Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey LizzieMaine/Got any old Corning Pyrex? 25 years?

Idledame

Practically Family
I think range meant oven, as opposed to range-top. I was just looking for new pyrex/corningware to replace ones I've dropped over the years and to get rid of all the plastic pieces I've got. I really hate serving or eating from plastic. So now I guess I'd be better off getting them from thrift shops. I think I could go by the designs I grew up with. Plus it would be much cheaper. By the way, one of my small Corningware square casseroles actually came with a detachable 6" handle, that I assume was for stovetop use, but I've never tried it.

Doctor Mabuse

New in Town
Some of the best designs are sadly no longer made. Thankfully we were able to score an entire collection of "Crazy Daisy" plates and casseroles from the local Salvation Army. "Spice of Life" was another great pattern that can only be found second-hand now.

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Careful, chipping weakens the stuff, & no vintage nukes

My mom's beloved 1958 Pyrex rectangular baking dish--we called it the "lasagne pan"--now lives under my kitchen sink holding potentially leaky cleaning supplies, because it has a small chip.

We retired it because another piece of the same vintage suddenly made a sharp "plink" sound and broke in half, depositing its contents all over the kitchen table. Chicken enchilladas here, too...must be some industrial strength chilies out there! :eek:

Upon closer inspection, I found a small chip under the rim, which I believe was the culprit. Having seen Mom break a lid on a damp kitchen counter, and having experienced for myself the cold room in January / hot liquid phenomenon with a cup of tea, I'd learned to avoid extremes.

Also, for those who don't know, never microwave in pre-microwave era Pyrex, Fire King, etc.. Vintage glass sometimes contains invisible irregularities or tiny bubbles which can be prone to explosion, as my sister found out with a vintage custard cup. No injuries, but it damaged the ceiling of the microwave and made Thanksgiving meal prep even more of an event.

Let's face it, we glass collectors live dangerously (especially those of us in earthquake country). ;-)

Idledame

Practically Family
However long microwave ovens have been around (the 80s?), that's how long I've been using my pyrex/ corningware in the microwave. I haven't had a problem yet. But it's good to know what could happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot