Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does a girl keep warm?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And, there is always fur!

l_e78ca41710f72cd839e55b3ed11268ef.jpg

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I would love to have furs like that. Unfortunately it's not really in my budget, and since I live in LA, I doubt I'd get much use out of one. I do have a fur stole and some fur collars though, but I have no idea where they are.

I recently bought a great deep purple wool coat from H&M for under $100. It's nice and heavy, and though it's not entirely vintage inspired, it's close enough! I'm probably going to wear it to the Queen Mary because I have nothing else warm and cute.

lyburnum

Practically Family
I've never quite been able to bring myself to wear real fur, even though I'm not a vegetarian. I think the creepiest looking fur items have to be those vintage dead fox scarves with the head and tail still attached *shudder*. I am a faux fur girl all the way.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
For what it's worth (not much!), I've heard many stories from my grandmother about the cold when she was my age in Montana in the fifties, 'cause I had the same questions--how did she stay warm?

The answer? She didn't. She'd come home from school and her legs would be blue from the walk. And when she was in college, the dorms weren't built yet so she slept in temporary shelters built from aluminum siding, with no insulation from the cold.

Then again, she tends to exaggerate the older she gets...lol

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
For me personally, the use of furs was 'the ugly side ' of the Golden Era. Let's leave this in the past and move on.
There are beautiful and useful synthetics we can use instead, there is no reason to use fur of animals to keep warm.
My two cents.

leaette

A-List Customer
as long as it's vintage fur, i have no problem with it because someone else bought it already.

i would NEVER buy new fur. there is no reason for it. there is enough great vintage fur out there to keep us gals warm and oh so good lookin'!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Let's not turn this thread into a debate over fur -- there have have been plenty of other threads about that issue, and there's really no need to repeat old arguments.

As far as keeping warm is concerned, I'm a big believer in flannel slips and cotton stockings. With other clothes on top of them, of course.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I'm looking for an alternative to black tights, something to wear with knit black dresses. I like the look of an opaque leg (so stockings, while a viable option, aren't what I'm looking for). Any great knit tights I should look at? Also, I worry that knit dresses willl stick to the tights, but I suppose that's what slips are for.

Kohls had what they called "sweater tights" for sale, with their regular tights. They were on sale last week for $5.00, not sure if they still are. They are made from a thick cotton material, similar to a light sweater. I bought an argyle pair, but they had black and brown as well. They're really nice to wear and warm, plus they're a little less expensive than tights I see for sale online.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Actually, that's a fake...

the fur on me, second from left, is faux. It's not very warm though!
I feel that wearing vintage fur is more respectful than letting it go in the landfill. And I would imagine all the people who are squeamish about fur are wearing leather shoes? If not, their choices are limited.
Enough about fur already, I can see how it can take over a thread.
When I was a freezing shopgirl (the door must always be open!) I used to wear a lot of layered petticoats, they really do help! And if you're doing a 50s look, they look great under a circle skirt. And there are nice quilted circle skirts too, those are almost too warm!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Heavy stockings (I like to buy tights and cut the legs off so I can wear them with my girdle). Layering skirts helps trap warm air. Knee high riding-style boots. Tweed. Wool boucl?©. Alpaca.

LONG UNDERWEAR. Remember ladies, we really don't have to be the portrait of vintage high fashion all the time :)

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I wear a lot of classic, wide leg pants in the winter. Under pants and with ankle length skits, I often wear footless tights, as my office is usually chilly. I bought them in dance supply stores, but it is handy that they have been "fashionable" lately. They are also great for under my wool skirts that I am very sensative to.

Under my shorter skirts, I would cut the legs off at about the knee, to keep the drafts down and the upper part of my legs warmer.

I wear dressy, knee high boots with my skirts in the winter, and bring shoes with me to change into, or leave a pair at the office. Sometimes, on the really cold days (when I lived in Upstate NY) I would actually wear a pair of pants under my skirt and take them off when I got to work. My mom said she did this as a kid in Minnesota, so I guess that would be vintage :) I also wore warm socks that I would take off when I got to work.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
LadyDeWinter said:
Miss 1929, you look gorgeous in the photo :eusa_clap And your little bolero is cute.
I wear long woolen socks under my wide legged trousers in winter, you can easily attached them to the garters of a girdle. They are really warm. I bought them here: http://www.sock-dreams.com/_shop/pages/socks_detail_ProductID_488.php

I'm considering ordering those too! Seems like a great way of keeping warm and still being able to feel a bit lovely because you are able to wear your girdle. I'm just not sure about if they are long enough, since my legs are on the fuller side.

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
NOT a fur debate!

Miss 1929 said:

Although I personally don't like fur (and your faux fur looks great!), all I have to say about fur is that it looks SOOOOO tacky on modern women! The only time fur ever looks classy is when it's worn how it is above. I notice it every time I'm downtown Chicago, these gawdy ladies wear it with their most expensive purses and jewelry...How do they think they actually look good?

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
GoldLeaf said:
I wear a lot of classic, wide leg pants in the winter. Under pants and with ankle length skits, I often wear footless tights, as my office is usually chilly. I bought them in dance supply stores, but it is handy that they have been "fashionable" lately. They are also great for under my wool skirts that I am very sensative to.

This is what I do too! I have some old leggings that are mainly my "around the house" and workout pants...I brought them with me to Chicago last year and they were sooo handy. My friends have a "garden level?" (basement...)apartment and it was freezing all the time, I wore them under my PJs too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy