Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you store your hats?

jec

One of the Regulars
ScottF said:
jec - hanks again for this recommendation. I ended up ordering two, and here's how they worked out (great for a 480-sq foot condo):

HatsRacks.jpg

These look great! Glad these racks worked well for you, too.

Stan

A-List Customer
Evils to stacking?

Hi,

Well, I know of three offhand. I'm sure others will add to the list!

One, is that skin oils from a sweatband wind up staining the crown of a lower hat.

Two, is that the ribbons on the lower hats often wind up wrinkled.

Three, is that sometimes the lower hat wind up with crease lines in the crowns from the weight. This is if you get too many stacked, of course.

I'm sure there are others that don't readily come to my mind as I've not suffered them personally as I have these three.....

I prefer the use hatboxes, one hat in each, and then stack *those*.

Now, I've seen 'master pack' hatboxes that hold up to six hats with support rings in between. These were used by the hat makers to ship hats to the stores. In this case, the hats were different sizes, so they stacked with less vertical space required in the box than all-one-size would. I can't see using these for personal storage of more than two or three hats where five or six originally fit.....

I noticed that some the JohnnyPhi hats showed support ring creases on their brims from having spent decades in their master pack hat boxes, instead of the few weeks or months the makers probably were expecting when they designed those hatboxes. So, I'd not opt for this storage method, either.....

later!

Stan

Dated Guy

Familiar Face
For myself and my collection, which is small granted, but, all I have is a bunch of guitar hooks on the music room wall, one guitar, plus a fedora hat, been doing this for years, due to the size of collection, I sometimes double up the summer wear ones on top of the banjo and bass guitars, the rest, well, I wear them too often to worry about dust, there is probably more debris from my head than outside the hat.....:D

wrvavra

New in Town
Rather than guitar hooks, like Dated Guy, I simply put my hat on the headstock of whichever guitar is leaning upright against the couch on a given day.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stan said:
Hi,
One, is that skin oils from a sweatband wind up staining the crown of a lower hat.

Two, is that the ribbons on the lower hats often wind up wrinkled.

Three, is that sometimes the lower hat wind up with crease lines in the crowns from the weight. This is if you get too many stacked, of course.

I'm sure there are others that don't readily come to my mind as I've not suffered them personally as I have these three.....

I prefer the use hatboxes, one hat in each, and then stack *those*.
I'm convinced about the hat boxes now. But where can I get them? I'd probably need to buy five or ten (not every hat will go into one).

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
danofarlington said:
I'm convinced about the hat boxes now. But where can I get them? I'd probably need to buy five or ten (not every hat will go into one).

I just bought a few from Panamabob, off his ebay listings. He posts some from time to time. You may get lucky.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Homemade Hat Rack

Here's a couple of pics. of a little 6 hat rack that I made and installed this morning:

P1010109.jpg

I already had the hooks from another long forgotten project in the workshop and the backing piece is a surplus to requirement 'Formica' type board.

I lightly bolted it to a 'back of the door' type folding ironing board in a spare bathroom.

P1010110.jpg

The tennis balls seem to stop the hats moving too much upon opening and closing the door as well as giving the hooks more surface bearing area. I think squash balls or raquetballs would work better as they'd be a little more 'grippy'

MP

job

One Too Many
My straw hats are in boxes and my felt hats are hanging on the wall on my side of the bedroom. If needed I will brush them or use a lint roller to clean them.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes while driving I don't want to wear my hat, but there's nowhere to put it that's safe. Most of the van is cordoned off for my Millie the World's Best Dog, and I certainly don't want to put a hat back there on a trip. Neither do I wish to slip it just behind the console: too fraught with possibilities of damage. The other day, faced with this familiar dilemma, I rigged up a manzanita hat hook that mounts to the pooch barrier, doesn't impede my rear view, and keeps the hat from becoming part of the mayhem of road travel. Safe and ready to wear!

Here's the hook, mounted to the dog barrier:

6204f6665c8f19c81332110792.jpeg

And its hat, road-ready:

7564f666651f13981332110929.jpeg

Who says minivans and fedoras don't mix? (Not you, Bowlerman!) :)

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Cross-Posted from the Hat Storage thread.

My local Wal-Mart is blowing out these storage cubes at $10.00/pkg. Each box contains 16 panels. I found them in the aisle that has closet systems, shoe racks and the like.

6990541217_a95e01622b_z.jpg

I put together this configuration, and because there are many shared panels it took less than 3 boxes to make it. I just have it sitting on an old TV stand, but you could anchor it to a wall quite easily; the panels are made of a lightweight plastic film. Lousy for their intended purpose but perfect for hats!

6844417320_b87ab510e2_z.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Here's my rig with all my hats minus my WW homburg and Knox top hat which are on hat stands next to my desk, across from this unit.
At some point I owned about 120 but now I'm happily settled with 29 (actually 30 as there is one on its way which will go in the last remaining hook beneath the panama :D )

IMG_3050.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

Last edited:

Curly

New in Town
I use a "3-Tier Counter Hat Display" meant for retail display of up to 12 hats. It is similar to the one seabass is ordering, but the part that touches the hat is different. It is a bent metal half-circle that fits up into the crease of the hat's crown. I found it here:

http://www.specialtystoreservices.com/productdetails.aspx?productid=38068

and a few other online stes. They also have a "6-Tier Floor Hat Display" that holds 24 hats:

http://www.specialtystoreservices.com/productdetails.aspx?productid=38067

My experience with this store was positive: the price was the best I found (six months ago) and shipping was fast. They are in the Chicago area and offer in-person pickup at their showroom.

Last edited:

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently moved and converted the upstairs storage closet of this Victorian into a hat haven...or heaven ;) Here is a quick tour - not all of my hats but many of them.

http://youtu.be/3rV2aApiIB8

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran