Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do i clean the fur on a quite dirty b3?

wild_balls

Practically Family
I wonder how I clean a quite dirty fur (mostly the collar) of a b3 jacket! Heard of regular shampoo, but I thought it would be best to ask you guys here at the forum!!! If I clean it now, it might be dry before winter:D:D!

Cheers Joakim

Dumb&dumber

Familiar Face
Wash it sofly in warm water, baby shampoo is OK.
Air dry it only, treat the leather part with Pecards or similar, even if still humid.
Good luck

Edward

Bartender
Something like green soap (used in the theatre industry for costumes), or a proprietary product like Vanish soap, dezigned for spot cleaning.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
What's this *cleaning* you earth men speak of?
WW2 bomber crews didn't clean their B-3's!:eeek:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I would go with the most gentle, least invasive cleaner you can find - not, I repeat, not washing-up liquid! If you're not careful, it'll strip it of any natural oil and leave wiry and dry and prone to wear.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Big J, I've been pre-occupied recently with fast two wheeled transport but having scratched the itch & purchased one (Yamaha T-Max)..I'm devoting more time to the FL again :)

Last edited:

wild_balls

Practically Family
I think you are absolutely right there Sloan, might even put some lanolin oil back to the fur!
Thank you all for your advice, even the dirty ones!!!

Cheers Joakim

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Ok, you need special Woolite cleaner, something that is specifically designed for WOOL!

I will get back to you with what I use, it is specifically used for simply spraying on in a mixed solution and then dabbed and that is ALL!

Anything else will take the natural oils from the fleece and ruin it.

WE all want some *BEFORE* Pics, I will be the Judge.

Personally DO NOT clean it unless it has a bad odor.

Infact, if its original, wear it with respect if at all, I consider an Original B-3 Jacket to be a sacred thing and deserves to be preserved.

Last edited:

wild_balls

Practically Family
It is not an original b3! I wouldn't clean such a sacred thing! This one is a very early and well worn real mccoys b3.
Will post pictures when I get back home from one of the most beautiful places in the world, the Naeröyfjord in Norway!

Cheers Joakim

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Eucalan is what its called, Its good!

smells nice and you dont rinse it out, Simply spray on a diluted mix and Dab with cloth (NO RINSE!!! :D), Its worked well so far, will remove slight soiling and bad odors well enough without being harsh on the fleece.

My mom is a professional wool worker and this is what she buys to use, its not cheap but one bottle will last years.

Here is what it looks like, and I think you need the lanolin enriched wash for sheepskin or wool:

http://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&key...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9r2t7wa3i7_b

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy