Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How cold can you still ride a motorcycle in a Schott 740N peacoat?

SlowRain

New in Town
Thanks! I'm reluctant to go with waxed cotton because I've read there's a smell. I'm not sure what that particular style in that picture is called, but that's definitely not me. It's too much of a motorcycle vibe for what I'm looking for. Maybe picture the sharpness/smartness/classiness of a peacoat (but not a peacoat), then factor in something with wind resistance. That's the vibe I'm going for. Almost anything purposely designed for motorcycle riding or styled as such is kind of not my thing. Also, just poking around Belstaff's website makes me think they're likely out of my price range.

barnabus

One Too Many
You do already ride?

If you don't care about protection, and you don't want leather or anything that looks motorcycle-y, just wear whatever you like the look of.

Just avoid anything that buttons up because it will be awful. The wind will blow right through it. Do you wear a helmet? The collar of a peacoat will flap against your helmet at riding speeds and drive you absolutely mental.

Tim S

New in Town
I'd get something with enough room to layer. The outer shell should be made of something that blocks the wind while the inner provides warmth. I've had good luck with leather or duck canvas and a sweater. I would recommend against a peacoat. I've done that before and it is uncomfortable and too bulky.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The Schott coat is a single vent, double vent will in theory work better, like horse riding blazer jackets.

I’ve been on those Sang Yang 125s, just a helmet will do. Taiwan doesn’t get very cold. 10 Celsius is considered cold snap there. But along the coastal highway it does get chilly, but you’d need a bigger bike and proper gear to get on anyways. In the city anything is fine, just helmet or you’d get a ticket.

I would suggest Crombie but they’re outta business now. Maybe the Japanese brands, they’re readily available there.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
(edited for typos and clarity :))

https://www.vktremotoco.com/the-draugr-motorcycle-coat/

Behold! A motorcycle specific Peacoat! Wool blend keeps you warm in the winter and cool in the summer (how does it KNOW?) Fully lined with 1000D cordura, with pockest for D30 armor should you so desire!

8E828060-372D-4D7A-9170-10A6EFC6A8A2.png

All yours for the low low cost of 895.00 US Dollars (shipping not included)

I myself wouldn't ride in a wool coat, but if I decided I wanted to here's how I'd go about doing it.

Step one, procure a US Navy 1960s Kersey wool Peacoat. I wouldn't trust a modern coat to block the wind like you'd want anriding coat to, but that Kersey is good stuff.

Step two, (and this is what I would do, if you're comfy zipping around town without crash protection, feel free to skip this step) procure an armored shirt with abrasion protection. A Vanson ventmax is what I use under non-motorcycle coats while on a motorcycle. It's a 1000D mesh shirt with leather and armore at the shoulders and elbows plus a back pad. Toss that on and you're good to go.

Step 3, bring the Peacoat to a tailor and have them make a couple alterations. 1) taper the sleeves down enough so you can fit gauntlet gloves over the top. You'll want to keep the wind (and stinging bugs, and flicked cigarette butts) out of your sleeves. 2) install snaps or buttons on the shoulders and collar, to keep it from flapping up into your face. 3) re-sew all the front buttons on with bonded nylon thread to anchor buttons inside the coat. They likely wont hold in a get off, but they won't get ripped off by the wind either. You can also adjust the fit a little with button placement, and I would have them located to work best while seated on the bike.

Last edited:

Liveinstyle33

One of the Regulars
I just realized you where talking about the regular Wool peacoat, i thought you where at least talking about the leather one!
IMO riding in a wool coat is the worst idea one can have...
You are absolutely right, but just to say, out of my own amusement, although it is a serious matter, this is how many people dress while riding a MC where I live, although the feet up on the handles is not common. The riders who wear proper armor are in the minority. This dude is trying out for a gore website.

Mutilation:Death Wish.png

SlowRain

New in Town
https://www.vktremotoco.com/the-draugr-motorcycle-coat/

Behold! A motorcycle specific Peacoat! Wool blend keeps ypu warm in the winter and cool in the summer (how does it KNOW?) Fully lined with 1000D cordura, with pockest for D30 armor should you so desire!
[...]
That's a nice-looking coat and pretty close to what I'm after. It seems to be cheaper from retailers, but I suspect the safety features and the work to incorporate them are putting it over budget for me.

The picture that Liveinstyle33 posted just above is closer to how people here dress (+ a helmet) when chasing around the city in the summer on their little 100-150cc motorcycles and scooters. Everyone gets armored up when driving on the highways with their heavy motorcycles, though.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
That's a nice-looking coat and pretty close to what I'm after. It seems to be cheaper from retailers, but I suspect the safety features and the work to incorporate them are putting it over budget for me.

The picture that Liveinstyle33 posted just above is closer to how people here dress (+ a helmet) when chasing around the city in the summer on their little 100-150cc motorcycles and scooters. Everyone gets armored up when driving on the highways with their heavy motorcycles, though.

There is a reason why 60% of road deaths in Taiwan are motorcycles/two wheels... (compared to 20% in the Uk for example)

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
The Schott Peacoat is a very warm peacoat. 32 oz wool plus a quilted lining will bring you through any non-arctic winter. My brother owns one and he only brings it out at sub 0°C, not much layering required until -10°C. Is it warm enough to wear on a motorcycle in a warm country‘s winter for short trips? As a non-biker, it‘s a bit of a guess but I suspect yes, absolutely.

However I agree with the rest of the people here, despite your countries customs and with your best interest at heart, I would recommend not doing do. If you do, atleast wear some armored biking shirt underneath.

hardlyworkingman

Familiar Face
Hi! This is my first post here. I'm looking for a little bit nicer, cool-weather coat for weekend wear. My style mostly tends to be along the heritage line (a bit of work wear or Western wear, too). The thing is I'm an expat in Taiwan, which means I have less access to all the brands you do. Another thing to note is that everyone rides scooters and motorcycles here.

I already have a parka for work and really cool days. I'm wondering if a Schott 740N would be okay for cool days on a motorcycle. It's 32oz, 80% wool, and it has a quilted nylon lining. For those of you who own one and who ride a motorcycle, what's the coldest temperature you'd still ride in with that coat? Barring that, what else is a little nicer-looking coat (not leather, though) for really cool days and which can handle the wind of riding on a motorcycle, and which isn't any more expensive than this peacoat? Maybe a Gloverall mid-length duffle coat? Something else?

Thanks!

You will be totally fine.

To strictly answer to your question, I rode in India for many years, I used to wear much thinner wool jackets than Schott 740N with other layers in the temp ranges and speed you have mentioned. I was totally fine. Large amount of people there don't care much for safety.

That said, personally, I don't ride enjoy riding street any more and stick to race tracks. I wear 1 piece leather suit on track. But back in the days when I rode street (stateside), I either wore full leathers or a proper Dainese leather motorcycle jacket/pants. They saved my ass many times. I will NOT ride without leathers and proper gear.

Video Ref in of the cities I used to drive. Looks like it hasn't changed much

Last edited:

SlowRain

New in Town
There is a reason why 60% of road deaths in Taiwan are motorcycles/two wheels... (compared to 20% in the Uk for example)
Don't do this. That's not what this thread is about, and you know it. However, if you genuinely are interested in discussing the topic of road safety in Asia outside of this particular thread, you are of course free to do so.

hardlyworkingman

Familiar Face
I may have written off waxed jackets too soon. Can someone tell me how wind-resistant Filson's Tin Cloth is, and how sticky and smelly the wax effect is?

I have Filson Tin cloth Field jacket, Filson Oil finish double tin pants that I use for logging, Filson Double Hunting Pants and few other waxed filson gear.

My experience with filson tin cloth gear that I own, when temperature rises, that wax smell bleeds into clothes and have a strong smell. I dont mind it during logging but for Hunting, if it is warm out, I dont bother touching. Works great when it is cold (with layers) and/rainy outside.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Filson makes their own line of riding gear, the Alcan collection (Alsaka/Canada). I've heard their tincloth chore coats have short sleeves, but I've never had one in hand myself.

I bought a used Barbor A7 International that should show up in my mailbox any day now. I can let you know if it's smelly! I already have a pair of Drizabone waxed overtrousers, and a Vanson Dover waxed jacket, and neither of them smell or are sticky. It depends on the wax used.

Most use parrafin or mineral wax, it's a petrol chemical, so it's cheapest. It melts at different temps but the lowest is 115f 46c. Beeswax melts at 145f 62c so it's more stable in the summer, and smells nice, but more expensive and can be stiffer in colder temps.

I like to mix lanolin with bees wax to keep it more plyable, but I'll use sno-seal in a pinch for rewaxing. It's a beeswax with petrol chemicals mixed in to keep it soft and spreadable, they evaporate out of the wax after it's applied leaving just the wax behind . You use heat from a hair dryer to melt it, I carefully CAREFULLY use a heat gun on a low setting, (keep the heat moving around!).

I like waxed cotton a lot, understanding it can't be washed, needs to be rewaxed annually (at minimum) it needs to be dried completely before storing. If you store it wet, it can grow mold. You brush and hose it down with COLD water to clean it, and hang it for a day or two to dry. It's really not a huge task, it's about the same as maintaining a leather jacket. Mostly you just wear it and the more you beat on it the better it looks.

I did a quick search for "double breasted waxed coat" to try for a peacoat vibe and this came back,

https://poor-boy.co.uk/product/vintage-khaki-double-breasted-wax-cotton-jacket-barbour/

Attachments

• 03DBC91E-FC85-41DB-9993-F78FBB9CB601.jpeg
    03DBC91E-FC85-41DB-9993-F78FBB9CB601.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

barnabus

One Too Many
I have ridden many times in my Barbour International waxed cotton jacket. I wear an armoured shirt underneath it when I ride, but I understand that's irrelevant for this thread.

The Barbour is however, windproof, rainproof, snugs up the fit with belt and adjustable cuffs, and does not smell bad. It's comfortable and lightweight and it looks dead cool (imo) on the right bike.

What it isn't, is warm.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is it warm enough to wear on a motorcycle in a warm country‘s winter for short trips? As a non-biker, it‘s a bit of a guess but I suspect yes, absolutely.
Only as long as the wind does not find a way inside. When that happens, it gets chilly, no matter how thick the jacket is.
A Peacoat is too long to sit on the bike. I.e. the jacket will compress and thus the holes between the buttons will get bigger. I'm pretty sure the wind will whistle through then.
Or you do not button the jacket at the bottom. Then it compresses maybe less, but then the cold comes in from below.
If you absolutely want and prefer style to warmth, you can do that. Whether it's smart?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have no idea where this "waxed cotton is smelly" thing came from. Yeah, maybe if you had a wet jacket and threw it into a pile to dry off–which would cause any jacket to be mildewy.

I've owned waxed Barbours since I was a teenager, have some waxed cotton accessories from other makes, all without issue. From the way it's being discussed you'd think it was Five Star's smelly goatskin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko