Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood brim- whats a good one?

bennyboyca

New in Town
Can anyone post a picture of the shape of a fedora with a good classic Hollywood brim?

Also, whats the difference between a fedora with a Hollywood brim and an Indiana Jones brim?

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Depp's grey fedora has a Hollywood brim. In fact, there's a whole thread on the Hollywood brim.

The Indiana Jones hat is simply a snap brim pulled down in front and flanged to give a nice shape in the back. The thing about the Indy hats, which your Fed IV shares, is what's called a dimensional cut brim. Which is to say it's longer on the front and back (in this case, 2 3/4") than it is on the sides (2 1/2").

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Technically, I dont know if 'Indy hats,' or the Fed IV in particular, is a 'snap-brim.' I have some fedoras that are snap-brims, and the brims on them truly do snap up and down. The edge is bound, and pulled just tight enough to force the brim into either an up or down position, hence the snap.

If all fedoras, bound and/or snappy brims or not, are called 'snap-brims,' then I take it all back.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I wouldn't say this is a good one but it's a Hollywood brim-
Mike
870a3039.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To be honest, it doesn't really matter. The FedIV has a nearly flat brim with no edge binding. This will make it difficult to give the brim the Hollywood treatment, and even harder to maintain it.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
The hat in the pic I posted doesn't have edge binding, but it does have a cav edge. It's relatively snappy and just seemed to want to be in this shape so I went with it.

Neophyte

The cav edge will have the same effect as edge binding. Binding adds tension to the brim, which aids in shape retention. Nice hat BTW, Rodkins.

I have tried adding a Hollywood treatment to my raw edge hats (Akubra Lightning Ridge, FedIV, Sydney, and modified Squatter), and it just didn't stick. It DOES stick on my bound hats (Campdrafts, Moorelite, and Buckaroo western).

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I like the Richards/Depp scruffy Hollywood brim thingy.

Here's my Borsalino (poor cellphone pic, but you can see the idea)

1202003147_WUXoo-L.jpg

I think yours looks quite sharp and natural, Rodkins.

I do agree with Neo, the bound brims and the Cavanagh edges are best to maintain that upturn for the Hollywood look.

The Fed IV can be worn with the brim more flat, or slightly upturned, but you can't get the front shape that you can with a bound brim hat.

Johnny Depp's Hollywoods are bound brims.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
so-- could this be conceived as something like a cup and snap that's tilted somewhere between 45 and 90 degrees counterclockwise from the crown?

fmw

One Too Many
The cav edge will have the same effect as edge binding. Binding adds tension to the brim, which aids in shape retention. Nice hat BTW, Rodkins.

I have tried adding a Hollywood treatment to my raw edge hats (Akubra Lightning Ridge, FedIV, Sydney, and modified Squatter), and it just didn't stick. It DOES stick on my bound hats (Campdrafts, Moorelite, and Buckaroo western).

Good heavens. You've been doing some hat acquisition lately, haven't you? I thought I was doing pretty well with only three Akubras.

Neophyte

Good heavens. You've been doing some hat acquisition lately, haven't you? I thought I was doing pretty well with only three Akubras.

Actually, most of that was last summer and fall, when I was just getting in to wearing hats. A lot of those were bad decisions and are now beaters (all my Akubras except the Campdraft, actually). If you've got three Akubras you like and wear, you are doing better than I.

Also, :arated: to Yeps being the Hollywood brim master!

Last edited:

danofarlington

Depp's grey fedora has a Hollywood brim. In fact, there's a whole thread on the Hollywood brim.

The Indiana Jones hat is simply a snap brim pulled down in front and flanged to give a nice shape in the back. The thing about the Indy hats, which your Fed IV shares, is what's called a dimensional cut brim. Which is to say it's longer on the front and back (in this case, 2 3/4") than it is on the sides (2 1/2").

Among the best examples I've seen is your own Open Road shaped in a Hollywood brim style, out in the wilderness somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany