Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High $ Vintage Hercules

Peacoat

Bartender
What a great jacket. I think they originally sold for something like 3 or 4 dollars. This guy is over 70 years old and still in great shape. He ought to bring the big bucks.

J

john z

Beautiful jacket IMO but surprised it went to such a high price considering the small size, 34-36".

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
john z said:
Beautiful jacket IMO but surprised it went to such a high price considering the small size, 34-36".

Perfect size for a japanese buyer. Typically, they are known to pay top dollar. Apprently, on top of the fifties enthusiasm, thirties and twenties work wear and motorcycle wear are the latest top dollar thing there.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
truth reveaLed

actually, i came across this story in the brit press, which seems to explain things:

"[WORLDPRESS]--Rumours were bolstered that a cloned Elvis Presley, extrapolated from dried saliva of the King of Rock and Roll on a stick of Wrigley's gum, will be alive and outfitted one year late for a true ELVIS Comeback Special.
An anonymous winning bidder on Ebay, the online auction website, has been identified as a worker at a secret Tokyo lab who bought a vintage leather jacket that is the correct look and size to outfit a reputed three-quarters life-size cloned Elvis Presley that the alleged Tokyo lab has supposedly cloned.
The lab, through their worker, paid $1469 for the jacket. Not an exact replica of the ELVIS 1968 Comeback Special jacket, worn by Elvis, and in fact a precursor by some 30 years to that jacket, the vintage 30s-40s Hercules black Horsehide accoutrement had the look and the fit for their reputedly 100 percent accurate, albeit smaller, Elvis.
"He will look very fabulous. He has vague memory of last special, and looking much forward to performing again. Only difference is, he smaller now, than then," an unidentified spokesman for the lab told a British tabloid off the record Tuesday.
The new Elvis, and the record-selling leather jacket, are slated to perform in Las Vegas later this year. This would be one year later than the lab had hoped. They had wanted to hold a second "Comeback Special" on the 40th anniversary of the 1968 Comeback Special. "This be a real Comeback," the spokesman for the lab said. "We sad it come one year late. But better come, than not come at all. Elvis himself say that," the spokesman said.
Rumours that the Jordanaires have as well been cloned are untrue, the lab sadly admits."

i think that pretty much explains the high price jacket saLe...wild, huh?

jac

Familiar Face
a-HA!

Thank you for the illumination JohnnyJohnny, suddenly it all makes sense!

...now if they can only keep him away from the fried banana & peanut butter sandwiches....

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
such a strange wOrld!

thanks jac, i'm glad i could help.

by the way, i do love 'a-HA!' very much (which you referenced in your subject line).

i took it upon myself, being a former journalist, to call the Tokyo lab involved in this bizarre Elvis and jacket thing, and ask them if they have any plans dealing with a-HA...happy to report precisely what i was told:

"You stinkin' jacket creeps keep calling us! knock it off! we doing important work. we got Elvis to stop shooting .357, and stop with fried little debbie cakes. he already gain 30 pound. he may do vegas as Elvi '76, not '68 Comeback if we don't fix him...so let us do work. no longer bother us with stupid question. and no, we not clone a-ha. they still alive in norway. go bother them (CLiCK!)"

as you can see jac, this is a touchy subject, and one i think i'll steer clear of from now on. but i'm glad i could clear up that elvis thing, and now your a-HA! inquiry.

by the way, i'm still trying to sell a uscg coast guard issue 46 Long g-1, if anyone out there is interested. near mint, and definitely too big for Elvis...unless he doesn't leave the little debbie cakes along

peace, and love

jac

Familiar Face
There IS life beyond Weekly World News!

Thanks for making that call, it takes guts.
They have a reputation for being touchy and yes, savage!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
and in much worse condition, too.

Although that is the nicest Langlitz I've ever seen,
I still don't get the Langlitz allure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21