Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How deep is your style?

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
How deep is your style?

Wasn't there a 1970s song called like that?

How deep is your style LOL ....

(sorry but when I hear how deep i think Bee Gees)

[video=youtube;XpqqjU7u5Yc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpqqjU7u5Yc[/video]

Oh my God, I was just going to reference this. I am going to catch a lot of flack for this here, but Tom = Bee Gees fan....

How deep is your style?

Wasn't there a 1970s song called like that?

How deep is your style LOL ....

(sorry but when I hear how deep i think Bee Gees)

[video=youtube;XpqqjU7u5Yc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpqqjU7u5Yc[/video]

Lillemor

One Too Many
My parents are pretty typical baby boomers who idealize the 70s but only my mother truly seems to loathe the 50s. My dad's becoming more nostalgic after my realized interest in the 50s that's actually always been there.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Well, Tom, this have already a good side. When a lot of people don't like vintage things, they sell or throw away. That's when we have chance to pickup all!!! I got all my 78s records in this way.

Just became sad about those records destructed to put flowers inside (if you put hot water in a 78 record it will get the format to this. A popular "decor" in 70s).

My parents go antique shopping with me all the time and I go "oh I like this" and they go "Oh, God, we had stuff like that in our house. I hated it then, I hate it now." I am so jealous of them for the fact that they got to grow up with all of them fantastic things!

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
In deep enough! But I suppose it's just a superficial, stereotypical definition of the past. I love the style of the 40's and 50's but it's a love of the movies and cars and coke and Leave it to Beaver. I guess it's just an interpretation of the past, like Norman Rockwell paintings, but it's how I see my life. It's not really important what the date on the calendar is, it's how you look at things.

martinsantos

Practically Family
I believe that we can't runaway from our times. The point is to find what we want from our times, and what we want from other times.

(for example, I love the 40s - but I think I wouldn't like to be in a dentist's chair from 40s. About my teeth, I prefer to be very very modern).

I also get it because I look at the world through these rose-colored glasses that show things a la Leave it to Beaver or Normal Rockwell artwork. But I think if I took off the glasses, I'd lose hope in the world.

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
I don't consider myself to dress vintage nor do I want to. I am trying to develop a style that is classic/timeless but with an edge. Not a copy of any past eras or styles but inspired by them: A little European, a little 30-40's, a little bespoke / 007, a little Luftwaffe, throw in an outdoor look inspired by early Everest expeditions and some turn of the century African big game hunting.

I'd like to dress so that I would be considered to look good 70-80 years ago and 70-80 year in the future.

I'm not positive how it will develop or where it will go, but I know I want to change the way I dress and develop real style.

Alex

Practically Family
It's so great that people share the same love of this era. I like hearing others views and opinions on this topic because I can definitely relate to many of them.

Pompidou

One Too Many
It's not deep at all for me. I've owned four fedoras. I've given two away. I still have two, but one is a Vintage Silhouettes, and is the only one I wear. The other will be going to a friend eventually. I've decided all my hats have to be one of a kind. The other is just a Stetson. I have no interest in going totally vintage. In as many ways as is realistic, I try to be one of a kind - just for the sake of it. I like picking and choosing from everything that's available rather than finding a theme and running with it - not that that's not great as well. Most of my standout style choices make people ask, "Where the hell did you get that?" My scrolling LED belt buckle happens to read, "Oh, I'd love to be an Oscar Mayer weiner!" which is vintage, so I guess that counts, too. I could set it for some other vintage phrase later if I think of a funny one. My clip on tie looks blocky and pixelated like an 80s videogame, and 80s are more vintage than I'd like to admit at 32. I've got a new favorite pin of a Fender Rhodes keyboard from the 70s that often finds its way on my shirts. So, I suppose there's vintage style on me after all.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
It's harder for the ladies to do 30's nowadays on a daily basis ( I know two in LA that do).

Not if you do your own sewing!

I used to dress exclusively 1938-1941, but I don't anymore. Jeans and girl-cut Tshirts now with the ocassional handmade dress. When my work went to "casual all the time" I had a shift in dress. And my husband didn't really like the "all-vintage all-the-time" thing so I toned it down. I like it better this way. I was alienating a lot of people who didn't know how to approach me (and have told me now that I dress more "normal"!)

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
My vintage style is only as deep as my wallet allows. I chose to retire in my early 40s and live a life of thrift so I could do things that are more rewarding to me. Any vintage I find must be at a pretty low price for me to buy it. If it isn't priced very low I wait until I find a good price for it. Almost everything I've wanted comes to me for cheap if I wait long enough and the waiting makes the getting sweeter when it finally comes around. I can't afford to pay premium for vintage but I've got a couple hats and a nice collection of vintage ties and that's enough for me.

For me real vintage clothing tends to be hard to find in my size so I try to echo vintage style as best I can with modern clothing. The only vintage I own are a few hats and some great mens bold look ties found on Ebay.

rue

I guess I should add to this since I bumped the thread ;)

I would say that my vintage is pretty deep. I live a completely vintage lifestyle (aside from using a computer). The vintage music, the vintage truck, the antique house and I'm a full time vintage housewife. The only thing that's missing is a complete vintage wardrobe and knowing how to sew, but I'm in the process of working on both :)

Nine

New in Town
NOt very deep. I enjoy the hairstyles, though, don't wear my hair like it often. I own quite a few vintage pieces, but, don't wear them every day. I enjoy going to vintage sales an dressing up and that sort of thing, but I am as happy in jeans as a 1950's dress. I suppose I am a bit of a 1950's housewife, I enjoy baking and sewing, but that's as far as it goes. I'm not the sort of person to wear my hair in victory rolls and wear a girdle, either ( though you lovely ladies that do, I have nothing but respect for you!)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
My style isn't very vintage... I dress quite modern, but with classic sensibilities. I do often dress what is often called "smart casual," which includes anything from a polo shirt, to dress shirt with a tie and sport coat, as well as primarily chinos or slacks. It's really the hats that add vintage style (and only one is actually vintage), otherwise my clothing is pretty contemporary, yet classic, having existed many decades before. I suppose I would like to acquire more sport coats, and eventually a suit that I can use with versatility, such as a grey or navy color. I style my hair using vintage pomade or hair cream products, though. Not actually old... but from the same companies, and made today.

LandGirl1980

New in Town
I try to dress how I feel. Some days I am in a very authentic feeling mood - and others I am not. But I am not a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl - jeans and shirt, yes - in a Rosie the Riveter (r.i.p) kind of way, so it would always be teamed with a headscarf. But most days I am in a practical but skirted ensemble. Or a dress. I like to think that they way I dress is a constant reflection of me. I think people around me would be quite shocked if I didn't have curled hair or red lippy on.

And - I don't own a lot of vintage pieces... more what I thrift and make into my own style :)

Snowdrop

Familiar Face
Similarly to Landgirl, it depends on the mood I'm in as to how vintage I go. Some days I liked to be totally authentic and will make sure my clothing, make-up and hair are all styled accordingly, other days I'm just in normal clothes. I'm definitely not a jeans and t-shirt girl though, in fact, I'm not even sure I own a t-shirt. On my non-vintage days I'll likely be found in a skirt/cardigan, dress or jeans and a shirt, I think my style edges more toward the 'classical'.

I do however, like to keep my 1950's apartment looking as vintage as possible at all times. I've just finished (finally) decorating my living room and inkeeping with the original fireplace, I've gone for a very 'mid-century modern' look in there, which I love!

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
I wouldn't say my fashion is too deeply vintage thought I really enjoy pulling off some vintage styles. Despite how I usually dress, my interest in the Golden Age is very deep, steaming from the years between 9-14 when I read mostly hard boiled detective novels. Thats around the time my Dad bought me my first fedora, a cheap J.C. Penny wool one that I wore until it ceased to fit.
I still love the music, style, and stories from 1920-1950 also stories and movies about that era if its depicted right.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
I have no other clothes but vintage clothes, excluding all the underpinnings. If bits of clothing aren't original vintage, they've either been knitted for me from a vintage pattern, or they're shoes and hats, which seem to be pretty similar either way if I can get the right ones. Teachers are always bemused when I hand them type-written essays too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner