Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you store your hats?

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
What I have so far. Not as exciting as the others, but more should be added sooner or later.

5e9ejygy.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Justin : That's how I picture, Alexandre Dumas would have described a musketeer's locker in 2014. It surely doesn't belong to any random "trench-hog"! ;)

gear-guy

Practically Family
Just last week I went with a telescoping shoe rack from Amazon. For about $25 I had to bend over two horns and leave one standing. What I got was a carousel thats would hold 4 hats. Flat caps hanging required no change.

20140406_125417.jpg
20140406_125427.jpg
20140406_125447.jpg

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I can fit 18 cloches in one extra large hat box and all hats are in an excel spreadsheet. I have recently turned the spare bedroom into my hat room. I can stack about 12 boxes on top of each other and my hats are still safe. I will take pictures this week to show the setup. Not home right now.

Foam rings

I thought I would share this photo of the simple method I use to protect tall ribbons and longhair finishes when stacking hats.
The rings are held with two staples, whose sharp points are safely buried by the foam.

foam.jpg

Where do you get such foam Alan, and does it already come cut in strips.
I've noticed at the one legit hat seller here in town, he uses a similar techniqqe when stacking different sizes of the same model on the shelves.

Most cities will have a place that specializes in foam that would have many choices, but Joann Fabric will work too. This 1/2" thick foam came in a large sheet. I cut it to 3" by 26" strips on my paper cutter at work. A pair of scissors would work fine too.

fedoracentric

Banned

viclip

Practically Family
I buy concrete expansion joint foam at the hardware store.

View attachment 15727

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-4-in-x-50-ft-Expansion-Joint-for-Concrete-EXP04050/203151902

It is four inches high.

Then I cut a length that is 1 inch larger than the crown and hot glue the ends together and then I can stack them like Alan above.

This stuff has the advantage of being stiff enough that it stands up quite well and won't bend under the weight of the hats sitting on top of each other.

Good thinking fedoracentric, thx for the tip!

I see that this material also comes in 6" size:

http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?PageIndex=621

That would make it useful for most hats with contoured brims which need to be stored upside down, including factory-set fedoras & especially westerns which often slope down both front & rear. The expansion joint material could replace those awkward cardboard supports with their supplemental foam cushioning.

I'll see if I can find some of the 6" stuff locally at one of the concrete supply establishments catering to contractors. I doubt whether Home Depot would special order some.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
There have been a few changes to the hats and the display, so I thought I would share :)

From top left to bottom right:
1920s Stetson Select, 1900s Stetson No.1, 1920s Stetson Nutria Velour, 1920s Crofut & Knapp, 1930s Stetson 3x, 1940s Borsalino, and a 1920s Stetson Boss Raw Edge, with two 20s caps and a C&K post card. The Jack Daniels and Pint bottles are pre-40s, that I found while out and about.

4u3u8apy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy