Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help identifying this old movie

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Hi

I was hoping someone could help me to identify this movie, as Immdb and an internet search didn't bring results. It is black and white, possibly 1930's-40's but set in about 1800's. It is a supernatural chiller- a new governess takes up a position looking after 2 small children,a boy and girl whilst thier father is away on business (thier mother is dead). It transpires that the boy has become possed by the spirit of a nasty former worker at the house ... it's really creepy and one of the best chillers I have seen, any help identifyign it will be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Trish

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
That's easy, this is an old favorite of mine...

The Innocents - made in 1961 starring Deborah Kerr, adapted from Henry James' The Turn of the Screw.

I just watched it again with my daughter earlier this year, and it holds up very well. A genuinely disturbing classic of psychological terror!

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Thats it! Thanks sio much. I love that film.

I saw turn of the screw on imdb but I knew it wasn't this film.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's a great flick. The only psych-horror movie I like better is the 1963 version of The Haunting. They really knew how to make scary-by-implication-of-what's-NOT-shown movies back then!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
You might be interested in a related film, "The Nightcomers", with Marlon Brando. Not as subdued or atmospheric as "The Innocents", and more graphic, but it has a certain something nonetheless. I love "The Haunting"!

W-D Forties

Practically Family
The Haunting is superb. I first saw it when I was in the house alone when I was about 13 and it scraed the bejesus out of me, easpecially that bit where the door 'breathes' in and out....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24