Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horsehide beltless motorcycle jacket

rossowheels

New in Town
I am looking to acquire a horsehide beltless motorcycle jacket and found the following on eBay and was wondering whether anyone could identify the maker?

Novos

One of the Regulars
I'd be careful with auctions claiming "horsehide" on ebay, most sellers just slap it on because they don't care if their listing is false, only $$$. The above doesn't really look horsehide, but I'm no expert. I would tread carefully, unless there is a legit tag somewhere on the jacket claiming horse.

Are there any makers on the zips, that might narrow down era of the jacket.

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Im in the same boat. Saw a great old schott beltless like the current 125. Advertised as hh sent the seriel number to Gail at Schott, it was steer and alot newer than the advertised 30 year old jacket....

strokes1251

Practically Family
Looks like one of those jackets someone picks from a swapmeet and assumes its horsehide. I hope you didnt win it because for me a sign that its usually not made of Horsehide is anything with YYK zippers. Also near the end of his description "looks like handmade in USA" yup would've stayed the hell away from this. Just my 2 cents.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Im not sure about the hh. Having said that....its looks like a cool jacket, and at that price? Go for it...wear it for a while, if you decide you dont want it, sell it! You cant lose much at that price....

Novos

One of the Regulars
I think it sold for too much. A jacket with no markings, cheap looking zips, should be sub $100 for sure. This jacket is probably from the late 80s-90s taking into account the YKKs, because earlier YKKs have a very distinct look (almost 60s Talon-esque).

Look for Branded Garments leather jackets, they have a similar style I believe, generally have quite heavy cow hide, made in USA, and are an easy pick up in the sub $100 range. If I see a listing with horsehide and no markings to that effect, I bid as though it isn't...because chances are the seller is just being misleading.

strokes1251

Practically Family
I think it sold for too much. A jacket with no markings, cheap looking zips, should be sub $100 for sure. This jacket is probably from the late 80s-90s taking into account the YKKs, because earlier YKKs have a very distinct look (almost 60s Talon-esque).

Look for Branded Garments leather jackets, they have a similar style I believe, generally have quite heavy cow hide, made in USA, and are an easy pick up in the sub $100 range. If I see a listing with horsehide and no markings to that effect, I bid as though it isn't...because chances are the seller is just being misleading.

Yes thats the brand I was thinking of Branded Garments. Looks just like something from them.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab

apologies....I looked at the postage cost, and thought that was the purchase price!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic