Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how authentic is the SCHOTT naval peacoat?

green papaya

One Too Many
I bought a heavy peacoat US 740N made by Schott , NYC and I was wondering how authentic they make they're peacoats? did they ever make peacoats for the US NAVY?

did the classic peacoats made during the 40's have a vented back opening? at the bottom

bg740schnavy.jpg

green papaya

One Too Many
boomerchop said:
Typical peacoat I'm familiar with from my Navy days only has three pairs of buttons down the front, rather than the four shown in the picture.

0815navycoat02.jpg

0815navycoat03.jpg

I found this photo of a WWII era navy pea coat and it has four rows of buttons, I think the post WWII pea coats have 3 sets of buttons

the WWII peacoat also has a center vent in the back

green papaya

One Too Many
WWI sailors wearing early pea coats circa 1917 - 1918

tunis-ww1buddies.jpg

here is a World War One era photo of three sailors wearing pea coats
but I cant tell if they have 3 rows of buttons or four?

they're are also two buttons right under the collar, as seen in the photo, they have the coat fully buttoned up :cool:

my pea coat has five rows total = 10 buttons

green papaya

One Too Many
Steve McQueen wearing a us naval pea coat

jake_courier.jpg

here is a photo of Steve McQueen from the movie "The Sand Pebbles" the story is about the us navy back in 1926 Shanghai , China

he appears to be wearing a heavy early style of pea coat? I noticed his coat has two flap lower hand pockets? they probablly made different variations of the pea coat over the years.

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
I can't see the flaps, but judging by the spacing of the buttons I can see, it might be like your four button pair coat (not counting the 2 buttons at the very top).

green papaya

One Too Many
boomerchop said:
I can't see the flaps, but judging by the spacing of the buttons I can see, it might be like your four button pair coat (not counting the 2 buttons at the very top).

the pocket flaps dont show in this photo, I could see it when I was watching the movie.

green papaya

One Too Many
drizzlyday said:
was the old peacoat black or blue??

the old peacoat was a dark "Kersey blue" similiar to dark blue ink

I bought the Schott naval pea coat at Burlington coat factory for $119.00

I also bought a un-issued military pea coat off EBAY for much less
around $60

they both look black, the military coat looks slightly blue?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
green papaya said:
tunis-ww1buddies.jpg

here is a World War One era photo of three sailors wearing pea coats
but I cant tell if they have 3 rows of buttons or four?

they're are also two buttons right under the collar, as seen in the photo, they have the coat fully buttoned up :cool:

my pea coat has five rows total = 10 buttons

Those buttons are so large you can use them to serve dessert.

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Navy blue (black)

The Navy blue used in uniforms today (or at least thru the mid 90's) is black. When I compare my father's WWII dress blues, which were Navy blue, with my own dress blues, which are black, you can clearly see the difference. This changed sometime after the war, probably due to the difficulty matching blues. The Navy has seemingly always been less strict about standardized fabrics than the other services.
Paul

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
If you are looking for a ?¢‚Ǩ?ìnon-authentic?¢‚Ǩ? Pea Coat, try a store called Steve and Barry?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s University Sportswear. They have a close enough pea coat for $9.98 (brand new).
I bought one last week. The coat is lighter weight then some pea coats but for $9.98 you can?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t beat it.
Just FYI.
Regards,

Forrestal

jake431

Practically Family
I am looking for 4 button (well 5 if you button it all the way up like the picture of the WW1 dudes) pea coat. What are my options besides getting lucky on ebay?

-Jake

Jay

Practically Family
Damn. I just spent 20 minutes looking for the picture of the peacoats with the huge buttons and it's gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy