styles out of it like I can the Conklin.
So, you're right. Trying different sized nibs is a good idea. But, nib choice really does depend on the style of writer you are. I do like trying different nibs, and when purchasing a new pen, I try all the options. Through all the different options I'm learning that I have quite a few different writing styles that I never even knew I could do.

In museums I've seen displays of hand written letters from people centuries ago. The handwriting in the majority of them is so beautiful, elegant. I've been trying to emulate this style of writing to no avail. But, I'll keep working on it. I do think that it really has to do with the pen. It's just that the strokes are quite fine yet they do have those thick to thin up strokes that I really like, particularly in the first letter of a word.

I'm Flexible - flex nibs.

Daisy Buchanan said:
Trying different sized nibs is a good idea. But, nib choice really does depend on the style of writer you are. I do like trying different nibs, and when purchasing a new pen, I try all the options. Through all the different options I'm learning that I have quite a few different writing styles that I never even knew I could do.

In museums I've seen displays of hand written letters from people centuries ago. The handwriting in the majority of them is so beautiful, elegant. I've been trying to emulate this style of writing to no avail. But, I'll keep working on it. I do think that it really has to do with the pen. It's just that the strokes are quite fine yet they do have those thick to thin up strokes that I really like, particularly in the first letter of a word.
Hi Daisy!

The thin / thick writing style can be acheived with different nibs such as Italic, Stub, Oblique and music nibs. Try a search on Ebay for a Platinum Music nib fountain pen. BUT the real way they got that thin / thick lines in ordinary daily writing was by using a flexible nib, again light pressure on down strokes move the nib tines apart creating a thin to thick change. People wrote using "whole are movement" not from the wrist only which gave the sweeping motions for a fluid writing line. The main scripts used were Spencerian and a version called Copperplate. Under the book section at John Neal are caligraphy, copperplate and spencerian along with other styles. They als carry dip pens with flex nibs. (Just remember no india or drawing inks in the fountain pen, fountain pen ink only. Dip pens are versitile and can use inks that would kill a fountain pen.) Also note some of the art paper makes for great writing paper with fountain pens.

http://www.johnnealbooks.com/

In Vintage Waterman and wahl seemed to have the most flex nibs. today some of the high end pens are said to have flex, but only the Namiki Falcon can compare to the flex of the past.

Sincerely,

Naphtali

Practically Family
A "lookin' sharp" pen, or a using pen???:

Okay. About a year ago, I went through what you're going through. But from the get-go I was interested only in a using fountain pen. And I am left-handed, which amplified potential problems.
Celluloid, the body of many fountain pens, has a useful life in the neighborhood of 75 years before it begins to deteriorate irreversibly.

Acrylic's life is similar -- ultraviolet light deteriorates Acrylic rapidly, though. In the 1970s and 1980s there were horror stories of executives in Europe whose lives became at risk when kidnappers/gunmen opened fire on their bulletproof limousines and shattered the bulletproof glass. An integral part of the "glass" was Lexan (DuPont Acrylic brand name). I believe security for Britain's royal family now replaces bulletproof glass every three years to preclude the problem.

If you ask fountain pen vendors and ink retailers, some will tell you that some inks react with aluminum, used in some pen bodies.

Since I wanted trouble free tools, I chose stainless steel for my pen body. Color and finish choices are vast.
But in the last analysis, the nib's the thing. And what I found -- and bought -- are fountain pens that are acknowledged to write where other fountain pens will not. In the 1970s and 1980s Sailor-Japan manufactured a fountain pen with three ink flows equally spaced axially about the nib. The Trident 360 series will write so long as the nib is pointed toward the floor. It doesn't write upside down.

Like most solutions, there is a weakness in the pen. Its nib design renders it more likely to clog -- if you don't use it for several weeks.

My solution? I use my fountain pen. And when it's time to refill, I ALWAYS take five extra minutes to clean the nib by drawing water into the Sailor ink converter and spritzing it out several times. And I use only the converter, never cartridges. That's it.
Since these pens are scarce, I kind've got carried away and acquired several.

Anyone who's interested, I have two new-and-uninked w/o box Sailor Trident fountain pens, stainless steel bodies.
Caveats
Beware of cheap Red Chinese-made copies. You get what you pay for. And slave labor is cheap.

Sailor made a very few Tridents that are too small in diameter to accept Sailor ink converters. Cleaning nibs without the convenience of using an ink converter I don't want to think about. Besides, I use Noodler's Polar Black indelible ink. It is not available in cartridges.
Trident_nib.jpg
Trident_nib-2.jpg
Trident_body_complete.jpg

GregNYC

One Too Many
OK, you guys got me interested

Tomorrow I'm gonna go try a Waterman Phileas fountain pen. I'm left handed and need to look for some fast-drying ink, but I'm gonna try it! Will let you know what I think! Luckily here in NYC there are good pen shops that will let you try before you buy!

moustache

Practically Family
Nice pen!

GregNYC said:
Tomorrow I'm gonna go try a Waterman Phileas fountain pen. I'm left handed and need to look for some fast-drying ink, but I'm gonna try it! Will let you know what I think! Luckily here in NYC there are good pen shops that will let you try before you buy!

I have had two Phileas pens and both were a delight!!!Gave them away as gifts.
Happy hunting!
As for fast drying ink:So many choices!I have found the Tanzanite by Private Reserve the fastest dryer on record!But if you don't like purple,then many others are good.The new Chocolat from PR is also fast drying.

JD

GregNYC said:

I'd suggest trying a Lamy Allstar or Safair and also a Pilot Knight or a Rotring Esprit or Core if they have them as alternates.

Daisy Buchanan

John in Covina said:
Hi Daisy!

The thin / thick writing style can be acheived with different nibs such as Italic, Stub, Oblique and music nibs. Try a search on Ebay for a Platinum Music nib fountain pen. BUT the real way they got that thin / thick lines in ordinary daily writing was by using a flexible nib, again light pressure on down strokes move the nib tines apart creating a thin to thick change. People wrote using "whole are movement" not from the wrist only which gave the sweeping motions for a fluid writing line. The main scripts used were Spencerian and a version called Copperplate. Under the book section at John Neal are caligraphy, copperplate and spencerian along with other styles. They als carry dip pens with flex nibs. (Just remember no india or drawing inks in the fountain pen, fountain pen ink only. Dip pens are versitile and can use inks that would kill a fountain pen.) Also note some of the art paper makes for great writing paper with fountain pens.

http://www.johnnealbooks.com/

In Vintage Waterman and wahl seemed to have the most flex nibs. today some of the high end pens are said to have flex, but only the Namiki Falcon can compare to the flex of the past.

Sincerely,
Thanks again John, you always come through with great help! Now I have to add another thing to my list of things that I want. I'll search ebay for the nibs you've mentioned. I've been practicing a lot too. My writing style has already changed just in the past few weeks.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
Have fun with your new pen. I just love my Pelikan. So much in fact, I've been buying them left and right anywhere I can get my hands on one on sale. I have a 200 and a 600 at the moment, both in fine nib, and they are really wonderful to write with. I'm surprised you went with an extra fine. IMO Pelikan fine nibs are quite fine already. But, it's all personal preference. I like a fine line, Pelikan fine nib is my favorite of the fine's out of all the pens I have. Aurora makes a very nice fine nib as well.

I have the Extra Fine nib and have been using it for a couple of days now. It writes very well, and I do like it, but it does seem slightly scratchy. I'll get some 1400 sandpaper to see if I can fix it. I do wonder if there is a nib size difference between the classics series (150, 200, 600, etc.) and the Pelikano, because the M150 EF nib seems give the same line width as the fine on my Pelikano.

-Jake

Riposte3 said:
I have the Extra Fine nib and have been using it for a couple of days now. It writes very well, and I do like it, but it does seem slightly scratchy. I'll get some 1400 sandpaper to see if I can fix it. I do wonder if there is a nib size difference between the classics series (150, 200, 600, etc.) and the Pelikano, because the M150 EF nib seems give the same line width as the fine on my Pelikano. -Jake

Use caution Jake!

http://www.pentrace.net/penbase/Data_Returns/full_article.asp?id=403

http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/nibs.html

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
Use caution Jake!

I will, definitely. I won't be doing anything as complicated as what's in those articles, just taking an edge off the normal writing area. I'll be following the instructions from the troubleshooting section on http://www.rickconner.net/penspotters/

If I do mess it up I should still have the option of getting a replacement fine nib for free, since the original was defective. If not, they're only $13 each, and I'm willing to take the risk for only that much, if it gets such a great pen writing well.

-Jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy