Help Identifying This Style Of Suit

Discussion in 'Suits' started by MaxMan, Oct 21, 2018.

1. 4022FDA8-D635-453F-80B4-EE4E8EDADCB2.jpeg What style of jacket is this — without any lapels? It’s an interesting look and I was curious as to what it’s called.

Thanks,
    MaxMan

2. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

Screenshot_20181021-190448.jpg It's a Leisure jacket. Quite popular in the bold look era (1946-1953, roughly) and again in the 70s. Here's Sinatra sporting one--

3. Thanks for the quick reply! I knew someone here would know.

4. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

In the 1960's the no collar, no lapel look was rekindled by The Beatles, many a teenager had a copycat suit made. But The Beatles suits were a deliberate attention grabber, designed to shock in what was still a very conservatively dressed era. Their suits were actually designer suits. If it fascinates you there's few facts on this link. http://fashionculturist.blogspot.com/2010/05/below-is-little-snippet-from-paper-i.html
    the beatles.jpg

5. GHT,

I appreciate the link to that article. I didn’t realize that Pierre Cardin (for a time) designed for The Beatles. Interesting reading.

Thanks again -
    MaxMan

6. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Cary Grant also wore something similar in 1940's "The Philadelphia Story"
    30c8d0041fd306fdf51da70341db23c86dab49a8.jpeg 0722_1008__20151022160020.jpg phillydexcas-cl1-jkt.jpg

MondoFW and MaxMan like this.
  7. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

But I've not seen a double breasted one before.

MaxMan likes this.
  8. * Seb,
    I haven’t seen the combination of the lapelless and double breasted either. Maybe that’s why I like it so much ... a bit unusual.

Thanks,
    MaxMan

9. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

The photo that you posted gives the impression that he is a catwalk model. It's a shame that his trousers are about two sizes to big for him. The area around his crotch is so saggy that he could impersonate a penguin. As for wearing a double breasted jacket with the buttons undone and teamed with a polo shirt, I'll leave that for those who like it that way.

10. * GHT - Yes, it was on a catwalk. Personally, I like every aspect of that “look.” But, I don't know if I could pull it off being 5’ 6” and 185# unfortunately. The no-tie look is huge here on the Left Coast. The fabric appears to be very thick.

MaxMan

11. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

Uhhh, I think the sans tie look is popular EVERYWHERE in the country!

12. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Everywhere in the country? More like the world. TV personalities, politicians and Z list celebrities all have to show that it's cool to leave the tie off. How people wear their clothes is their business, but what they don't realise is the shirt is constructed to be worn with a tie, it hangs limp without one. The Polo shirt in the original photo at least looks tidy, and there are ways of wearing an open neck shirt, you just need to have one designed to be worn that way.
    old photos 555.JPG

PeterB likes this.
  13. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Yes, wearing no tie is pretty much the spirit of our age - which is fine by me as I don't wear them.

The look of that catwalk model is slightly clumsy or "off" to my eye and it may well be the capacious fit of the trousers or the haunted, pale face of the model. As is the case with almost all fashion clobber you are more likely to get away with it if the person wearing the outfit is young, tall and thin.

14. Wolf99

Wolf99 New in Town

There appears to have been a short lived fashion at the very end of the 30s for these lapel-less jackets as informal resort wear for the American upper crust. Cary Grant’s choice reflects his character’s background.

Here is a link to a blog with an illustration this from Life Magazine in 1938: http://a-hole-in-the-head.blogspot.com/2007/02/what-well-dressed-dandy-wore-circa-1938.html

Fading Fast likes this.