Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help.......

ALLAN PRICE

New in Town
Hi folks,
got meself a navy blue,wool double breasted suit.Its only a 2 piece tho' and would like a waistcoat to go with it so my question to you is...would it be acceptable to wear one that isnt matching fabric???if so what would you suggest?
thanks on advance...
Al

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
If it's a double breasted suit you don't need a waistcoat as very little of the waistcoat will be visible, although you can wear a waistcoat with it anyway if you want. If you do decide to wear a waistcoat with it I'd avoid wearing a similar colour but go for a contrast. With a navy blue suit you could wear a grey, beige, yellow, burgundy or maybe even green waistcoat (although I'd be careful with the latter as it will only work with the right shade of green).

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:)I agree on all points. On a personal note I never thought I would want to wear something yellow but the old apparel arts illustrations made me wish I had a yellow waistcoat. Amazing how taste changes. Maybe I am to easy to influence.

WH1

Practically Family
Until World War Two it seems it was common to have a vest with a double breasted suit. I have always thought it a rather nice look.

FFF, that is called developing good taste and style. At least that is what I keep telling myself.
I have also been heavily influenced by the Apparel Arts illustrations. I have many of them saved in a folder on my desktop and frequently reference them when dressing. They are the epitome of style. The illustrator Laurence Fellows did beautiful work.

Surprisingly he has a Facebook Page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Laurence-Fellows/186651571347872

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
A vest under a double breasted suit these days seems to require turning the central heating down to a level that will bring complaint from the rest of the family. Yes, it was popular before WWII but buildings were less well heated then. Today, IMO, the DB is best left unadorned by a waistcoat.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
A vest under a double breasted suit these days seems to require turning the central heating down to a level that will bring complaint from the rest of the family. Yes, it was popular before WWII but buildings were less well heated then. Today, IMO, the DB is best left unadorned by a waistcoat.
I disagree. I've found that unless the DB suit is made of exceptionally heavy material or it's a very hot day the waistcoat won't make it unbearably warm.

Hal

Practically Family
Let them (and also colleagues who like to work in a hothouse) complain - they can put more clothes on! If it's too hot to wear such a suit indoors during the heating season, the heating is set too high. Overheated interiors play havoc with sensible and stylish dressing.

Last edited:

ALLAN PRICE

New in Town
thanks chaps,
the look i'm going for is 1940's wartime so would probably wear a waistcoat,just wondering on colour etc as i cannot get a matching material to go with it.

filfoster

One Too Many

Temperature and creature comfort aside, I share your feeling about the look of a vest with a DB suit. Less is more. I note that Johnny Depp gave this look a shot in the arm with 'Dillinger' though.

Chrome

One of the Regulars
In Finland you can use DB with a vest most of the time and in modern times you are allowed to take jacket of (if you even wear a suit). So it is nice to look dapper even without jacket.

Edward

Bartender
If buying a waistcoat to go with a suit of any sort, unless both are of the same bolt, always go for "complimentary" not "matching". Young Alan makes some great suggestions above - I would particularly suggest a mid grey or silver grey myself.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
You know Apparel Arts had an illustration of a gentleman in an Navy Blue/Gray Pinstripe Double Breasted worn with a black sweater vest. It is a very stylish look.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0198680009_186651571347872_922257_98738_n.jpg
It helps that the sweater vest has a different texture to the suit, as that adds to the contrast. A plain navy worsted suit worn with a plain black worsted waistcoat might have too little contrast, although that would depend on the exact shade of the navy.

Chrome

One of the Regulars
Marc, you are lucky to live in country where people actually wear double breasted suits, I haven't seen decent one in quite some time. Except looking to a mirror :eusa_doh:

I should get more vests thou.. burgundy would look good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou