Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How deep is your style?

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wild Root said:
Yeah, when I wear my 40's-50's casual stuff and get a reply like that I say:

You call those clothes? lol And no, I don't have a dollar! lol lol lol

=WR=

Oh man! That's a killer diller! I gotta remember that one! :D

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Yeah, when I wear my 40's-50's casual stuff and get a reply like that I say:

You call those clothes? And no, I don't have a dollar!

If I ever gave a reply like that, I'd most certainly end up with a black eye!

I simply hate it when the local "men" dress like they were at the beach. To that add the "bead-head" doos and doofus looks on their faces, and they look like a bunch of no-good bums. The dames around me, on the other hand, have some class and some even wear skirts and a little makeup.

As for me, I don't own a piece of vintage clothing (yet), but I do wear new clothes that look "period-correct" every day (this period being the 30's and 40's). I would never wear anything of modern appearance, even if forced to do so.

Tin Pan Sally

You weren't the only one

Miss Neecerie said:
Who can't help but hum the BeeGee's 'How Deep is Your Love' every time I see this thread title?
...I really need to know, cuz we're living in a world of fools, breaking us down, when they all should let us be, we belong to you and me...

Tin Pan Sally

I haven't seen the Teletubbie farewells. That show wasn't invented until my son was too old for that sort of thing, thankfully.
-unusual things about me: #11) I'm frightened by the disturbing Teletubbies

decodoll

Practically Family
The Diva Pinup! said:
This has been an interesting thread to read. Yes I "dress" all the time. 99 % of the time anyway. Once and a while you'll find me in a t shirt but it's usually on the way to sleep!

Suzanne

Hi Suzi!! I'm so happy to see you here! :)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Marc Chevalier said:
"Pardon me, porter -- is this the train to coastal Maine ... and sunny Arizona?"

IMG_2778-vi.jpg

Hahahahahah... To Niagara in a sleeper, no honeymoon is cheaper and the train goes slow.. ooooh, ooooh, oooh, of we’re going to shuffle, shuffle off to Buffalo!

That side of the Derby does look like the sleeping births in an old Pullman car! The carpet does too!

Classic!

=WR=

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

I used to go to the Tiki Ti, a bar in Los Feliz that's not much larger than a tool shed. It's been around since the early '60s ... and since the owner is also the bartender, you can smoke in there. (That's a little loophole in California's anti-smoking law, by the way.)

The "Tiki Ti" is eccentric, even by tiki lounge standards. For one thing, the owner allows no displays of physical affection: not even hand-holding. Also, the bar's back wall is strewn with license plates from Pacific island nations. I gave the owner a very rare license plate from the island of Palau, and he gave me a drink in return. To collectors, that license plate is worth hundreds of dollars The owner's smile was worth every penny.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Is that place still there? I used to go to the little French Cafe and the Los Feliz theatre when I was in school in LA. One of my favorite little neighbourhoods.

And I'm SO playing that song at my wedding. Always gets stuck in my head for an entire day when I hear it. Drat!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Wild Root said:
Hahahahahah... To Niagara in a sleeper, no honeymoon is cheaper and the train goes slow.. ooooh, ooooh, oooh, of we’re going to shuffle, shuffle off to Buffalo!

That side of the Derby does look like the sleeping births in an old Pullman car! The carpet does too!

Classic!

=WR=

No more 42nd Street for you Wild!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Tin Pan Sally said:
Some friends of mine used to live close to Tiki Ti. They walked me over there to meet one of their band mates. It was wild. One guy dropped his pants and strolled around nekkid all night.

See... that's why I don't hang out with the Tiki seen so often nowadays... people tell all my stories on the net then I get a bad rep.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Lauren Henline said:
Is that place still there? I used to go to the little French Cafe and the Los Feliz theatre when I was in school in L.A.
The "Tiki Ti" is still there and it's way overcrowded.

There are two French cafes, but the coolest-looking one is the FIGARO CAFE. The owner, A rich Frenchman, imported all of the late 19th/early 20th century furnishings from France -- even the antique painted ceiling was imported. It looks more authentically "Belle Epoque" than the real cafes in Paris do.

On Valentine's Day, I surreptitiously drank absinthe there, complete with sugarcubes and an absinthe spoon. (The staff didn't realize what it was!) No place could be more appropriate for drinking "the green demon".

Tin Pan Sally

Matt Deckard said:
See... that's why I don't hang out with the Tiki seen so often nowadays... people tell all my stories on the net then I get a bad rep.
OooOooh, so it was YOU. The guy wasn't completely nude, just Porky Pig naked, and no one batted an eye. I'm sure I was the only one who blushed.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Marc Chevalier said:
There are two French cafes, but the coolest-looking one is the FIGARO CAFE. The owner, A rich Frenchman, imported all of the late 19th/early 20th century furnishings from France -- even the antique painted ceiling was imported. It looks more authentically "Belle Epoque" than the real cafes in Paris do.

That's the one. Love that place. Only place I'm seen in the US that makes me truly feel like I'm in France. And agreed, it is more "Belle Epoque" than many cafe's in France... but not in Nancy.

I'm higly influenced by French attitudes in dressing and buy mostly clothing made of natural or natural synthetics (like rayon). This causes me to be mistaken for a European when I travel. In new clothing I only buy those that will be in style for at least a few years, unless it is remarkably low on clearance or it's a t-shirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24