Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roy Munson

New in Town
Cool hat, welcome to the Lounge. Are you just getting started collecting? This os definitely a great place for information.

If you are looking for more information in the forum, it helps to do a google search within the site. You can include the below text in your google search and it will search the forum.

site:thefedoralounge.com

It took me a while to figure out, and it really helps.
Thanks. Loving all the help here :)

Tom Campbell the Hatter was in business by 1921 when his Tom Campbell's Smile Hat Shop served the Royal family. For many years Tom Campbell advertised his trade on a hill which overlooks the Bow River in the Northeast part of Calgary. In 1991 this hill would honour the hatter and take the name Tom Campbell's Hill. I was unable to determine when he went out of business.

Picture from the 1940's
IMG_0297.JPG

http://contentdm.ucalgary.ca/digital/collection/glenbow/id/23483/

In the 1960's No.1 Quality felt was a Western grade only. It & the Western Nutria were both priced at $10.00.

Bryan Diehl

New in Town
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I did see some short conversation in the Ask a Question Get an Answer thread about this specific hat but there wasn't any real resolution. I'm hoping that if I ask as it's own topic some more eyes may be on it and maybe someone will know who makes this hat and where I can find it for sale. There was speculation that it could be Lock & Co who I did reach out to, but they responded saying it was not one of theirs. This is the hat in question:

upload_2021-5-20_8-48-7.png

upload_2021-5-20_8-48-29.png

upload_2021-5-20_8-49-5.png

upload_2021-5-20_8-49-38.png

upload_2021-5-20_8-51-26.png

Thanks for the help. Hoping someone knows more about this one...

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I did see some short conversation in the Ask a Question Get an Answer thread about this specific hat but there wasn't any real resolution. I'm hoping that if I ask as it's own topic some more eyes may be on it and maybe someone will know who makes this hat and where I can find it for sale. There was speculation that it could be Lock & Co who I did reach out to, but they responded saying it was not one of theirs. This is the hat in question:

View attachment 336052
View attachment 336053
View attachment 336054
View attachment 336055
View attachment 336056

I don’t see anything that identifies the hat as a specific make or model. It’s very similar to many hats. Unless Mr. Beckham is on record talking about it or if there is a photo of the liner and/or sweatband I can’t see how it can be identified. Perhaps if the company has some sort of advertising (product placement?) rights, but that doesn’t seem to be the case as the information isn’t readily available.

It really looks like a very common style vintage hat that is beat up and misshapen. Are you just looking for that style/look or is there some reason you want to identify the exact hat?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
We really cannot just ID a hat with only exterior photos. It could be any number of nondescript felt hats, especially as his is quite weathered.

Presuming he bought it from a hat shop (a big presumption to be sure), you might also look at the Bates or Christy's lines. Even if it was a Bates or Lock, Christy's probably made it.

There's also the distinct possibility that exact model is no longer offered. Do you like the proportions,or do you just want the satisfaction of knowing you have David Beckham's hat?

I don’t see anything that identifies the hat as a specific make or model. It’s very similar to many hats. Unless Mr. Beckham is on record talking about it or if there is a photo of the liner and/or sweatband I can’t see how it can be identified. Perhaps if the company has some sort of advertising (product placement?) rights, but that doesn’t seem to be the case as the information isn’t readily available.

It really looks like a very common style vintage hat that is beat up and misshapen. Are you just looking for that style/look or is there some reason you want to identify the exact hat?
I could make that exact hat except would need to charge more than standard as I would need to sleep wearing the hat for a number of days to get it properly rumpled...Maybe a walk in the rain as well.

Bryan Diehl

New in Town
We really cannot just ID a hat with only exterior photos. It could be any number of nondescript felt hats, especially as his is quite weathered.

Presuming he bought it from a hat shop (a big presumption to be sure), you might also look at the Bates or Christy's lines. Even if it was a Bates or Lock, Christy's probably made it.

There's also the distinct possibility that exact model is no longer offered. Do you like the proportions,or do you just want the satisfaction of knowing you have David Beckham's hat?
I just like the style and proportions. I’m having a very tough time finding anything online from the tight pinch in front to the weathered look. If you or anyone knows of something somewhere similar, I’d appreciate the guidance.

Bryan Diehl

New in Town

I just like this style but all the sites I go to seem to have a very standard fedora look and not this vintage look. Any advice where I can look for something similar to this?

I just like this style but all the sites I go to seem to have a very standard fedora look and not this vintage look. Any advice where I can look for something similar to this?

The best way to get the vintage look is to buy vintage. Most of us here look for vintage hats that aren’t beat up. Beckham’s hat really does look like a great many hats from the late 1950s through the 1970s. It’s simple to tighten the pinch yourself and you can wad the hat up into a ball a few times if you like his distressed look.

look through eBay and see if there is anything that matches your preferences.

Last edited:
I just like the style and proportions. I’m having a very tough time finding anything online from the tight pinch in front to the weathered look. If you or anyone knows of something somewhere similar, I’d appreciate the guidance.
If you hunt on Ebay you will find many hats with the bones to recreate this hat. There really is nothing exceptional about it. 2" or maybe 2 1/4" brim, lower crown about 4" as pinched. Check out the Borsalino offerings depending on your size they are multiple examples on Ebay. Borsalino hats are soft so you should be able to recreate this rumpled/distressed look easily. Unless you are willing to spend big bucks on a pre distressed hat your best bet is to buy used and do the distressing yourself. If you want to spend I can recreate this very hat for you.

Your terminology is incorrect. The hat in your pic is not necessarily a vintage hat. Vintage hats are usually examples of fedoras that are well taken care of. You are seeking a hat that has been worn, used and most importantly abused. Buy yourself a decent used hat and do the abusing yourself. Your only hope is to search on Ebay or in the Goodwill stores for a hat that has been abused.

Bryan Diehl

New in Town
Your terminology is incorrect. The hat in your pic is not necessarily a vintage hat. Vintage hats are usually examples of fedoras that are well taken care of. You are seeking a hat that has been worn, used and most importantly abused. Buy yourself a decent used hat and do the abusing yourself. Your only hope is to search on Ebay or in the Goodwill stores for a hat that has been abused.
Out of curiosity, what would having a hat customized to look like this one cost me if I were to pay you to do so?

I agree that vintage is not the same as distressed. I keep editing my responses as they are judgmental and that’s not what I want. I personally don’t like that style, but good for the other guy if he does.

Maybe I should start a concierge hat service where I buy them on eBay and resale them for 2-3 times the price?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First off, welcome to the lounge.
If you want a hat in that colour with that ribbon in that kind of condition look at eBay. Do a searches on the standard brands Dobbs, Biltmore, borsalino, Stetson. Search pre-owned. Depending on your hat size you will probably be looking at the better part of $100. If this is your first jump into fedora hats the crown is soft and can be re-shaped to however you like. So if the crown doesn’t match what you want, that can be changed. Modern factory produced fedoras, when not taken care of, will look like that after a rain shower or two and not left to dry properly.
Second option is to buy a nice factory produced hat and wear it till it looks all beaten up. I prefer Akubra hats myself. A great “buy and wear” hat is the Stylemaster in acorn Fawn. https://hatsdirect.com/collections/the-akubra-range-1/products/stylemaster
The crown comes pre creased so all you will have to do is tighten the front pinch a bit to get a closer match. The brim looks like it was snapped down, got wet, dried in the down position then snapped back up. I have a few hats that that happened to that gave them the wonky brim.
Two other Akubras I would mention are the Fedora
https://hatsdirect.com/collections/the-akubra-range-1/products/fedora
Doesent come in Fawn and the Federation
https://hatsdirect.com/collections/the-akubra-range-1/products/federation-iv-open-crown
that does come in Fawn with the darker hat band that matches better. The only thing is they come open crown. This means you can play with the crown and crease it as close as you want to the hat shown. There are a few videos online that show how to do this. It’s not that hard but can be intimidating.
Last recommendation is going custom. Contact one of the fine hat makers we have here and get one made up. This is of course the most expensive option but it is the best way to get exactly what you want. Here is a thread talking about them.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/how-many-custom-hat-shops-are-left.102771/
Prices are usually listed on the hatters web page. Keep in mind the hats are hand made one at a time so there will be a wait time. Some are a few months, some are over a year. Something you talk to the hat maker about. https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/how-many-custom-hat-shops-are-left.102771/
hope that helps some. Any more questions please feel free to ask.
Johnny

Edward

Bartender
Beckham has developed an interesting style as he's aged. He's come a long way since the his and hers matching leather jumpsuits...

As to this hat, hard to tell exactly what it is. Beckham wears a lot of Stetson branded hats, so it could be one of theirs. It's not hard to find very similar hats these days, though, if you look somewhere like https://www.hatcentre.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home The Hat Centre. (North London / Stamford Hill business run by a lovely, older Jewish gentleman with a great sense of humour; if you ever call in in person and it's not open, be sure to ring the bell, as he's often on his own in the shop so has to lock the door if he needs to go into the storeroom.)

As @jlee562 has noted, if he bought it in the UK there's a high chance it's a Christies. A lot of people over here like to look down on them as a "cheap" option, though most similar hats from many much more expensive brands here in the UK are manufactured by Christies and simply carry the more expensive label... https://www.christys-hats.com/ I've had a Christies or two in my time, and they were pretty decent.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 336052
View attachment 336053
View attachment 336054
View attachment 336055
View attachment 336056

It's a Lock & Co hat (Dave was a big fan, or rather his fashion designer/style consultant was)) but as to which model, you'll have to do your own research. Those photos date from 2017 so it could be that particular model has been discontuned.
The Beckhams rarely wore the same outfits twice in public so this particular hat, although it looks used, was probably new & only worn on that event.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21