Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here's an article that will shake you on several levels...

Michaelson

One Too Many
Heck, I carry 100+ year old pocket watches on a daily basis, so that part didn't bother me as much as the statement (to paraphrase) "why bother? They're as useless as hats!":eusa_doh:

A DOUBLE whammy!:rolleyes:

Regards! Michaelson

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
If I'm going to check the time in public, I'd rather do it discreetly with something strapped to my wrist than by waving my (small and easily stolen) cellphone about.

Besides, what if turn my phone off?

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Michaelson said:

"Whatever..." Just bought a new watch a week ago, my first non-digital (after surveying prices on nice-condition original working WWII ones, realized I'd better start off with a new one lol )

MLB411197.jpg

Swing high,
- Cousin Hepcat

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
"The inconvenience of strapping it on in the morning," said the 21-year-old student from Huntington Beach, a pink bow tattooed on her right foot.

HA! That's hilarious. :eusa_doh: lol

You know, I find pulling my pants on in the morning highly inconvenient, therefore...

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I have two teenage daughters - this is old news. Almost none of their friends wear watches. However, my oldest daughter does since she works in a store where the employees are not allowed to carry cell phones while on duty. If not for that, she'd never own one.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
jake_fink said:
HA! That's hilarious. :eusa_doh: lol

You know, I find pulling my pants on in the morning highly inconvenient, therefore...

Well, someone had posted an article recently of the growing trend of kids going to school in their PJ's...

- Cousin Hepcat

That's great.

Highlights one of the reasons i do not, and never will, have a mobile phone.

It'd be interesting to see how many teens can read a watch with hands ... or understand a time given in 24 hour notation.

bk

p.s. I love the quote from the skateboarder: "Some people just buy watches to be cool. That's a dumb reason to buy a watch." It's no longer trendy, it seems, to whack out the mobile phone at the slightest provocation.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I wear a watch every day - normally one of the two Tissots I own. I also carry a cell phone from the time I walk out the door until mid-evening. There are days when the only time I get to return calls is when I'm walking between buildings on campus. (Not many, but some.)

Every such device is a tool. There is no inherently noble position in either using them or not using them. The inappropriate thing is mis-using them.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I bet there's VERY few teens that can read a watch with hands... there are less and less of them out there...they're all digitalized now. With kids now being able to bring calculators to school, makes you wonder if they even know how to do simple addition in thier heads

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But those being interviewed are in the late teen-early 20's crowd. And around an upscale shopping area in Huntington Beach, CA. That's a pretty limited viewpoint, and a lot things change between the time we're 18 and say 25. It might be the right demographic if you're a manufacturer of surfboards or T-shirts and volleyball shorts aimed at the teen market but I wouldn't want to go out on a limb and try to use that as proof of some nationwide trend. Sales of top-end watches are down, and kids don't like having to strap on a watch every morning...two separate issues. How are sales of lower-priced watches doing? Macy's has a large selection of wristwatches and there are always three or four people buying when I stroll through the store.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I don't wear a watch, partly for the reasons they talked about....i.e. I stare at a computer that tells me the time, I get into a car that tells me the time,etc.

The other major factor in my daily non watch wearing is that I use a keyboard -all- day most days, and my wrists are against a wrist rest, which when you wear a watch or any bracelets for that matter, tends to hurt after about 20 min.

I -like- watches, but they just don't seem practical for -my- daily life and things I do.

I do however wear a wristwatched based heart rate monitor when I work out......

RedPop4

One Too Many
I will raise your hopes a bit. My children's school teaches them to tell time with a mechanical/analog clock.

I like watches, but don't often wear one, as they tend to pull at my voluminous wrist hair, 1. Secondly, I stopped when I was playing music at Mass because a Mass shouldn't be a timed event like a football game or something. When it's done, it's done, and I didn't want to know or time the event.

Thirdly, most of my batteries died and I'm too lazy to take them to the mall to have replacements installed.

I DO wear a watch at football (soccer) practice so I can time drills and know when to stop so the little boys can go home at a reasonable hour.

D

Deleted member 259

I don't wear one. Never have. My wrists are itty bitty, and I don't like wearing anything on them.
I do check the time on my cell phone, but there is no need to whip it out and wave it around like many of you imply. It's not difficult to make a discreet time check by glancing in my purse, or just pulling my phone halfway out of my pocket.
Watches can be beautiful accessories, but for myself, it's extraneous. Why carry two objects that tell the time when one also serves a number of other functions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass