Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does a girl keep warm?

Sugar Mamie

New in Town
flight jackets

Any of you ladies might know where I can find a G-1 jacket for a very small lady?
I've been after one for years, but the closest I got to one was a child's size, and the sleeves wouldn't pass my elbows...

I've searched ebay, etsy, reproductions. I found an A-2 on US wings for ladies, but I'd prefer the fur collar...

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bump, as it's COLD!!!

I don't know about you but I am not ready for the cold!

Our house heater is pathetic. I am spending a lot of tine in layers, as I am also having hot flashes, which are great for as long as they last but then suddenly they are gone...

My favorite thing is to wear those 50s sweaters that have a mink collar, they will really keep you warm and you look glamorous too.

And please, check out the lovely early 30s coat I have on Etsy! I am also putting stuff in the Classifieds that is there, hope that's OK.

Heather

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:

Our house heater is pathetic. I am spending a lot of tine in layers, as I am also having hot flashes, which are great for as long as they last but then suddenly they are gone...

My favorite thing is to wear those 50s sweaters that have a mink collar, they will really keep you warm and you look glamorous too.

And please, check out the lovely early 30s coat I have on Etsy! I am also putting stuff in the Classifieds that is there, hope that's OK.

how do I find you on etsy?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Miss 1929 said:

heh....Old house heaters....mine is much the same.

I woke up yesterday and it was 55 inside the house...brrrr ..I now have to deal with the 'burning dust' aroma for a day or so....

I spent the day in a very non vintage hooded sweatshirt (hood up) and thick socks...inside the house

MarieAnne

Practically Family
My new house has a woodstove. We also have electric baseboards but we try not to use them. Electric heat gets expensive in Eastern Ontario. The woodstove gets the house so cozy. It took me a while to warm up to it (haha pun intended!) as I've never used one before. I have a little rocking chair in front of it, I like to sit there to hem stuff (by hand) and do my cross stitch.
I wonder what my Gramma would wear in the winter. She lived in Quebec - I've seen pictures of my grandfather standing in the walkway after shoveling and the snow comes to his chest.

Heather

Practically Family
Woodstoves are great! Sounds strange but I actually kind of look forward to the cold so we can use it. In my case, the rocking chair is next to the woodstove where I like to do my knitting. Hehe!

On the subject of staying warm outdoors, I was thinking of maybe switching to longer, heavier skirts.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I pulled out all my long underwear this weekend. Brought up all the coats from storage. However - I have a question. Has anyone run across a good source for thicker tights or long socks for plus size girls? I love the look of knitted tights with texture but generally my calves and thighs are too robust to fit in them. Especially the tall socks.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Have you checked Sock Dreams, The Shirt? (I like calling you that, as we have a cat whom we address as The Sidler. ;) )
Sock Dreams has a vast array of tall socks, over the knee socks, thigh-his, stockings, tights, etc. and each product has a small review of how it fits, how it stretches, etc. Some of their offerings are done in a plus size, as well. And free shipping. :)

The Shirt

Practically Family
I have dug around a little on that site but wasn't finding a plus size listing. I will look more carefully at the reviews for fit and see what I come up with. Thanks for the suggestion!

SayCici

Practically Family
Did you use their 'plus sized' option in their search bar? I know when I've bought from there before I've seen the option, but of course now whe nI actually search it out I can't find them.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
The Shirt said:
I pulled out all my long underwear this weekend. Brought up all the coats from storage. However - I have a question. Has anyone run across a good source for thicker tights or long socks for plus size girls? I love the look of knitted tights with texture but generally my calves and thighs are too robust to fit in them. Especially the tall socks.
Since textured tights are all the rage, all the major stores are carrying them. I ordered a bunch from http://www.avenue.com but they haven't arrived yet. JessicaLondon.com is showing them, as is roamans.com and womanwithin.com. I think even jms.com might have them, but their tights don't hold up to the laundry very well.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
And maybe look in the Dream Stockings category, which is their own line. Like Cici, I haven't actively searched for plus size there, but most definitely remember seeing several of their offerings with a plus size option. Also, it might be worth emailing a query to them. They've always been very friendly in all my transactions, so it's possible someone there will happily provide you links to items you're looking for.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Thanks ladies for the help. I will look into your suggestions. I was hoping that since they have become a little more trendy some of the plus size shops might carry them. I basically want thick cabled socks that are either in the form of tights or tall socks. Most of what I've seen for years has been more of a thinner trouser sock weight or actual tights. I'm in that in-between worlds when it comes to sizing.

I did just order some boots from WomanWithin that I love already. I don't know why I didn't think of them.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
The Shirt said:
Thanks ladies for the help. I will look into your suggestions. I was hoping that since they have become a little more trendy some of the plus size shops might carry them.
All of the sites I mentioned are plus-sized shops. Or were you talking abut brick-and-mortar shops? I haven't been in a brick-and-mortar shop in years!

The Shirt

Practically Family
It is always nice to try on - but I'm ok with ordering online. Especially if there are reviews. And you guys are certainly helpful too!

BlameOnMame

New in Town
Magdalena said:
I asked my grandma about this and she said she actually wore pants under her dresses:eek: :eusa_doh: (this answer did not satisfy me:mad: ).Probably just as long as the dress or skirt was so it didnt look funny.Do keep in mind though that South Dakota isnt really what you might call a fashion capital.

This is actually not as bad as it sounds! I do it sometimes and it always works out well. I wear a thick-ish, no shorter than mid calf-length pleated skirt. Underneath, I wear some very thin pants (think leggings), then I have these fantastic knee socks from target that are a similar color as my skin and they have a light gray back seam, I pull them up, over the leggings. Then I have enough layers that my feet and legs wont get too cold, therefore I don't have to look super frumpy and wear boots with a long skirt.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic:
Blame on Mame, your signature is one of my favorite quotes from that FAN-tastic movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy