Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP needed in getting a Perfecto jacket

nattevagten

One of the Regulars
I have been after a Perfecto-style jacket for several years and after trying out, buying, and returning several cheaper jackets, I have pretty much given up. Seems there’s no way around getting a more expensive jacket, such as Schott, etc.

So I’ve been eyeing up a new Schott 613, but the measurements seem quite messed up. I have a 37.6” chest, but the shoulder measurement on size 38 Schott 613 is only 17.5”, which is probably too small, as most of my other jackets are of c. 18.5” shoulder width (e.g. BLK DNM’s No. 5 in size M fits me quite well). Then again, size 40 of Schott 613 is too large due to the chest measurement of 22”. I am also somewhat skeptical about the back length of 613, as I’m almost six feet tall (5.97”).

So what are the options here, look for a vintage Perfecto with correct measurements instead? Opt for a Simmons Bilt? (They have a pretty nice Perfecto-style jacket: http://www.simmonsbilt.com/vintageclassics/bike.html). Take a chance with the 17.5” shoulders on Schott 613 and return it if it turns out to be too small?

Man, I’m starting to wonder if I’ll ever find the right jacket..

Thanks

Last edited:

nattevagten

One of the Regulars
Company history aside, if anyone has any experience with Simmons Bilt’s biker jackets -- especially the ’Classic Biker’ --, I’d be grateful for your comments.

I have been after a Perfecto-style jacket for several years and after trying out, buying, and returning several cheaper jackets, I have pretty much given up. Seems there’s no way around getting a more expensive jacket, such as Schott, etc.

So I’ve been eyeing up a new Schott 613, but the measurements seem quite messed up. I have a 37.6” chest, but the shoulder measurement on size 38 Schott 613 is only 17.5”, which is probably too small, as most of my other jackets are of c. 18.5” shoulder width (e.g. BLK DNM’s No. 5 in size M fits me quite well). Then again, size 40 of Schott 613 is too large due to the chest measurement of 22”. I am also somewhat skeptical about the back length of 613, as I’m almost six feet tall (5.97”).

So what are the options here, look for a vintage Perfecto with correct measurements instead? Opt for a Simmons Bilt? (They have a pretty nice Perfecto-style jacket: http://www.simmonsbilt.com/vintageclassics/bike.html). Take a chance with the 17.5” shoulders on Schott 613 and return it if it turns out to be too small?

Thanks
Are you in an area where you can try on the Schott? That would be easiest but I know Schott has a very friendly customer service policy with regards to returns & exchanges...

nattevagten

One of the Regulars
Sorry, I forgot to mention that there are no shops in the near vicinity where I could try the Schott and I'm located in Europe.

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I would suggest to open up to some other brands, and find a place you can go and actually try some on - be measured, etc. Contact Langlitz in Oregon, they would help you out quite a bit (for one of thiers). Honestly with the exception of Schott's "traditional" offerings, most of Schott's receinte products do not strike me as high quality.

In any case - welcome to FL. It's quite a place to "chase" the ideal jacket. I've gotten the fit down pretty well now, but change my preferances in leathers, details, etc.

Thanks

Don't worry about the shoulder measurement. It doesn't really mean anything at all. In my experience, narrow shoulders on a leather jacket will only affect the sleeve length, nothing more. Focus on the size you wear, the chest width and sleeve length. If the P2P works for you, the jacket will be good.

Schott 613 is a fantastic fitting jacket. Possibly the best fitting cross zip I've had, albeit mine was vintage but regardless, the 613 still has the reputation of being the nicest Perfecto they've made. I'd personally grade it way above SB's cross zip. and most other, for that matter. And I can tell you right away that SB is restrictive as hell. Nearly uncomfortable to wear while you can practically live in Schott.

It costs a lot, I know, but Schott 613 is a perfectly fitting, perfectly functional cross zip and even at a full price tag you can't go wrong.

Vanson makes a good jacket, too.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
I think we’re about the same height (182 cm) but I have a bigger chest size (39.5). I have a Schott 618, really great jacket. As @Monitor stated, the Schott pattern is super comfortable to wear and the mobility is really good.
However, in my size 42 (with 19 inch shoulders) the sleeves run on the short side for my height (had it been a custom order, I would have speced them 1.5 inches longer). I fear the sleeves might fit even shorter for you in a Schott that would fit you in the chest.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are quite a few 613 variance. The 613US (slimmer cut?), 613UST , 613SH etc. Shoulder is a tricky part because most shops measure the shoulder in a straight line which leads to some margin of error depending on the shoulder design and cut. However I see shoulder as very essential measurements if they do get it right. Think of a hanger, your shoulder carries the jacket and if that fit, a little extra room round your chest usually won't make the jacket look wildly oversized (provided that the jacket don't have extra wide sleeves). You can even layer up underneath if needed. Here is some reference, my friend has 18 inches shoulder only 37 chest and he wears a size 40 Buco. I have 38 chest and 17 inches shoulder and I wear a size 38 Buco. I can't wear a size 40 because of my shoulder and I end up only able to wear a t shirt underneath my Buco while my friend can choose to wear a t shirt or a denim jacket underneath. Having said that, a 44 inch jacket for you is indeed too big so your best hope may be the margin of error in the shoulder measurements.
The waist is another tricky part of the 613 with the built-in belt.

Last edited:

nattevagten

One of the Regulars
I think we’re about the same height (182 cm) but I have a bigger chest size (39.5). I have a Schott 618, really great jacket. As @Monitor stated, the Schott pattern is super comfortable to wear and the mobility is really good.
However, in my size 42 (with 19 inch shoulders) the sleeves run on the short side for my height (had it been a custom order, I would have speced them 1.5 inches longer). I fear the sleeves might fit even shorter for you in a Schott that would fit you in the chest.

Oh well, I guess 613 (at least in size 38) is out of the question then. I was afraid the sleeve length might be an issue at my height (182/183 cm or so), as I also have a vintage cross-zip in size 38 from the 80s which seems to be a 618 copy, and the sleeves on that one are awfully short as well.

I'll keep checking eBay for vintage Perfectos. Even with import duties, taxes, etc. the prices from Japanese sellers are usually quite cheap.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Oh well, I guess 613 (at least in size 38) is out of the question then. I was afraid the sleeve length might be an issue at my height (182/183 cm or so), as I also have a vintage cross-zip in size 38 from the 80s which seems to be a 618 copy, and the sleeves on that one are awfully short as well.

I'll keep checking eBay for vintage Perfectos. Even with import duties, taxes, etc. the prices from Japanese sellers are usually quite cheap.

I am by no means an expert on anything in this hobby, but with your height and build you probably need to go custom to get the sleeve length right. I say probably because preferred sleeve length is subjective, and height and length of arms does not correlate absolutely. But of course, if you know what measurements work for you, it could be possible to find a vintage or OTR jacket that fits like you want it to.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

If you are tall with an athletic build ou can forget the Schott Perfecto!
I am 6'2" (188cm) and 78kg, 41" chest and 33" waist and i have already sent 4 of them back. I tried a new current model, and 3 different vintage ones from different eras. Without fail they all had super baggy waist and looked like crap on me. I can live with short sleeves, but a floppy waist i can't...
IMO most Schott jackets are designed with a beer belly in mind, and unless you have one you are screwed.

nattevagten

One of the Regulars
If you are tall with an athletic build ou can forget the Schott Perfecto!
I am 6'2" (188cm) and 78kg, 41" chest and 33" waist and i have already sent 4 of them back. I tried a new current model, and 3 different vintage ones from different eras. Without fail they all had super baggy waist and looked like crap on me. I can live with short sleeves, but a floppy waist i can't...
IMO most Schott jackets are designed with a beer belly in mind, and unless you have one you are screwed.

Oh wow, wouldn't have thought the Schott jackets are so ill-fitting on certain body types! Have you had more success with other companies in finding a good-fitting Perfecto jacket? I might have to get in touch with Simmons Bilt to see what are the measurements on their jackets.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Oh wow, wouldn't have thought the Schott jackets are so ill-fitting on certain body types! Have you had more success with other companies in finding a good-fitting Perfecto jacket? I might have to get in touch with Simmons Bilt to see what are the measurements on their jackets.

On me they are usually a baggy mess with short sleeves...
My first jacket was a Scott 644 and i had to have it adjusted, a tailor removed 1" from each sides for me and made it an OK fit.

Fit wise, it depends what you mean by a "perfecto style" jacket, if all you mean is a belted MC jacket, then yes i have found some:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/my-leather-jacket-database.93804/

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hit up Carrie at Thurston-Brothers, it's best to get a good fit jacket and get the right fit, the first time around. You'll save quite a bit of $$$ and frustration. They have Vanson, Thedi & Aero to choose from

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I’m 5’10 with a 36” chest and the 38 613 fits me. 36 fits but t-shirt rocker slim. Not sure what the import cost of a Schott to europe is but how comparable is the price for a custom Aero or Simmons?

nattevagten

One of the Regulars
I’m 5’10 with a 36” chest and the 38 613 fits me. 36 fits but t-shirt rocker slim. Not sure what the import cost of a Schott to europe is but how comparable is the price for a custom Aero or Simmons?

The main issue with 613 is the sleeve length. If I'm not wrong, it measures around 24.5" on size 38, which isn't enough.

As for prices, Simmons is a clear winner in this regard. Their customisable 'Classic' biker jacket goes for £550 (= 620 euros), whereas 613 is in the range of 800-1000 euros when bought from European distributors. Aero is in a similar range.

Not quite sure what to do. I might have to write to Simmons for their measurements and continue stalking eBay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB