Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help needed with early flying trousers/ pants

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Not sure this is the correct place for this as the pants are pre war but I need to pick the brains of the type of chap commonly found in these waters.

I have here, I think, a pair of French flying trousers. The label shows a date of 1936 and the condition is incredible. My intention was to have them cut down to my size but I have come to realise that this should not take place, they are just too beautiful.

My questions are, are these as rare as I think they might be? How would I best find the correct owner (they seem to my untrained eye museum type specimens) and what might be their worth?

They are exceptionally heavy and all the fittings are in perfect order. The canvas suspenders are wonderful and there is little wear, certainly nothing heavy, anywhere on them. The zip is oustanding. Ideas?

French%20Flying%20Trousers

(still struggling with posting pictures, rather than URLs, help with that also?)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The bottom link on the page there, just copy it and paste it in the window here.

L1020864.jpg

Are they leather? Pardon my asking an obvious question, but they look like they might be waxed fabric maybe?
They are remarkable. Spitfire? BellyTank? Help?

Very WOW. What's with the thigh pockets?

L1020872.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
French civilian flying trousers, date and manufacturer as label. Very interesting. French zips are rare and to be coveted. Note the teeth on the thigh zips - like 1920s locking fasteners. Brilliant. Note also the waist adjustment - two 'O' rings as was adopted for fastening the collar on Irvin jackets at the same time.

Finally, if you have the trousers, please inspect the underside of the press-studs. Prym or Newey Bros?

What excellent kecks!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Yes - such teeth. I've been over-excited twice recently!

Baron Kurtz said:
Dude, what about the zip-puller? Let's see it/them!

Yes, HJ, those teeth very much like the teeth recently in the zipper thread no? From a jumper IIRC.

Fantastic troos!

bk

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Thank you Gentlemen.

I have just returned to the Lounge, after a brief absence, to find your responses.

Only yesterday I listed these on Ebay. I've no idea what interest I will get but you have confirmed my view that they are interesting to say the least.

If any Lounger is interested in having them, please get in touch. Happy to swap them or sell. Would rather keep them in the family & only parting with them as they don't fit me. There's more photos on the listing if you just want to take a look at them:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=290288348813&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=019

along with the first batch of my vintage clear out.

Yes they are certainly leather! very soft and supple. HJ, the underside of the copper press-studs have 3 odd looking hieroglyphics and the letter RG, with the R backwards. I'll try and take a close up of the zip fasteners for you freaks!

Thanks again chaps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart