Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Secondhandlion96

New in Town
Well I just received my first vintage hat this week that I bought from a fellow FL member...A Stetson 25. My wife and I went out to eat last night and asked me were I wanted to go. I responded.."My favorite Itailian restaurant". It is a local restaurant that looks like a speak easy from the 20's. Old photos on the walls and a large picture of Capone by the register. We dressed the part. I broke out a new long black coat I got for Christmas along with a scarf and the 25. My wife wore her new red coat and a black wool ha fitting the era. It was a great feeling walking into the restaurant.

After leaving the restaurant, we walked next door to a grocery store to pick up a couple of items. One lady passed me, smiled and commented to me, "You sure are a fine looking couple". As we exited the store a young blonde gave me a double take and a nice smile. Even my wife commented about it. I know it wasn't me because I'm nothing to look at. I give all the credit to the Stetson 25. Either way, it was a good feeling.

Can't wait to get more fedoras. I've found my look. Thanks Stetson.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Well I just received my first vintage hat this week that I bought from a fellow FL member...A Stetson 25. My wife and I went out to eat last night and asked me were I wanted to go. I responded.."My favorite Itailian restaurant". It is a local restaurant that looks like a speak easy from the 20's. Old photos on the walls and a large picture of Capone by the register. We dressed the part. I broke out a new long black coat I got for Christmas along with a scarf and the 25. My wife wore her new red coat and a black wool ha fitting the era. It was a great feeling walking into the restaurant.

After leaving the restaurant, we walked next door to a grocery store to pick up a couple of items. One lady passed me, smiled and commented to me, "You sure are a fine looking couple". As we exited the store a young blonde gave me a double take and a nice smile. Even my wife commented about it. I know it wasn't me because I'm nothing to look at. I give all the credit to the Stetson 25. Either way, it was a good feeling.

Can't wait to get more fedoras. I've found my look. Thanks Stetson.

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Isn't it amazing the ego and self esteem boost a hat, or should I say the RIGHT hat, can give you? I notice that I feel more confident and secure when I wear my hats.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Sure it boosts self esteem and confidence - not least if folks around you react in a positive tone. Maybe we should take the issue that little extra way and start being a bit more aware and complimenting towards the people we meet ... hat or no hat. They most likely enjoy it just as much as we do :)

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
On wednesday I had a meeting, after the meeting I stopped at my local general store, this place is a real throwback to the 1800's & was at a crossroads accross from the "local" church so people could grab a few quick items & leave. I've known the owner (Jim) since the 70's, so he knows me right off.
Well, it was a slow time & Jim had some guy in there gabbing about church & god & whatnot, so I just nodded & passed him by to look for my item.
I couldnt find it so I stopped a respectful distance & waited for them to stop, manners & all that ya know ;)
Once Jim acknowledged me I asked about my item, while this guy is eyeing me up & down, the guy then hits me in the shoulder & asks if I'm a preacher. I chuckled & said no, I wasnt but I do deacon rarely, mainly up north. The guy assumed because of my dress I was a preacher :eusa_doh:

I was wearing my charcoal grey vest & pants, a pale grey shirt, cordovan captoed shoes, a mid grey overcoat & my stetson. Oh man. I'm not trying to be racist but the white preachers here dont dress that nicely, the black preachers do but then again that group here always looks sharper than the white churchgoers. And I have no idea how the hispanic community here dresses, the very little I've seen seems to be jeans & such since a lot of them are either chicken plant workers or migrating field workers.

Otherwise I've had the business people I work with & meet with have had only positive comments about my dress, but since Realtors have a "code" they have to adher to I'm guessing any negative comments are either kept to themselves, kept to whispers so I cant hear it, or its on a gossip chain I ignore. (shrug)
Like others have said, I dress to please myself first & foremost, my family second & I really dont care about others. I've worn various uniforms over the years so I do take pride in my looks, even if I did grow up during the hippy hippy years. :D

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I rarely get comments on my fedoras, but yesterday I wore my black Fed IV to a funeral and got not one, not two, but THREE compliments. That might have been partly due to the older people who were there, but still....

triggerxing

New in Town
hat reactions

As much as I like a good hat it just isn't something worn much nowadays. Wearing a hat makes you stand out most of the time. In the Internet I've seen a very aggressive anti-fedora stance and a lot of stereotyping on anyone that wears a hat, especially on us younger men.

I haven't had any negative remarks thrown my way, but a family member told me that I was getting some looks when we went to Walmart after church on a Sunday. My friends usually say I dress like the Godfather, I mostly wear chinos with sportcoats, and I've gotten called a pachuco too. All in good fun, never really had any negative reaction from anyone. My Grandfather says my hats suit me and he wears western hats from time to time. What I read on the Internet gets to me sometimes and I become self-consensus about my hat but I still wear 'em because I like it and the weather here sometimes demands it.

Almost without exception, if someone does mention something about a hat I'm wearing it's usually something positive and complimentary. Wear your hat with pride and confidence. Hats often command respect in my experience.(especially a top hat!)

triggerxing

New in Town
Almost without exception, if someone does mention something about a hat I'm wearing it's usually something positive and complimentary. Wear your hat with pride and confidence. Hats often command respect in my experience.(especially a top hat!)

DougC

Practically Family
Last week, I was walking out of the courthouse and heading for the car...a lady shouted "I like your hat!" from across the street. I had on my Premier Strat...this was after a judge asked me to meet in chambers where he proceeds to give me a couple owl feathers to put in the ribbon. I'd say people react favorably to my hat wearing.

m0nk

One Too Many
Last week, I was walking out of the courthouse and heading for the car...a lady shouted "I like your hat!" from across the street. I had on my Premier Strat...this was after a judge asked me to meet in chambers where he proceeds to give me a couple owl feathers to put in the ribbon. I'd say people react favorably to my hat wearing.

I get this quite often as well.

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
Yesterday, on Saturday afternoon, as I was depositing my bus fare, the driver said, "Stylin' hat, sir!"

About 8 hours later on Saturday night, a cab drove by me at a fairly far distance: I'd estimate it to be about 30-40 feet away from where I was walking. The cab had two or three semi-drunk young ladies in the back, apparently on their way to some club. A couple of them shouted towards me and made cheering noises at me, but I could only discern the words of the one nearest to the the window that was facing my direction. She shouted things like, "I love how you look. You are gorgeous. You are so cute. I'm being serious. I really mean it!"

My back was to them when they first noticed me, and after I turned around, I still would have been too far away for them to see my facial details properly. Their positive attention to me must have been generated primarily by my hat and overcoat rather than any by any of my anatomical features.

Dr. Lucky

New in Town
Generally, I get nothing but compliments about my hats. I've never really gotten a negative reaction from anyone, at least that I've noticed. My wife tells me I have a bit more swagger in my step when I'm wearing a hat.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
As much as I like a good hat it just isn't something worn much nowadays. Wearing a hat makes you stand out most of the time. In the Internet I've seen a very aggressive anti-fedora stance and a lot of stereotyping on anyone that wears a hat, especially on us younger men.

I haven't had any negative remarks thrown my way, but a family member told me that I was getting some looks when we went to Walmart after church on a Sunday. My friends usually say I dress like the Godfather, I mostly wear chinos with sportcoats, and I've gotten called a pachuco too. All in good fun, never really had any negative reaction from anyone. My Grandfather says my hats suit me and he wears western hats from time to time. What I read on the Internet gets to me sometimes and I become self-consensus about my hat but I still wear 'em because I like it and the weather here sometimes demands it.

Yea, I've seen some of what's being thrown from people. Some areas are do not take kindly to folk such as us. Though, I will say, curse my curiousity on what the "anti-hat" alliance have to say about us. Unfortunately, it has fashioned itself into more pedestrian and banal repition...

On a lighter side, my aunt said I looked like my grandfather from when he was younger.

Some Random Bloke

New in Town
I have a cheap but comfortable leather safari style hat. The other day in a shop the sales assistant asked me what I did (thought it a strange question) and then proceeded to tell me he thought I was a farmer. Time for a new hat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had my first Indiana comment in months today (wearing a green Panizza with a 1 & 7/8" brim) [huh] I suppose at least it's a fedora :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails