Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here's the Doc Oc hat...

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I saw that and wondered if it's authentic, it doesn't look anything like the one that Dalex posted a picture of. But your right it is definitely junk.

fedoralover

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
sm2_17005.jpg

1090322457336_1088322741429_SII_079.jpg

Thank God I belong to a few forums populated with people who know something about fedora's.

Havershaw is correct that someone is selling this fedora as the one in SM2, but I agree with Fedoralover that it isn't the same one. The one on E-Bay is indeed crap.

Dalexs

Practically Family
Oh, come on now... that thing is a work of art!
(ummm, not our Art...)

Authenticity is in the eye of the beholder!
And some poor schmuck (I hope it's no one here) is going to
go blind when he pays the winning bid of $450 + LOL

havershaw

Practically Family
Well, whether or not the hat is crappy, if someone believes it was actually on-screen in a film, then I guess it's worth it.

I believe that could be the hat. Didn't someone say they thought it was a cheap wool just from looking at the still? Every movie prop I've ever seen looked a lot different in person than it did in the film. Plus, it comes with all kinds of authenticity junk. I don't know; it seems like it could be the real one. I mean, they're also auctioning chunks of the Spidey costume, which, from what I heard, were very expensive suits and would seem to be very very difficult to reproduce. It's a pretty high-profile auction, and I would think it'd be hard to get away with having that high-profile of an auction (I accessed it from a button on the eBay welcome page) if the stuff were bogus. Just my $.02.

Dalexs

Practically Family
While I agree that felt color can dramatically change with lighting, the color of the ribbon would no way go frm the dark brown show in the movie to wha the hat on ebay is showing.

I'll be the first one to say it outright, I am positive that is not the hat worn by Doc Oc in that scene of the movie.

Is it possible he wore some other hats in the film? I'm not sure, I will have to go see it again.

BTW check out the guys feedback, a bunch of the 1048 positve reviews are big blocks of the same person, over and over again, created every couple of minutes. sounds suspicious to me.
(although I've never sold anything on ebay, that just doesn't sound right!)

Dalexs

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Movies are all about lighting. I'm sure a few of you if not many have seen props from well known films and television series, and while they look great on screen, they can look like absolute junk in person. What quickly springs to mind is the phasers from the Star Trek series, any generation thereof. They're incredibly cheaply made, with slathered on paint and flimsy decals.

I'll say this about Doc Ock's hat, the block looks to be identical, if not the color and quality. The auction does mention that a number of hats were used in filming...

IndyBlues

New in Town
It doesn't look like the screen used hat to me at all. The brim edge looks a heck of alot thicker on the auction piece, than the one used in the film, and I think that it is absurd they would use a molded hat without a liner.

BUT......

If you click on the guys other auctions, he has some pretty cool stuff there, that appears to be the real McCoy.
So who's to say the hat is bogus???

havershaw

Practically Family
You could compare the trenchcoat in RF's movie still to the one pictured in the auction, and see how the lighting changes the color of that.

I think the block is identical also, and it looks like the auction photo is super blown-out to show detail. But it could be a stunt double hat...or, I mean, who's to say that the one in the film looks more like the auction hat, and the one in the still is something else he grabbed at the last second, prior to doing some publicity stills?

I can't believe we care.

farnham54

A-List Customer
I'm going to throw my hat in here on the Spidey Suits.

A few years ago, after SM1 came out, I decided Spidey would be a sweet haloween costume. So I teamed up with a seamstress and we spent months with movie stills making one out of Lycra (i say lycra because calling it "spandex" just makes me look like a fairy).

The finished product was a work of art--but it didn't look anything like the film. The Hero versions of the costume were made from latex. In SM 2, the costume was made from a custom printed lycra with a plastic overlay for the webbing. They probobly did this in SM1 as well, but I don't have any facts to back that up.

So, in short, if someone is claiming to be selling something that is MOVIE authentic, then it should be fairly easy to tell. At least that is what I thought until this blasted hat came along!! :D

Watch your pennies, gents. "Screen Used" is a very useful catch phrase to throw on an auction (not that I need to tell any of you this) to add an extra couple of hundred dollars to the value of something. And anyone with a printer can make a very "Authentic" looking certificate of Authenticity.

Regards,

Craig

havershaw

Practically Family
Good points on the Spidey suit.

RF, you're right, of course. You could start a whole separate forum topic just to bash those who claim their hat for auction is "identical to the hat Harrison Ford wears in Raiders!" - a statement which has been applied to decidedly ridiculous hats.

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by farnham54
A few years ago, after SM1 came out, I decided Spidey would be a sweet haloween costume. So I teamed up with a seamstress and we spent months with movie stills making one out of Lycra (i say lycra because calling it "spandex" just makes me look like a fairy).

Pictures! We want pictures! :D

David

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I can't believe we care.

I'm glad that you guys do! I'm getting a fantastic education here.

I'm ashamed to admit that I own just as many wool hats as I do felt hats(4 of each). I discovered just how chintzy wool hats were when I bought my '30s vintage Knox. No way am I ever buying another wool hat again.

Plus side, I've got a family fedora that must date back to the 1920s, it's either silk or VERY fine felt. It's got a great soft fuzzy finish(not sure what the proper term for it is, it's similar to vintage top hats that I've seen) It's too big for me, so if I ever get down to Art's, I'm going to have it freshened up. I'll present it back to my uncle, who let me have it in the first place.

Originally posted by The Wingnut
I'm glad that you guys do! I'm getting a fantastic education here.

I'm ashamed to admit that I own just as many wool hats as I do felt hats(4 of each). I discovered just how chintzy wool hats were when I bought my '30s vintage Knox. No way am I ever buying another wool hat again.

Plus side, I've got a family fedora that must date back to the 1920s, it's either silk or VERY fine felt. It's got a great soft fuzzy finish(not sure what the proper term for it is, it's similar to vintage top hats that I've seen) It's too big for me, so if I ever get down to Art's, I'm going to have it freshened up. I'll present it back to my uncle, who let me have it in the first place.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I have a wool hat lying around the house somewhere as well. ;)
I am sure your Uncle will be happy with the hat after you have it restored. That is a good idea for our relatives that grew up around the time when everyone wore hats. Steal the hat and get it made like new. :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

havershaw

Practically Family
Just got back from seeing Spidey 2 again. Unless that auction photo was grossly bleached out in PhotoShop, I heavily doubt it could be the hat in the movie. It's unquestionably a dark, dark brownish grey in the film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael