Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP With Aero Highwayman jacket!

libby

New in Town
Hi Guys,
This is my first ever post so i do apologise if this type of question has come up before, im just hoping that someone can help me out! As im a new comer i think it's only decent to give a breif introduction about myself. Im 41 years of age, the number one love in my life are my two daughters and my wife. Second to that is my love for judo and training in the gym, and thats it really guys! But lately after a bonus from work i decided to treat myself to a quality leather jacket as i have never owned a leather jacket before. My wife joked that im having a mid life crisis! I didn't want to go for a high street jacket, i wanted something special! So after a bit of research i have settled for an Aero Highwayman. Amanda at Aero has been very patient and helpfull, im ready to place my order any time now. My only problem is deciding on what colour to go for. I know this is just a matter of personel opinion, but could someone give me a little advice? I intend wearing the jacket with just my jeans , boots and tee shirt nothing formal. Is there a colour that you just cant go wrong with? Amanda has very kindly sent me some samples of all the colours of FQHH available for the aforementioned style of jacket. Any Advice on this silly little crisis of mine would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks.

icecold

One of the Regulars
Well, if you put it that way, I say to with basic black. This is the original color of the highwayman. Unless you are going to buy many leather jackets, black is probably the safest and most versatile color to start with.
Brown is great, but for some idiosyncratic reason I consider it a "secondary" color for leather (most of the gentlemen here will disagree:eek: ) and I would love to get a brown jacket, but only after having a good base of blacks.

libby

New in Town
Cheers Mate,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have actually narrowed my choice down to two colours now, im sat here staring at the samples. My final two choices are the Black (as you have kindly recommended) or the Cordovan? What do you think, should i go for th black or Cordovan?

Peacoat

Bartender
My Cordovan Highwayman is great. I have several motorcycle jackets in black and wanted something different. I think the Cordovan (or the brown) just has more character than the black.

I don't have a cordovan...but I would imagine that it wears much like the brown. However,here's a couple of examples of the brown and black HH with several years of wear.

100_0415.jpg

100_0410.jpg

HD

bobjones

A-List Customer
I am considering my next Aero, which as usual in my ultra deliberative pace, should take about 4-6 months, so it seems like we are in the same boat agonizing over the details.

My suggestion would be to get brown actually, and that's b/c it has more "personality" than black. It shows wear and age better, as black doesn't seem to show marbling and patina anywhere near as well.

I also like brown better as so many "mall jackets" are black, and I wanted something different.

jaxx

New in Town
hey bud i just recieved my highwayman in cordovan and i love it. it looks really good in daylight and already is showing a good breaking in pattern.
i got it yesterday in the mail

here are a few pics

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I'm with Peacoat--cordovan.

I have a black Highwayman, and I love it. But, I have two other Aero jackets in cordovan and they get ten times the wear, as they seem to have ten times the personality.

libby

New in Town
Thanks so much guys, you all seem like a great bunch of blokes. Im pretty sure now that im going to go for the Cordovan. I will place my order with Aero Later today, and i promise to post some photos in eight weeks time as soon as i recieve it. One other questiion guys (Sorry for being a pain) i have told Aero that i want the Highwayman to be a close snug fit (just the way i want it) I have given them all my measurements and they have assured me they will get the fit "just right". Because i want the snugger , closer fit is there any merit in say quoting smaller measurements to Aero? For instance, if im a 45 inch chest should i tell Aero that im say a 42 inch chest and similarly for my other measurements? Any one with any thoughts or experience on this subject. Once again, Cheers Lads! :)

Libby
I wouldn't recommend sending smaller measurements to Aero. Trust Amanda to get the fit as close as possible to what you want. If you send your true(exact) measurements they can adjust for a snugger fit. Keep in mind that the Highwayman is a boxier pattern than their HalfBelt...or even snugger(trimmer) '30s style HalfBelt. However I'm sure they can trim up the waist and body of the Highwayman somewhat.
HD

Here's a pic of my Highwayman made to my exact measurements. do you want yours snugger than this?
100_0458.jpg

libby

New in Town
hoosier Daddy,
thanks Mate,
Thats exactly as i would want my highwayman to fit (yours looks great). So you would recommend i give Aero exact measurements and explain what type of fit i want, then just leave the rest to Aero?

jaxx

New in Town
amanda is great. i gave her my exact measurments and she nailed it. its snug and is perfect even with a sweater or hoodie underneath. also the buckles on the side help a ton. itll draw the waist up from a 38 which i have to a 34.

libby

New in Town
Hi jaxx,
Thanks for your input mate. I saw your earlier post with the photos, it's a really cool looking jacket. It seems that the general view is to give Aero your exact measurements and in my case tell them that i want a close slim fit and Aero will do the rest. I would be a little diassapointed if after having waited eight weeks the fit isn't as i would have prefered. Would you say the Highwayman is best worn as a close slim (not tight) fit? You seem more than satisfied with the fit of yours. i cant believe im making so much fuss over a bloody jacket, but as im going to fork out £400.00 i want it right.

jaxx

New in Town
haha man no worries. i emailed amanda maybe 150 times before i ordered. i to was worried about the fit. and especially since im not average by any means and this is my first real nice leather jacket. on me it is a slim fit. definatly not bulky. but i can wear a sweatshirt or thicker long sleeve under if need be. i do not think its a winter jacket at all. but it does hold heat very well. yeaterday it was 35 and i wore a tshirt and my aero and was perfect. but if it gets around 30 and windy you may need a longsleeve. i told amanda my exact measurments and then told her i wanted a little bigger so i could fit a sweater underneath. as long as you tell them everything you want. it will work out perfect. ill post some pics of me wearing it a little later. when i get home.
don't worry amanda and aero will take care of you.

libby

New in Town
Cheers jax,
I have just got off the phone to a gentleman called "Will" from aero, he's a great bloke, really helpfull! He has basically assured me based on my measurements and a couple of additional ones he can get the fit just as i want it. Im going to give them my official order later tonight. He says its no problem. I will look forward to seeing your photos!

jaxx

New in Town
im taking them now. so they will be up soon. yea i talked to will too. hes an awesome guy and my jacket was made by janet and she did amazing. but i havnt heard anything but great things about all the people at aero. pics are incoming soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats