Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here's an article that will shake you on several levels...

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I feel naked without a watch! :eek: I must know the time at all times!
Mostly because my boss is a jerk about it, so if I am 3 seconds late for work, I get docked for 15 minutes and I get in trouble to boot! :mad:
I wish it was not so,.....:( , that I did not have to be so obligated to an arbitrary number on a clock. :eusa_doh:

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I sometimes take out my cellphone to check the time. Next I look at my 35 year old wristwatch to see if it needs adjusting. Or winding. The cellphone then goes back into pocket and future time telling needs will be met by my Timex. My wristwatch makes a lovely ticking sound too...the cellphone is cold and effective,nothing more.

J

jp*81

I don't wear a watch either. I have small wrists too and they just move around, up and down my arm unless I get a metal one and take links out. I just don't like the way the metal watches look on me. I have a cell phone and I use that to check the time. It has a window on the front that shows the time, so I don't even have to touch the phone.

For me the cell phone is a convenience and the wrist watch would be more of a fashion accessory, if I was wearing one. I guess they do try to make the cell phone into a fashion accessory with all the rhinestones.

Doh!

One Too Many
I just had this discussion with friends of mine over beers last week: we're all over 30, and one of them doesn't wear a watch.

I asked him about it, and he said, "Why? I have a cell phone." So I said, "Yeah, but wouldn't you rather do this (I glanced at my wrist) than this (I dug my cell phone out of my pocket and flipped it open so it would light up, thereby allowing me to read the time)?"

My friend said, "No."

I've worn a watch since I could tell time. My wrist feels cold without one!

shamus

Suspended
As the article says
Last year, the number of people who bought watches not in the Rolex and Patek Philippe stratosphere dropped 12% from 2004
First, who buys watches that are not automatic? Granted a Rolex is just a brand name and Patek is just too much money... there are lots of better brands out there, but I just don't understand why anyone would chunk down 50 buck for a cheap watch. Save your money and buy a good watch.

You don't have to spend 3-5K for a great watch, pick up a nice used one for 3-8 hundred and it'll last your lifetime and you can pass it down to your kids...

No kid wants his grandfathers "Guess" watch....

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
mysterygal said:
I bet there's VERY few teens that can read a watch with hands... there are less and less of them out there...they're all digitalized now. With kids now being able to bring calculators to school, makes you wonder if they even know how to do simple addition in thier heads

I disagree only because as a (now ex-member as of March) former teenager, I was in elementary school during the early nineties (before cell phones hit big) and remembering learning and eventually mastering the face clock. I did prefer digital because it was easier to wrap my eight-year-old head around but have been proficiently reading watches (and returned to wearing one specifically because I didn't like the fact that I relied upon my cell phone so much a few years ago) for some time.

Now I'd take a bet or two for the generations coming up now with children's cell phones coming into play. If they can read face watches, I'll be amazed.

L_H

Story

I'll Lock Up
Guess the next article will be a lament about the Dick Tracy (TM) two-way wrist radio replacing the cell phone. :p

matei

One Too Many
shamus said:
First, who buys watches that are not automatic?

I do! :p
My fave watch is my Poljot Aviator (a Russian copy of the 3133 movement I think). It is big, bulky, heavy, glows like Cernobil and is manual.

It is funny you mentioned that bit about Guess watches. I know an arrogant guy who hasn't a clue, and he thinks his Guess timepiece is the be-all, end-all. He paid $80, come on now, "no cheap watches" for him.

He was discussing this with someone who is mad into high-end watches, who happened to be sporting a Patek Phillipe. "Yeah, ok - you have a Pathet-ique or whatever it is... but check out my Guess watch".

Fair play to the other guy - he wasn't bragging about his watches. He wears 'em 'cos he likes 'em. He just took Mr. Guess' ignorance in stride.

geo

"Yeah, ok - you have a Pathet-ique or whatever it is... but check out my Guess watch".
lol lol lol
Pathet-ique
lol lol lol
... check out my Guess watch...
lol lol lol

Naama

Practically Family
The inconvenience of strapping it on in the morning," said the 21-year-old student from Huntington Beach :eusa_doh: Is that really what a real human being said????

Well, I have to admit, I don't have no wristwatch as well, never had, because of my nickel allergie, when I was younger, it was somehow hard to find a watch so I never wore one, and today it feels too strange for me, I just can't get used to it..... But because it's too inconvenient????????????????????? Hello?

Naama

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I can tell you one profession where everyone wears a watch - broadcasting. That's my original gig, and in that biz, you can measure your work down to 10-15 second increments, so it's VERY important to know the time.

Of course, this doesn't necessarily apply to other professions.

As for quality, when I was a teenager (this was the 60's, remember) I used to buy cheapie $25-$50 watches. They'd run OK for about six months, then struggle for six months to a year, then die. When I was 21 my parents bought me a Tissot Seastar T12 diver's watch. It was a close-out in a jeweler's shop and cost $125 in 1971. I don't know what they translates into today, but I'm guessing $400 or more.

My local watchmaker maintains that Tissot is fully the equal of Rolex, Tag Heuer or other Swiss watch makers. My experience says he's right on.

Here's a shot of a watch absolutely identical to mine, with a non-original band:

TissotT12likemine.jpg

shamus

Suspended
matei said:
I do! :p
My fave watch is my Poljot Aviator (a Russian copy of the 3133 movement I think). It is big, bulky, heavy, glows like Cernobil and is manual.

It was late and I was tired when I wrote that, I should correct that to include some manual wind watches.

I'm anti-battery.

I prefer swiss, but sekio made a few good ones too. I'm not sure about the russian ones.

warbird

One Too Many
I can' stand to go out without a watch on.

I have several watches, all with hands, no digitals. Some are battery, some autos and some windup old watches. I really like old style watches and aviator watches.

I have noticed most teenagers and 20 somethings dont wear watches, but I have also noticed a lot of young folk who really like expensive watches and they collect them. They spend huge amounts on watches and say things like 'I'd never buy a watch under a $100.'

I was in a restaurant last year, in fact I think I was with Red Pop, Tommy, when a worker there said he liked my watch. He then showed me his, which he said set him back $1,000. Now this was an 18 or 19 year old kid, not making more than $7 or $8 an hour. Thats ridiculous on the other extreme.

On a side note, my 6 year old loves to wear her watch, which has hands, and yes she can tell you what time it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael