Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help With Custom Hat Order

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
I would have to agree. If you are looking for a nice contrasting color, dark brown would fit nicely. I would definitely get some pics of different options though so you know you like what you're getting.

Last year I did'nt think about buying a new hat. I am finally up to have David Gibson make me a hat and I would like some advice on a few design options. It will be a pecan beaver hat with a 2.5 inch raw brim. What are your thoughts on a black ribbon or pecan ribbon? I am leaning towards a black ribbon. I am also thinking about a diamond crown.

Thank you, David

Personally, I think black would contrast too much. David should have a good selection of ribbon and matching d ask for his opinion.

Here’s a pecan fedora that Another hatter made me:

A9CA4808-3CE9-49E2-B338-21F5867078A4.jpeg

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I agree with the other posts, black isn’t the best color. When I received my Stratoliner it had a black thin ribbon. I ordered a walnut and every picture I had ever seen had a matching ribbon. I really should have sent the hat back, but I decide to keep it. It grew on me, but definitely not my favorite combination.

A95563F6-555D-4D11-B7C7-92CF58C66D49.jpeg

Good luck with your choice.
Steven

David Hill

New in Town
Let me state my bias up front.....I dislike black ribbons on all but black hats. I own a number of Pecan felts and think it is a great felt colour......very versatile but I think a black ribbon would do nothing to enhance it. I suggest when the hat is blocked get David to send you pics with a selection of ribbons......say a Pecan or Serpent, a Black and one of HIS choice. What does he think looks good?? 3 is a good number as more tends to be too much choice and confusing. What is David's lead time these days?

His lead time is about 6 to 8 months now.

David Hill

New in Town
David Gibson suggested the ribbons on this picture with my hat. Can I get others opinions on these colors? The bottom ribbon is metal, next is serpent and then pecan. The pecan color ribbon is a different shade that the pecan hat. I am leaning to the serpent ribbon.

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 349
David Gibson suggested the ribbons on this picture with my hat. Can I get others opinions on these colors? The bottom ribbon is metal, next is serpent and then pecan. The pecan color ribbon is a different shade that the pecan hat. I am leaning to the serpent ribbon.

I think this should be between you and your hatter. :)

Trust your leanings or defer to the artist.

You are just going to get three different answers from us Loungers.

The good thing is there isn’t a wrong choice among those three. The only ribbon colors I’ve regretted have been when I specified a color rather than trusting the hatter. Good luck.

Scooterz

Practically Family
PecanwithSilver or Greyribbon.jpg

Older Pecan VS with maybe a silver or grey ribbon, it may be just like the metal ribbon in your picture. I like the red stripe on the bow keeper. I would love to copy this hat, and probably will someday, it could be from almost any decade. You could have walked onto a movie set in the 40's and it would fit right in. Its not mine, not sure whose it is/was. If David Gibson is making ribbons like Art did then you could have some accent or contrast in the bow. I would have a hard time choosing the ribbon for your hat between those three. Maybe serpent ribbon and the pecan or metal for the bow keeper or an accent stripe? They would all look good though.

Last edited:

Gwyllgi

New in Town
Hello again everyone,

Too Long: Didn't Read - Looking for help designing a custom hat evoking the feeling of Alan Furst novels.

This is probably an odd question, perhaps even a rookie question. I first started loving fedoras with Indiana Jones as I suspect most guys my age were. I’ve gone through a few makers (Akubra, Steele and Jones, Herbert Johnson) in my quest for my Indy hat. With HJ, I think I’ve found the one. Now I’m curious to expand my hat collection. Many years ago, I attempted my first non-Indy hat with a fedora from Black Sheep but due to a hazily formed idea of what I wanted and the passage of time and solidification of my style (I hope), I have become dissatisfied with it. Now, I think I’m ready to try again. My issue at the moment is that I’m woefully under informed as to the particulars in non-Indy hats. Which leads to the question at hand. I have a strong picture in my mind of the feeling and aesthetic I wish to express with this hat but I think I lack the know how in order to explain it. I have certain characteristics that I want from the Indy hat (devil you know) and photos of hats that I admire. I’m looking to blend them together to fit.

As I have stated previously, I have a huge head. 65.1 cm around which is a hat size 8+ I believe. Also, I like having my head down around my ears a bit more than the norm and so like having more volume in the crown. For this obvious reason I cannot buy vintage hats from eBay and the like and must go custom. I’ve accepted this.

So to start -

- A tall crown - maybe somewhere between 12-14 centimeters

- A medium brim - somewhere between 6 and 7 centimeters

- A dimensional cut brim. This is prime Indy but I love the look of a dimensional cut.

- A really good swoop to the front of the brim. Not a snap but a swoop.

- A medium sized ribbon.

- Not a loose pinch but not a razor tight Raiders pinch.

So to exercise a bit of creative writing (indulge my poor prose), I’m looking for a hat that invokes the feelings of the following.

- A rogue investigative reporter sitting in a rundown dive bar nursing a whiskey as he tries to sort out the whirlpool of conspiracy and deception that he’s found himself in before he’s pulled under.

- A pair of OSS agents chasing a double agent across the moonlit roofs of Istanbul before the Nazi spy delivers the sensitive information and dooms a top secret operation.

- A scruffy private detective that’s just gone ten rounds in the ring in an effort to infiltrate a mob-run boxing league to find the man that murdered his partner.

So something noirish, something rugged. Adventurous without straying too close to Indy. Maybe a grittier, more urban globetrotting Indy. Something that invokes the works of James Ellroy and Alan Furst.

So I’m looking for help in designing something with this aesthetic. Attached are the photos of inspiration photos. The first photos are my favorite. It’s an old Penman design from the Electric Speakeasy. It's almost exactly what I want but I’d like to put a personal touch on it. The crown shape is perfect in my opinion. What kind of ribbon bows would look the part? Should I have the front of the crown slightly higher than the back? What’s a good looking medium pinch? Etc, etc, etc. Am I crazy for trying to design a hat like this?

The photo link is here -
https://imgur.com/a/cq2MnYW

Thanks in advance!

Hello again everyone,

Too Long: Didn't Read - Looking for help designing a custom hat evoking the feeling of Alan Furst novels.

This is probably an odd question, perhaps even a rookie question. I first started loving fedoras with Indiana Jones as I suspect most guys my age were. I’ve gone through a few makers (Akubra, Steele and Jones, Herbert Johnson) in my quest for my Indy hat. With HJ, I think I’ve found the one. Now I’m curious to expand my hat collection. Many years ago, I attempted my first non-Indy hat with a fedora from Black Sheep but due to a hazily formed idea of what I wanted and the passage of time and solidification of my style (I hope), I have become dissatisfied with it. Now, I think I’m ready to try again. My issue at the moment is that I’m woefully under informed as to the particulars in non-Indy hats. Which leads to the question at hand. I have a strong picture in my mind of the feeling and aesthetic I wish to express with this hat but I think I lack the know how in order to explain it. I have certain characteristics that I want from the Indy hat (devil you know) and photos of hats that I admire. I’m looking to blend them together to fit.

As I have stated previously, I have a huge head. 65.1 cm around which is a hat size 8+ I believe. Also, I like having my head down around my ears a bit more than the norm and so like having more volume in the crown. For this obvious reason I cannot buy vintage hats from eBay and the like and must go custom. I’ve accepted this.

So to start -

- A dimensional cut brim. This is prime Indy but I love the look of a dimensional cut.

- A medium sized ribbon.

So to exercise a bit of creative writing (indulge my poor prose), I’m looking for a hat that invokes the feelings of the following.

- A rogue investigative reporter sitting in a rundown dive bar nursing a whiskey as he tries to sort out the whirlpool of conspiracy and deception that he’s found himself in before he’s pulled under.

- A pair of OSS agents chasing a double agent across the moonlit roofs of Istanbul before the Nazi spy delivers the sensitive information and dooms a top secret operation.

- A scruffy private detective that’s just gone ten rounds in the ring in an effort to infiltrate a mob-run boxing league to find the man that murdered his partner.

So something noirish, something rugged. Adventurous without straying too close to Indy. Maybe a grittier, more urban globetrotting Indy. Something that invokes the works of James Ellroy and Alan Furst.

So I’m looking for help in designing something with this aesthetic. Attached are the photos of inspiration photos. The first photos are my favorite. It’s an old Penman design from the Electric Speakeasy. It's almost exactly what I want but I’d like to put a personal touch on it. The crown shape is perfect in my opinion. What kind of ribbon bows would look the part? Should I have the front of the crown slightly higher than the back? What’s a good looking medium pinch? Etc, etc, etc. Am I crazy for trying to design a hat like this?

The photo link is here -

Thanks in advance!
The photos you show are of a fairly standard fedora and most custom hatters can replicate that as long as they have a block that large. I would find a custom hatter and begin the conversation with them. Peruse their websites and they may even show a model that replicates your desired look.

Hello again everyone,

So to start -

- A medium sized ribbon.

The photo link is here -

Thanks in advance!

Your photos are of pretty standard fare. I will say that a 14cm crown is not tall and a 12cm crown is quite low particularly for your size; personally, I think 16cm would be my minimum. Although 7cm is on the wide side for a fedora it is about as small as I’d consider for a hat in your size to look proportional, and I’d think hard about going wider.

Your biggest issue will be finding a hatter who has a block and flange that will accommodate your size. First thing I’d do is reach out to the usual suspects and see if they can make a hat in your size. Most good hatters can take your photos and make you a reasonable facsimile of the hat.

89quattro

One of the Regulars
My experience over the short term is that there are only a few custom hatters that will build hats in our size with dimensions similar to those you are looking for. As others have stated, tooling availability is a problem, along with obtaining felt bodies with enough material.

I have had several mis-adventures with custom hatters that over promised and under delivered with requirements similar to yours. My only success was with Parker at Falcon Park, he has blocks up to 26 inches that are straight and tall.

Hufvud and/or Hornskov may be possible options for a custom build, but at this point I'm unwilling to shell out $375+ for an experiment.

My go to option has been accumulating 64 cm Campcraft's and DM Adventurers and tweaking/bashing them for different looks. See below for an example, it's an Adventurer were I trimmed 1/4 in off the brim all around and added simple edge binding. Yes, I still need to work them over a few times a year with steam/stretcher to make for a more comfortable fit, but it's a cost effective option that works for me.

upload_2021-12-3_14-26-33.png

I recently asked Michal Gannon to add my plum colored 160g nutria felt to his queue. It will have a 6” crown and I can probably get up to 3 1/8” out of the brim, but I can of course go for less too. I was thinking that the felt was going to be darker, but as you can see from the full sun photos it’s not very dark.

Anyone have suggestions? I’d like for it to be more than a novelty hat and it’s dress weight not western weight felt. I thought I could do a not too dark charcoal ribbon? Open to your thoughts.

62742993-B596-42F1-8E6E-2AC16A149F3C.jpeg
7E627A46-8B39-4393-86BD-D9219BA98094.jpeg
8DA3276D-1617-4548-8097-3060D0E0B064.jpeg
52D301EE-2859-40FA-AEE2-F0792A0802CE.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I thought I could do a not too dark charcoal ribbon? Open to your thoughts.

I concur with your choice, Brent. Mike at NW made me a bowler from the old Black Cherry felt and used a mid-silver/grey ribbon (might be called Commando???) that looks great; a very complementary color. I'll post pictures in the New Hats thread. [My TFL friends will have to forgive me. I am very delinquent in posting several new hats :( ]

Here is a pic I saved from another post. This one might be one of Bill's hats @Bill Hughes
qu2ypuhy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ