Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Identify This Hat

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
I bought this old hat at an antique shop years ago; well before I knew much about hats. I think I paid under 20 bucks for it. It's been a great knock-around hat for quite some time for me, but now I'd like to get a line on just what style and brand of hat it is. Any ideas? It came without any labels, hatband or liner. I appreciate anything useful you can tell me.

LittleBrownFedora3.jpg

LittleBrownFedora2.jpg

LittleBrownFedora1.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
No way to tell the brand, really, with everything missing. It's a stingy brim fedora, but I'm not sure from when, exactly

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
I'd love to see something like it in new condition so I can get some idea of just how it started out. Thanks for all the info. Please keep it coming.

Diners rock!!!

Stoney

Practically Family
Tall Straight Crown, Teardrop bash Stingy maybe 1950s.
Give us a closeup of the brim edge. If it is a stitched welt then most likely 1950 to 1960 max. 1960s to 1970s hats usually had shorter crowns and some taper in the crown. If it has a felted in edge, Cav or Mode edge, chances are higher for it to be much older maybe even 1920s or 30s. they has some stingy hats back then too.

All of these clues may be meaningless if the hat has been re-blocked and shaped in an earlier style.

You may be able to clean, re-block and rebuild this hat if the felt is serviceable.
You can always send it out to get an estimate on a refurb as well.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I had a stetson with the same type of crown and brim width that was dated 1954. It just doesn't look '30s to me, and certainly not '20s. Too stingy for that. But then again, the crown is pretty straight sided. I'd say '55 to '65? Probably more towards the earlier end

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Something to think about

The crown looks pretty tall, proportionally-speaking, which could indicate an earlier hat. Also, if that IS a Cavanagh Edge, it's quite wide, which is more prevalent on older hats than the more refined Cav Edges of later years. Could be an older Crofut & Knapp, in that case. An off-brand might have made one that wide in later years.

Have a hatter give it a good cleaning and rebuild, as it's probably worth keeping.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The edge, then, is around 5/16" to 3/8"? That's about what it looks.

If you punch out the crown, how tall is it?

Two-inch brims were quite common in the late 1920s/early 1930s. I'm holding on to my skepticism, but the jury's still out...

Brad

Stoney

Practically Family
I have some hats from the 1950s that have cav edges just about the same size.
However, that is a very tall crown and the bash, although beaten, sure looks like it was sold open crown and bashed by hand. I'm still leaning towards an earlier hat than 1950s. Stingy hats have been around a long while..It's hard to tell with just this much info.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, sure looks taller than that. I'll have to blame it on the lens.lol

General consensus would then say '50s or '60s, but maybe an off brand.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Stoney said:
I have some hats from the 1950s that have cav edges just about the same size.

Mallory, perhaps? Maybe some of the Stetson Mode Edges were that big, I can't remember for sure. I haven't studied them as much as the Hat Corp. brands. Hat Corp. was shackling them much smaller by then.

I'm with you Stoney, this hat just seems older. It sure looks like it has a 6-inch crown to me. If it was a 6-inch crown, I would say it's definitely older. I've got a '50s 5 1/2" Cavanagh, and it looks a lot shorter than this hat.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran